Drive system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive system

Well I personally think that probably the best tranny for a bbshd or the new ultra just may be the SRAM ex1 eblock cassette with dedicated derailleur shifter and chain. These power house motors do not need a 14 speed rohloff that you end up shifting 2 gears at a time and problems underload shifting or even a standard 10 or 11 speed derailleur I think k is overkill also. I am considering splurging for the SRAM as cost has come down a bit and I think with a 42 to 48 front chainring would be awesome. Please everyone give your opinions. My build is 99% street ridden but the 42 and 48 rear cigs on the SRAM cassette will climb anything with ease even with a 48 front and SRAM claims these shift very well under a load!
    Last edited by Scott S; 10-25-2017, 11:27 AM. Reason: Typos

My buddy's worked on bikes using it, he said it's nice but not so nice it justifies ten times the price.

Comment

I hear ya. Actually the derailleur; chain and shifter are no worse than top of the barrel Shimano but that dang cassette lol. But the price has dropped on the cassette. Drops some more and I may indulge!
      Last edited by Scott S; 10-25-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I've been drooling over the SRAM EX1 but just can't justify the price. My current setup is a 9 speed and a I've got fat bike with three sets of rear wheels. Replacing all three would just be too much.
        Last edited by mtm408; 10-26-2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I am a big fan of the ex1, if only for the big spacing between gears. The whole system is now just under $500. I have done 11-42 10 speed cassette, 11-40 9 speed cassettes, but you have to have a long cage to start with and no matter how well it works, one is still shifting many gears at once. You can't use the 11 cog because it skips. If you have to save money just run the 46t sunflower with the ex1 and that saves $100 to start and when you need another people on this list will probably pay you to take their bafang pie disc off their hands. ;-) I go through a couple of chainrings a season so compare at $300. (46 to 40 is not low enough so I have to use a Lekkie on the 9 and 10 speeds)

Comment

Working...
          X