Roam Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roam Fusion

What are your experiences and opinions of the Roam Fusion from Luna Cycles? Am looking for using it as a commuter on mostly paved, some trails with mostly flat to low incline hills. Distances are 10-12 miles one way. I am right under 200 lbs with some moderate riding experience. Appreciate any advice and insight.

Also looking at Roam Fusion. Experienced road and MTB rider, I want to make 15 mile round trips several times each week to pick up medium to small packages. Also I want to use it for 8mile round trip grocery shopping, both those runs are on hard top roads. But I live in pretty steep rolling hills and 800' vertical mountain ridges on gravel roads as well.
    I plan to put on fatter tires than come stock on the bike. My Question: Is this a good choice for a bike for thes conditions/uses. I think it might be.

Thanks in advance for your comments/ suggestions.
    Dana

Comment

The nex front fork has clearance for wide tires but the rear chainstays may be an issue.
      Last edited by Scott S; 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM. Reason: Wrong place info initially given

Comment

The tires was an issue I thought about as well. Several other standard bike forums have addressed this and have some good suggestions. Anybody out there have experience with the Roam Fusion from Luna?

Comment

• solarvolt
          solarvolt commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd like very much to see what riders of this bike are experiencing.
          Also. . Did you go with the Ludicrous controller? What of that experience? Tires?

Do you by chance have any giant dealers near you? Maybe check them and see if they have a roam on the floor and have a look. Many many times these hybrid bikes do not have clearance in the chainstays for much wider tires than they come with and even a little wider may rub under heavy load from the bbshd and the rear wheel must be kept perfect true.
        A great tire for commuting on that bike if it will clear the rear is a schwalbe energizer plus in 2 inch wide. (622x50)
        Last edited by Scott S; 10-29-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

What kind of distances are you finding? Is the wiring/set up suitable for that bike?

Comment

I did not go with the roam because I could not find an answer about rear tire clearance. Luna does fine wiring it up. I see zero issues if you get one and do it yourself. I went with a gravity 29.1 MTB knowing the rear would take my 2 inch wide energizers. I also bought Tektro Dorado's for brakes and some jaqwire adapters to run the rear hydraulic brake lines via original cable guides. Also a rokshox silver 29 rl air fork which being I am 99.9 % on the street I could have done without but it is speced for the 203mm discs I got with the Dorado's. The stock xct suntour fork is speced only for 180 discs but others have used 203. I did not want to risk it and in hind site 180 discs would have probably been sufficient.

Comment

So from those who went with pre-built, what is the overall consensus?
              Last edited by bootaggie; 11-03-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

81 views and no replies??!!

Comment

I don't have one but I would get one if I knew a 2 inch wide tire would fit the rear. I love that big battery with custom case for the frame triangle.

Comment

Come on group, give us some insight!

Comment

Originally posted by bootaggie View Post
                      Come on group, give us some insight!
                      I didn't even know this existed because I am a DIY guy. That battery is a hoot. I am running a 24 amp GA triangle and it is the best thing I have bought. The hardest thing about any build is installing the battery properly or maybe I should say having it look like a professional job.

My battery is $800 for 24 amps or $33.33 per amp. This Roam has 34 amps X $33.33 = $1,133.22. With the case the battery alone is worth $14 - 1500. A BBSHD kit is $679. So you are paying $650 or so for the bike. The Giant Roam is listed at $480. I don't know how Luna is making any money on this at all. I think it is one of the best buys for any Ebike anywhere. To me it is a no brainer.

Riding sensibly you should get 100 miles out of the battery that is a week of 20 mile commutes.

Scott you are so worried about tire size but you want someone else to give you the answer. Call Giant ask someone to measure a frame where the rear tire is. Get in a car, do it yourself or find/call a LBS.

If I didn't have to many Ebikes right now I would buy this just for the battery. I am surprised they are not sold out. This is an Ultimate commuter. AAhhhhhh I can't stand it.......CALFEE

Comment

No I am not the guy worried about tire size. I did my homework and hence no roam. First part that needs to go on that bike is the front fork. It can be easily replaced with a paradigm but at the issue of clearance only to a 47 front tire. Next step would be a rl fork with 29 mm spacers to bring the geometry into realm. It is fine as is if you don't have to brake hard ever. Somehow that does not work for me and either does the massive 4 inch tire crowd for 0avement use,.it has to fit at least 2 inch wide front and rear. Gets you up around the lower pressure range and I have raced enough superbikes to know when a tire is tow wide for a bike
                        It becomes strictly drag after a given point. Remember we arc when turning. We are not cars lol

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
                          I don't have one but I would get one if I knew a 2 inch wide tire would fit the rear. I love that big battery with custom case for the frame triangle.
                          If you are not the guy worried about the tire size where did the above come from.

My opinion, any short comings this bike has can be fixed. All that matters is the BATTERY.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

I didn't even know this existed because I am a DIY guy. That battery is a hoot. I am running a 24 amp GA triangle and it is the best thing I have bought. The hardest thing about any build is installing the battery properly or maybe I should say having it look like a professional job.

My battery is $800 for 24 amps or $33.33 per amp. This Roam has 34 amps X $33.33 = $1,133.22. With the case the battery alone is worth $14 - 1500. A BBSHD kit is $679. So you are paying $650 or so for the bike. The Giant Roam is listed at $480. I don't know how Luna is making any money on this at all. I think it is one of the best buys for any Ebike anywhere. To me it is a no brainer.

Riding sensibly you should get 100 miles out of the battery that is a week of 20 mile commutes.

Scott you are so worried about tire size but you want someone else to give you the answer. Call Giant ask someone to measure a frame where the rear tire is. Get in a car, do it yourself or find/call a LBS.

If I didn't have to many Ebikes right now I would buy this just for the battery. I am surprised they are not sold out. This is an Ultimate commuter. AAhhhhhh I can't stand it.......CALFEE
                            Thanks for the comments and advice. Appreciate hearing from people with a little more experience in this before making a final decision!

Comment

Working...
                            X