Two Throttles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Throttles

I posted this over on my thread in DD hubs but because there doesn't seem to be much traffic there I decided to put it here also. Some people may find this important or at least interesting because there is a lot of talk about the legality of our bikes.

"I stumbled on something the other day while riding this bike that may be useful to anyone using an external controller. This would also work with a BBSHD if you are using an external controller.

I put two throttles on the bike to compare a Grin part with a cyclone throttle. I also didn't want to give up my ignition switch. I don't use a throttle much so it took a little while to realize the throttles had different outputs. The Cyclone part is plugged into the controller and the Grin throttle goes through the Cycle Analyst. I also have a three position power switch plugged into the controller. The Cyclone throttle gives me the full power that the system is capable of while the other throttle and the Cycle Analyst gives me PAS and any amount of total watts that I want to set the program for.

With this setup you could have a Legal 750 watt bike and the full power on tap at the same time. If you were stopped you could show the 750 watt programming and probably walk away from trouble."

What do you think?.................calfee

So if you bury both throttles does it go twice as fast?

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you are being sarcastic. The maximum is from the throttle connected to the controller. The other one has the Cycle Analyst in between.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
    I posted this over on my thread in DD hubs but because there doesn't seem to be much traffic there I decided to put it here also. Some people may find this important or at least interesting because there is a lot of talk about the legality of our bikes.

"I stumbled on something the other day while riding this bike that may be useful to anyone using an external controller. This would also work with a BBSHD if you are using an external controller.

I put two throttles on the bike to compare a Grin part with a cyclone throttle. I also didn't want to give up my ignition switch. I don't use a throttle much so it took a little while to realize the throttles had different outputs. The Cyclone part is plugged into the controller and the Grin throttle goes through the Cycle Analyst. I also have a three position power switch plugged into the controller. The Cyclone throttle gives me the full power that the system is capable of while the other throttle and the Cycle Analyst gives me PAS and any amount of total watts that I want to set the program for.

With this setup you could have a Legal 750 watt bike and the full power on tap at the same time. If you were stopped you could show the 750 watt programming and probably walk away from trouble."

What do you think?.................calfee
    That is a great idea. Something new under the sun.

Comment

I think that would probably work out fine! But where are you located?
      Robert

Comment

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        For some reason I didn't realize my location wasn't filled in. Fixed now.

I learned more yesterday. The Cycle Analyst controls my PAS and when I crack the throttle going into the CA my PAS dies until I get the throttle twisted enough to provide some watts. There is a thread with members complaining about this with newer BBSHDs.

Now if I use my other throttle, the one going directly to the controller, The PAS continues to work and there are no interruptions. When the throttle is finally opened enough to provide more watts than the PAS setting it just very smoothly takes over.

Now I can see why the BBSHD owners are aggravated by the loss of this feature.

Comment

Working...
      X