Hunting Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Setup

I know there are a few people on the forum that hunt and have built bikes for that purpose. I built my fat bike for multiple use, hunting being one of them. I've got three wheel/tire sets for my ebike depending on how I'm using it. The standard 4" knobbies that came with my SE F@E work great for the general hunting setup.

I hunt alone and as I get older, it's become critical that I figure out a way to get any large game I'm able to harvest back to my vehicle. I've used a game cart for years, but wanted a little more assistance when possible. While an ATV or UTV work for many, I don't own the land I hunt and buying one of these devices just isn't in the cards. I decided to try and come up with a way to attach a game cart to my fat ebike. I choose a four wheeled cart by Hawk called the Crawler hoping it would minimize any balancing issues of two wheeled carts. I then had to figure out a way to easily attach it to my ebike. I have a Burley Travoy trailer that I use for grocery/shopping and like the quick connect set up. I purchased a Burley towbar assembly and Travoy Rack Mount. With a little cobbling, I got it to work.

Here is a image of my setup.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171203_135426.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	52109

I was lucky and harvested a deer last weekend and this setup was amazing. While I had my doubts, I was able to haul the deer out of a muddy picked cornfield and never got stuck or had issues other than a real mess to clean up at home. At times, the rear tire was sinking to the derailleur, but the BBSHD was able to power me forward. No easy feat considering I'm no lightweight as close to 300lbs. Add the bike, the trailer and the deer the total weight had to be over 500lbs.

The BBSHD and my ebike setup has been lots of fun and with this new configuration, a real work horse!
    Last edited by mtm408; 01-23-2018, 05:54 AM.

Nice..have you got a close up shot of how you connected to the rack?

Comment

• mtm408
      mtm408 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, but I’ll take a picture of it tonight

Paxtana, I zoomed in on the original image to give you an idea of how I cobbled this together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.20.40 PM.png
Views:	3746
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	52214

As stated in the original post. I purchased both a Burley tow bar assembly and a Burley Travoy rack mount. The aluminum bar is the tow bar cut down and the Flex connector inserted at the end. The Burley Flex Connector looks like this.

Name:	950038.jpg
Views:	2145
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	52215

This connects to the Burley Travoy Rack Mount which looks like this.

Name:	Travoy-Rack-FOCUSED.jpg
Views:	2191
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	52216

My rack is a Topeak Uni-Super Tourist Fat with channels for a Topeak MTX system bag. I didn't want to crush the channels so I took an old MTX bag and removed the plastic channel insert. I then mounted the Burley Rack Mount to the channel insert for support.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that rack. It is a nice heavy duty rack. The only improvement I would make is increasing the size of the rear dropout mounting screw. I would increase the 5 X .80 mm to a 6.0 X 1.00mm bolt.

Nice hunting rig. What brand triangle bag is that? It looks wider than most and I need one that is at least 3" wide. Thanks.
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

• mtm408
      mtm408 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a Blackburn Outpost bag in medium. While it has an expandable bottom to make a triangle, I don't know how it would work for a very heavy battery. I can fit a Luna Mini-Cube in it easily and could probably fit two, just haven't tried.

What size battery are you trying to fit? I've got a similar frame bag that I'm not using that is 4" wide. It's a GFT Medium frame bag. http://www.globalfastrack.in/gft-hal...bag-medium.htm

• Rider
      Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      This under top tube frame battery bag is for my Niner Jet 9 full suspension eMTB. I have about 18"-19" length and 5" height to work with on my XL frame. The motor is a 36V and I haven't found the exact battery I will be using yet. One I have my eye on is a 36V 14.5Ah 522Wh L-Ion pack that is advertised as 6lbs. and measures 9.5" X 3.2" X 3.0". That seems very compact for a 14.5Ah battery, but that's what they claim. I'm waiting on 18650 cell brand used and voltage/amp/controller specifications. The first email didn't yield much. I'm beginning to think they are just selling something they imported from China and know nothing about...

Anyway, thank you for posting the GFT bag. Their medium would fit length wise and has a huge storage capacity, but is very expensive and I think the height at 5.5" would interfere with my water bottle. The Blackburn Outpost Small will work if the width can squeeze in 3". Like the GFT medium, the Blackburn medium is a bit too high at 5.5".

I'm now considering the Topeak Midloader 4.5L at 18.1" long X 4.7" high, but can't seem to find any width measurements for it (?). This one is reasonable in price and good looking. My water bottle cage should still be useable and the top straps look to be wide and strong.
      Last edited by Rider; 12-08-2017, 09:56 AM.

• mtm408
      mtm408 commented
      Editing a comment
      Width on the Topeak Midloader is 2.4"

Thanks Rider, here is a better look at the bag on the frame. Ignore the rifle...

Comment

• Rider
      Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      Blackburn! Thank you. That rife blends right in with the bike and is hard to spot. Had to stare at the photo for a while to find "Waldo." Lol...
      Last edited by Rider; 12-07-2017, 12:59 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for your help with selecting a under top tube bag. I ended up with the Topeak Midloader 4.5L for my Niner Jet 9 project. Fits the frame well with very secure strap points. I can still use the water bottle cage on the down tube, but will probably switch to a side loader cage. The 2.4" width appears it will easily take a 3" thick battery by expanding out about a 1/4" on each side. Very happy with it so far.

Now back the Hunting Machine!
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• mtm408
      mtm408 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, glad you found something that will work.

I had a blast on my ebike last deer season.

Name:	2017 hunting.jpg
Views:	2309
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	53206

Comment

I was coming the dirt road I live on on the way back from a ride to my mailbox, when I felt something in the handle bars, that caused me to look up and there was about 40 head of deer just coming out of the brush and crossing the road about 50' in front of me. Deer are common here, but I have never seen such a large grouping, they made the earth shake!

Comment

• mtm408
        mtm408 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, the earth shaking would be strange indeed. I've seen large groups of 30 plus but you're right, it's a rarity, but neat to see!

A childhood friend (now a retired fireman) stopped by today while I was wrenching on my bikes. He has a place in Maine on a lake that he spends time at during the summers and says there are a bunch of guys there that have electric bike hunting rigs with trailers. They like them because they are so quiet you can sneak up game much easier than a loud quad or UTV. I told him about your rig and pulled up a picture. He was blow away. After telling him about my rides and seeing yours, he wants one now!
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• mtm408
        mtm408 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like we created another convert!!!

Originally posted by mtm408 View Post
      I know there are a few people on the forum that hunt and have built bikes for that purpose. I built my fat bike for multiple use, hunting being one of them. I've got three wheel/tire sets for my ebike depending on how I'm using it. The standard 4" knobbies that came with my SE F@E work great for the general hunting setup.

I hunt alone and as I get older, it's become critical that I figure out a way to get any large game I'm able to harvest back to my vehicle. I've used a game cart for years, but wanted a little more assistance when possible. While an ATV or UTV work for many, I don't own the land I hunt and buying one of these devices just isn't in the cards. I decided to try and come up with a way to attach a game cart to my fat ebike. I choose a four wheeled cart by Hawk called the Crawler hoping it would minimize any balancing issues of two wheeled carts. I then had to figure out a way to easily attach it to my ebike. I have a Burley Travoy trailer that I use for grocery/shopping and like the quick connect set up. I purchased a Burley towbar assembly and Travoy Rack Mount. With a little cobbling, I got it to work.

Click image for larger version Name:	20171203_135426.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	52109

I was lucky and harvested a deer last weekend and this setup was amazing. While I had my doubts, I was able to haul the deer out of a muddy picked cornfield and never got stuck or had issues other than a real mess to clean up at home. At times, the rear tire was sinking to the derailleur, but the BBSHD was able to power me forward. No easy feat considering I'm no lightweight as close to 300lbs. Add the bike, the trailer and the deer the total weight had to be over 500lbs.

The BBSHD and my ebike setup has been lots of fun and with this new configuration, a real work horse!
      It looks cool! I am also going to make a similar installation for the next season. Does any of deer carts https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-deer-cart/ fit for this purpose?
      Check out our list of the BEST 10 DEER CARTS! Carry your trophy (

Comment

• mtm408
        mtm408 commented
        Editing a comment
        You can use whatever cart you think you can make work. I've got a traditional two wheeled game cart, but had an issue keeping the cart balanced with a load. LIke on any vehicle, you want the weight forward on the trailer so it's not fighting you. A lower connection point to the bike would help with this. I've seen some folks make a custom trailer hitch sits behind the rear wheel.

• Geoz
        Geoz commented
        Editing a comment
        Tbh most of those game carts are more than adequate, personally went for the Summit deer cart after checking out some review on https://catchthemeasy.com/best-deer-cart-reviews/

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version Name:	20171203_135426.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	52109

It's cool soon I will make such step. I also write a blog about 7 Essential Benefits of Electric Hunting Bikes plz check it

Comment

This year will be the third hunting season with this rig. I've made some slight adjustments over the years, like going to larger brake rotors and changing the display to a smaller 500c. Going to 203mm rotors really increase the stopping power but also meant having to remove my kickstand. I've also added a Thudbuster to help absorb some rough terrain. While it's an expensive add-on, it great and wish I had added it years ago! I'll try and get a few new pics this year.

Comment

What kind of bike is that and how powerful of a motor? Looking at building a rig similar to this but my property has some slopes I am having a hard time deciding on what motor/bike to purchase.

Comment

The bike is an SE F@e. The motor is a Bafang BBSHD mid-drive I purchased from Lunacycle. It goes replaces the pedals and goes through the bottom bracket of the bike. With a 52v battery, it's a 1000w motor. In low gear, I haven't found hill that I couldn't climb and I've gone up some fairly steep hills.

Comment

This year will be the third hunting season with this rig. I've made some slight adjustments over the years, like going to larger brake rotors and changing the display to a smaller 500c. Going to 203mm rotors really increase the stopping power but also meant having to remove my kickstand. I've also added a Thudbuster to help absorb some rough terrain. While it's an expensive add-on, it great and wish I had added it years ago! I'll try and get a few new pics this year.
              Which Thudbuster did you choose? The ST or LT? Really great setup!

Comment

Working...
              X