What do you use your eBike for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use your eBike for?

Hello from Arizona! New to the forum here, recently finished my first ebike build with BBSHD kit that I got from LunaCycle. There were definitely some swearing involved during the installation process, but I couldn't be more happy with the results. Biking has always been fun, but after adding an 1000W electric motor, it just went to another level.

Originally, I was just planning to ride around for fun on the weekends, but being able to pedal consistently at 20+ MPH is making me wonder what other things I should consider doing on my bike instead of my car. I am curious to know what you guys on this forum primarily use your ebike. What has that experience been like? Were there tradeoffs you had to make? Did you have to add additional modifications and/or accessories?

Thanks for sharing!

Curious ebike newbie

Not sure where you are in AZ - I'm over in chandler and my house is right up against the western canal that connects to many, many miles of canal and SRP powerline paths. I go out to bulldog canyon north of mesa to get a quick off-road fix and take the bike out camping in the mountains and the desert...

Comment

My ebike is an automobile replacement vehicle. I use it to get to work and back.

Comment

I also use my bike as my primary source of transportation...

Comment

Work commuting, groceries, doctor visits, etc.

Comment

My primary vehicle is my ebike, but also own a Volvo v70 and Ducati bike.
            The ebike is the commuter (6 mil r/t) and grocery-getter around my hilly town.

BBSHD, MightyMini 52v cube, dpc18, Lekkie 42t, 9 spd 11-32 XTR, Schwalbe big bens

Comment

Exercise! I ride a couple hours each day, practically, am in better shape, and enjoy it. Injuries and bad joints ruined regular biking for me and this brought biking back for me. Electric or not, I'm beat after breaking and grooming a couple miles of single track in the snow @ about 10F last night, for example. I still get sore and winded, plenty, but that now happens miles from home instead of at the end of my block.

Even though you have a motor, you can achieve the health benefit, too. Despite all the pollution and cost avoidance, really, this is my best usage scenario, and worth the cost, by itself.

Riding in severe weather, on purpose, is one new avenue I found with my ebike. Having e-assist means you can wear ridiculous amounts of clothing when biking. Being in AZ, severe cold isn't an issue, but rain can be. You can dress up in enough rain gear to survive a monsoon, so much you would overheat on a regular bike. But you can stay comfortable. I suit up and ride blizzard and thunderstorems, on purpose, enjoying my imperviousness and not sweating the extra work.

Are you near AZBiker? PHX area? South Mountain has a park on top, if I recall correctly, right? Nobody wants to ride up that! But the view from the top is fabulous to watch storms approach, meteor showers, or just to watch the city and count the gunshots you hear every night (this surprised me, you can hear them from all over the valley). If I lived there, I'd have a nice binocular or telescope on my bike and make practically nightly trips up that mountain. Perfect ebike-access example, IMO.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

South mountain is a good street hill for a mid-drive. I avoid street riding however.

There are a lot of dirt trails around the mountain and there are ways up but they are very rough and steep in places and even the regular hard-core MTB guys end up carrying their machines in plenty of places. I'll ride around the base and up some of the trails but it can get technical quickly so haven't been able to get up to the top via dirt. I have pretty easy access without much street so it would be nice to find a way but I'm not terribly optimistic after a few runs out there.

A fun off-road place that's in the valley is bulldog canyon. I drive the bike over there from time to time - about half an hour from here in chandler. It requires a [free] permit but all you have to do is send them an email and they usually send the permit within a few hours and guarantee 48hours. Not to digress but when they "closed" the area about twenty years ago it was *trashed*. Litter everywhere, late night parties, shooting and the detritus. It's so close to town it was just getting overrun and the forest service closed it. The local 4x4 guys worked with the management and they came up with the permit (you used to have to go to the forest service office, it's so much easier now), helped them clean things up and help maintain it. It's funny how the tiniest speed bump of having to get a free permit by email keeps 99+% of the idiots out of there.

There's just a few "major" dirt roads that are open to "motorized travel" and the rest is closed for that but there are plenty of side trails that are a bit challenging in spots but fun and doable. Technically because it's forest service land the e-bikes are classified as "motorized" vehicles but I really doubt there's an issue particularly when AZ is so relaxed about them. I've been out there and the non-motorized users have been nothing but completely warm and welcoming to me when I'm out there if sometimes a bit curious. With today's users being so much more responsible I think you have to be acting pretty irresponsibly before you're ever going to even have the conversation with the managers...

Comment

I ride my electric bike everywhere but mostly I ride it on the new Parley's biking/walking trail that has just been built. It's an amazing trail that goes all the way into Parley's Canyon. I have two different ebikes. I have a city commuter bike that I like to use around town. I also have an electric fat bike that I use when it's snowing or when I want to hit the dirt roads. The fat bike has a 750 watt bafang motor, torque sensor and hydraulic disc brakes...and it can really power through the snow! It's a blast to ride!
                  I love dogs and ebikes...in that order!
                  http://www.poweronbikes.com

Comment

Working...
                  X