Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    I totally agree with you about Presta valves. Yes loathe is a good wording this case.

• CPG
    replied
    I've been tubeless on my fatbike for a couple years now, Mulefut rims. I've used Stans, and some other stuff my LBS had on hand, kind of a mix by now, as when i run out i grab whatever is handy. While I was at it, I drilled out the rims and now for the first time, have (to me) good old Schrader valves in all three of my bikes. I absolutely loathe Presta valves, don't try and talk me out of it, a Schrader has never left me down, and I hated screwing around with the adapters. After both my LBS shops did tubeless for me, that leaked like a sieve, I did it myself and have had great luck, I add air maybe once a month or less. Sun Ringle rim tape I think is what I used on the Mulefut.

1 flat so far, from a sharp rock that left a big gash in my sidewall. I still have the tire, and plan to put a patch on the inside and put it back in service, meanwhile I am riding on the new tire I had on hand. I run the fattie mostly somewhere around 5 to 8 pounds pressure, I go by feel and only occasionally check with the gauge. It really sucks on pavement at those pressures, lot's of self steering and general squirrileness, but that's not an issue for where I ride it.

Leave a comment:

• Hard Tail
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks AZguy. You were obviously on the right track with Slim, but I’ll give Stan’s. run nnext too.

• JPLabs
    replied
    I don't get weeping, and my leaks have sealed. For me, the one big downside is plugged valve stems. I have to carry a stem wrench and a pipe cleaner and/or poker rod, or I may not be able to drop pressure when I want to.

Mu Mulefut wheels are designed for tubeless and have a nice tight lip seal...with Stans tape on rims.

My current Origin 8 tires are not tubeless rated. But the beads seal fine. They did weep through the sidewalls at first.

Old Stan's forms a thin, white glue-like layer inside the tire, for reference.

I do NOT clean this film off the inside of the tires when I swap for summer/winter rotation, I just spray with a hose, then hang them up until next use so they don't glue themselves together. I can peel them apart if they touch and stick. For reuse if folding, yes, you'd need to clean them well inside, but it's not needed for tire reuse.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 10-17-2019, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I used slime before discovering stand and at least out here in the land of pointy stuff, the stans has prove way better... Like mentioned in 8000mi aside from a monthly air topoff due to air diffusion through rubber, only had to add a little air on the road two or three times after me being stupid and pulling the thorns out that were near the side of the tire. It's sort of hard to ignore a big thorn hanging out of the tire... like an itch that just wants to be scratched... but now I just ignore them and they break off or whatever without and leakage...

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    You have to remove the core for presta or shrader so either way you need removable cores

I use presta tubes on one bike (schrader on the other) - I buy from the LBS and they have threads that the stans syringe screws onto so just as easy as shrader - super easy with the proper tubes. I did it once with presta tubes that had the removable cores but not the external threads and that was a little more effort since I had to hold the syringe on the stem with a paper towel to catch any spillage.

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    If it got you home I would call it a win.

• Hard Tail
    replied
    Been reading this thread with interest. I actually took AZguys advice over a year ago ( from another thread about puncture protection) purchased those special presta tubes with removable valves and installed Green Slime. I thought that was AZguys recommendation at the timeout perhaps he said Stan’s. I’ve been commuting 50 klm a day since and running Hookworm slick tyres and ride over more than my share of broken glass. So far so good. No flats with the tube/ slime combo since, when previously had about 1 flat every three months. Also running the slim in tubeless mountain bike with similar results. Only slight issue is the valves gumming up.
    My two bobs worth. Thanks for the ideas

Leave a comment:

• zmarkjam
    commented on 's reply
    Still pretty easy. Just use a syringe with a #18 (large) needle. Partially pump up tire, insert needle through center of tread and tube, push in the Stans, remove the needle, spin the wheel. Pump up the tire to proper psi, spin it again. Puncture seals instantly and permanently.

• paxtana
    replied
    Do you have to remove the core to put Stans into Presta tubes? How hard is it?

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    It's a funny thing... if you get a puncture that's not near the middle it may take time to get enough of the sealant over the hole

OTOH this has only been a [minor] issue if I'm silly enough to remove the thing that made the puncture and replacing some air is all that's needed - no tire removal, patching or other nonsense I've had decades of experience with prior to my "conversion"..

I'm at about 8000mi with stans in AZ desert... I ride with aplomb through thorns and am a very good test case... I've only had to replace air (maybe twice?) when I pull the thing out and as long as enough sealant gets sloshed around I'm good... I do use a lot more than 3oz - more like 8-16 per tire

My [4.7x26] bulldozers are shot... time to put the new minions on... There are so many thorns in the tires I know better than to even think about putting a hand on the inside surface of the tire.... foolishly did that with the last set. I seriously doubt a thousand thorns is hyperbole..

You may have a pinch - different animal

Leave a comment:

• Talon
    replied
    I got Stan's in a newer 10x6x4 tubeless scooter tire and got a puncher in the tire over a month ago. The tire got 3 ounces in the tire that was brand new 2 months ago. The tire still goes down and I need to check the tire pressure every 3 days. I keep the tire at 30 PSI. You can see the Stan's slowly bubbling out where the tire was punched. It never totally seals the tire unfortunately. I am about 80% happy with Stan's

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by AZguy View Post
    It works excellent with tubes - as long as the valve core can be removed (I didn't realize some [presta] tube valves couldn't). I ride in severe thorn and pointy object territory and once I loaded the tubes with the stuff, no air loss beyond what's sort of normal. I don't go higher than 15psi in 4.7" tires...
    UPDATE! After using Stans for about a year in two different tires I have decided to go AZguy route of putting the Stans into a tube. There are two problems with tubeless. The first is the mess involved in changing a tire for any reason. I spent about two hours trying to clean the Stans from the inside of a good tire. The second is it leaks a little all the time. My bike gets dusty from riding and I can see trails from the bead area running outward. I don't have to air up very often but that is probably due to the air volume in a fat tire.

So next time I build a wheel and fit a tire Stans is going "inside" the tube for a no mess installation.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I've been a convert to just going stans in tubes (soooo easy) for a few sets of tires now.

I had the bike on the stand for it's weekly today and noticed a few large thorns sticking out - it's really bad right now out here. I was pulling them out and looking for more and the tires are completely filled with them. All sizes from monstrous 3-4mm dia to little thin syringe needles. No less than several per square inch in the tread area. Pressure loss in each tire was the same in both and the same I always see after a few weeks.

The tires are only a couple months old but it's truly amazing how well this stuff works for sealing. There's no way I wouldn't have had a ton of hassles at this point and instead.... nada! =]

Maybe someday I'll try tubeless or the ghetto version but the only time I run really low pressure is if I'm in really soft sand all day and I don't care about the tube weight. Running at ~10psi gives me reasonable handling in sand for just short runs - for longer I go down to 5 or so...
    Last edited by AZguy; 04-02-2018, 06:56 PM.

• calfee20
    replied
    Well I finally used Stan's on the rear wheel of my DD Electra Fat bike. I used the ghetto installation method and followed Karl's instructions over at electric bike blog. http://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06...nutes-of-work/

It was very interesting how the sill insulation lifted the tube into contact with the tire beads so that dry inflation was a snap. The beads snapped into place with everything dry then the core was removed and sealant injected. I will report back with more info in a couple of months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X