X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano Alfine 8 Speed

Anyone running a Shimano Alfine 8 Speed model number SG-S501 with a BBSHD

Interested to see how it's going

My Rides: DRZ400e setup for ADV, I love it, An old Hardtail MTB with a BBSHD

Originally posted by Felix D'Kat View Post
    Anyone running a Shimano Alfine 8 Speed model number SG-S501 with a BBSHD

Interested to see how it's going

I just laced up an Alfine 8 SG 70001 for my Paratrooper but I haven't tested it yet. It is about 5 degrees here and it is to cold to even go in the barn. I have been waiting a couple of weeks for the temp to maybe get to 32 so I can get back to work.

Comment

Hi Calfee, I'm very interested to see that when it's done and get your take on it's performance, so your fitting the 11 spd, I keep thinking about the Sturmy Archer 3 spd as well, you don't need any special tools to service those, the Alfines use 8 different tools!! not that you will be needing to service that much I suspect

BTW, there is a heat wave here ATM, going to be 45 Celsius here tomorrow...

Cheers...

Comment

Hi Calfee, I'm very interested to see that when it's done and get your take on it's performance, so your fitting the 11 spd, I keep thinking about the Sturmy Archer 3 spd as well, you don't need any special tools to service those, the Alfines use 8 different tools!! not that you will be needing to service that much I suspect

BTW, there is a heat wave here ATM, going to be 45 Celsius here tomorrow...

Cheers...
        This Alfine is an 8 speed. I also have a S-A hybrid 3 X 8 or 24 speeds that I have about 3500 miles on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2016_08_08_10_44_07_ProShot.jpg Views:	2 Size:	378.4 KB ID:	13846

This is a picture of the S-A without the cassette. This has been a very good rear wheel for me. I am trying the Alfine because I want to get rid of the derailleur completely.

Comment

My BBSHD commuter bike came with a Nexus 8 and I have a backup Alfine 8 wheelset for it. Both hubs have held up great so far. I avoid full power shifts, and have a gearshift sensor. Also, the bike overall gearing is optimized for the 1:1 fifth gear.

There are several variations of the Shimano 8-speed hub.

Comment

I'd really like to see an affordable wide range IGH for 190mm x 15mm thru axle....

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              I read someplace that more money was being spent on ebike than anywhere else in the industry. The way things are going you will get that eventually.

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
            I'd really like to see an affordable wide range IGH for 190mm x 15mm thru axle....
            Agreed. What do you think would be a good spread?

I use about a 380% spread on my 1x10. And I swap from 44 to 30T front sometimes, but I don't really need to. I'd consider 380% ample to cover everything from slow singletrack to 25 mph road commuting, all within useful cadence.

So, to really excite me, I'd like similar range, but fewer speeds could be OK. Not jut three! But 5 or more might be workable? I'm one of the few who doesn't think 10 is too much for a BBSHD, with such a large range span. It keeps the steps small enough to feel OK. I can keep up pedaling with that range, without dropping cadence unnaturally low during shifts. I've tried double shifting to simulate a 5-speed, and I don't like it, personally. Steps too big for consistent pedaling comfort.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              This is from spinningmagnets article on IGHs.

526%__Rohloff-14
              380%__N380
              360%__N360
              350%__N171
              307%__Nexus-8 and Alfine-8
              243%__Sturmey RX-RK5
              225%__SRAM-P5 cargo
              186%__Nexus-3
              177%__Sturmey Archer-3

• JPLabs
              JPLabs commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice reference, thanks. I believe Rohloff is the only one of those with the 190mm version for the thru axle. Maybe some year. 2k or more for a built fat wheel I think.

But, I'd probably drop a grand for a built wheel pretty fast, with an IGH as we are discussing. I haven't been able to justify Rohloff money, yet. Would love one.

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post

Agreed. What do you think would be a good spread?

I use about a 380% spread on my 1x10. And I swap from 44 to 30T front sometimes, but I don't really need to. I'd consider 380% ample to cover everything from slow singletrack to 25 mph road commuting, all within useful cadence.

So, to really excite me, I'd like similar range, but fewer speeds could be OK. Not jut three! But 5 or more might be workable? I'm one of the few who doesn't think 10 is too much for a BBSHD, with such a large range span. It keeps the steps small enough to feel OK. I can keep up pedaling with that range, without dropping cadence unnaturally low during shifts. I've tried double shifting to simulate a 5-speed, and I don't like it, personally. Steps too big for consistent pedaling comfort.
            I presently have 11/46t 11speed giving 418% with a 39t up front very close to splitting the difference with the two you run. It is great and I use the entire range. 25mph is about as fast as my one-leg pedaling can keep up with and 1st is great all the way down to about 2.5mph for single-track and crowds (I have to cut through the middle of the town of Gilbert on many rides where they hold many events and really like being able to ride in the crowds at walking speed) so about 10:1 highly usable speed range. When I first built the bike it had 11/42t (same ~380% as yours) and found it adequate. I prefer the 418% I have now over it, I use very gear, every ride but if I could only get 380% I'd be OK but would prefer >400%.

I don't need 11speeds it's just that to get the >400% range it was the best option. 11speed is almost a continuously variable transmission! =] It doesn't bother me to have 11 except the chains are a bit more of a pain and perhaps they don't last as long - the cassettes are on the pricier side of the "standard stuff" (~$75). With 400% I'd guess eight to be optimal - you might be able to get away with five but I can't see less...

I think rohloff has something now for 190mm so hopefully we'll see shimano follow - no way I can afford that rohloff luxury. I think an Alfine 11 would be fine and would likely build a wheel around it...

Comment

• JPLabs
              JPLabs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for sharing your impressions of ratio range, and your input about number of steps, helpful insight.

I'm definitely interested in transitioning to an IGH. I don't know what one would be best for single track tho. Not like jumps or anything crazy, but the usual roots and rocks. I'll be following along with you guys and your builds.

Comment

I've been doing some research on IGH's and will be going with the Sturmy Archer X-RK8, 8Speed, I have to import it from the UK, no one sells them in Australia.

I'm choosing the S/A because they are cheaper than the Alfine and you don't need any special tools to repair them, the Alfine needs 8 separate special tools to dismantle them, the S/A needs wrench and circlip pliers and all the spare parts are readily available, you need the wrench to replace the sprockets anyway, so not a problem anyway.

Comment

I've been doing some research on IGH's and will be going with the Sturmy Archer X-RK8, 8Speed, I have to import it from the UK, no one sells them in Australia.

I'm choosing the S/A because they are cheaper than the Alfine and you don't need any special tools to repair them, the Alfine needs 8 separate special tools to dismantle them, the S/A needs wrench and circlip pliers and all the spare parts are readily available, you need the wrench to replace the sprockets anyway, so not a problem anyway.
                Are you sure about the special tools?

This is a HTR145, $33.00 on amazon but it is the wrong one you would need a HTR143. I couldn't find one of those anywhere.

Before you buy go to Sheldon Brown's online calculator and figure out your gearing. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html This hub is slightly different than other hubs. It doesn't have a central direct gear and then go up and down from there. It starts at low and just increases from there.

I ran the calculations through my bike and I would need a very small front sprocket or a large rear sprocket. It would be ok for the street but for single track it may be geared to high. Then see if you can get spares. There isn't much in the USA but you might be better off down under because most parts are available in Great Britain.

Comment

Thanks Calfee

I see what you mean, the ratio's come out huge with the std chain ring, I may go for the S/A 5 speed then, similar ratios as the Alfine but only 5 gears, anyway seems the S/A 8spd won't work

See what happens, I'll kep an eye on our build though in the meantime.

Comment

I don't want to be a wet blanket but I have been down this rabbit hole. A lot of the same issues exist with the 5spd.

The trigger shifter is shown on the S-A site but it was finally announced that it would not be available until this winter "northern hemisphere". Sprockets hard to get in the USA. I have a 5spd that slipped in 4th and 5th. I tried contacting S-A many times and when they finally got back to me it was to say "We have never had a problem with that hub", and they didn't even offer any options to fix it even at my expense.

Another member, lance tesla has one that he was using on single track. His chain derailed and tore apart his shifting mechanism. On the good side I think we have three other members who at using the 5 spd hub with success.

Just do your research better than me. I found out about the sprocket and shifter problems after I had the hub.

Comment

Thanks mate, I don't consider useful advise or criticism to be a wet blanket, in fact just the opposite

I'll look around and see what other users have come up against

Looks like it may be the alfine after all

It's very confusing though as there seems to be several different versions around

SGS 7001
                      SGS 501
                      SGS 7000
                      then there is the di version

Just going to have to slog through them I guess and see

I can see why some just stick to Derailleurs

anyway I have time till I wear out the one on the bike ATM

cheers

Comment

From what I can gather the 7001 is a little stronger and will shift under load better. Here is an advertising spiff from a bike parts supplier.

Premium quality, style, adaptability and easy handling are the features of the Alfine gear hub.
                        Maximum efficiency of the Shimano hub gear combined with a double roller clutch allows for fast and soft shifting with a gear ratio of 307%. A Top Normal shifting system facilitates a gear change to higher gears and thus allows for a sportier ride.
                        · optimised shifting under load or uphill
                        · 8-speed Rapidfire Plus shift lever (SL-S7000-8)
                        · sprocket: 20 teeth
                        · hub width: 135 mm
                        · chainline: 41,8 /46,8 mm
                        · Center Lock brake disc mount
                        · weight: approx. 1.680 g
                        · lock washers for vertical dropouts (blue/green)
                        · incl. mounting kit, installation instructions, cable and casing
                        · available in 32 or 36 hole

Comment

Working...
                        X