No announcement yet.

Shimano Alfine 8 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add to the confusion, there's also a red band Nexus 8 that's supposed to have the Alfine 5-series needle-bearing pinions ... really Shimano?

I went for the 5-series Alfine for several reasons. The first is that the cable pull is gears 1->8, so if the cable or shifter fails, you end up in 1st gear. It's also directly compatible with the Nexus 8 I already had, so I can swap wheels without much fuss. I also find removing the shift cable is easy as the cable wraps the bottom of the hub cable guide (this is more likely something one just get used to).

As far a strength, I'm speculating that the Alfine 7-series as loosely based off of the Alfine 11 speed (look at the hub externals and again the cable routing), and may be benefit from some of the 11 speed design aspects, although it does not have the sealing or oil bath the 11 speed does.

I haven't yet, but am planning on going to ATF lubrication on my current hubs (8 speeds - Alfine 5-series and Nexus).

What would I really like? A Rohloff-level quality 7-8 speed oil bath hub with a nice-n-wide chain line that matches up to the BBSHD well so belt drive is again a possibility (although I wouldn't myself), and with a real strong 1:1 gear, for $300-500 or so.
    Last edited by ncmired; 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Well I got 5 miles or so on my Alfine 8. It is real smooth and Quiet. The trigger shifter is a joy to use. My flatland style riding will probably only see me using about 5 of the 8 speeds. Third through seventh seems to be what I will use. First and second are to low for flat starts on tar and 8th will be for flat out on slight down grades or maybe when I have a tailwind.

Ah Yes you can't beat being able to shift when you are stopped. It's just perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
        Well I got 5 miles or so on my Alfine 8. It is real smooth and Quiet. The trigger shifter is a joy to use. My flatland style riding will probably only see me using about 5 of the 8 speeds. Third through seventh seems to be what I will use. First and second are to low for flat starts on tar and 8th will be for flat out on slight down grades or maybe when I have a tailwind.

Ah Yes you can't beat being able to shift when you are stopped. It's just perfect.
        I have the Alfine 8 on my BBS 02 750w MTB.
        What cog are you using on it? I started out with a 20t, then a 18T and now down to a 16T for a little more top end, the motor has enough torque to handle any hills round here.

I find myself double shifting to save time going down through the gears, in fact 4 or 5 gears would be enough!

Bought the complete 26" wheel with Hub from Germany, cost was £220 GBP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000530.JPG
Views:	919
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	55521

Comment

calfee20

what discs are you running on your alfine 8spd

I was just about to order the 8 speed and other bits and remembered the disc, there's again way to many to choose from

one thing I can't figure out is how is the disc secured to the hub, I can't see any lock rings or anything ??

My Rides: DRZ400e setup for ADV, I love it, An old Hardtail MTB with a BBSHD

Comment

Originally posted by Felix D'Kat View Post
            calfee20

one thing I can't figure out is how is the disc secured to the hub, I can't see any lock rings or anything ??.
            goes onto splines and then the lock ring.

i have the standard 160mm discs, but should take anything up to 203mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix D'Kat View Post
              calfee20

what discs are you running on your alfine 8spd

I was just about to order the 8 speed and other bits and remembered the disc, there's again way to many to choose from

one thing I can't figure out is how is the disc secured to the hub, I can't see any lock rings or anything ??

SM-RT70S (160mm) SLX Centerlock Rotor is what I purchased for no other reason than to try something new. $28.00 at universal cycles.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=84023

Shimano Centerlock Disc Brake Rotors - SM-RT70S (160mm) SLX Centerlock Rotor

I could have bought something for $10.00 but I read a little bit of the Ice Tech propaganda and figured $18.00 wouldn't kill me.

This is only my second bike with disc brakes. There has been a lot of squealing and screeching going on with both bikes. I rode and let other people ride my Paratrooper last year with the factory rear wheel and did not try that rotor until the Alfine was installed which was the last few weeks. I only have about 30 miles on but it instantly felt different. There has been no noise and it just feels solid. There is no sponginess at the hand brake now. Why???? Did I suddenly do a better job at setup and adjustment? I don't know.

It was enough of a surprise to get me to instantly order a new rotor for the front.

Hmmm all of this shooting my mouth off has made me realize the new front rotor is NOT Ice Tech. Foolish me. Needless to say these rotor differences has caught my attention and I will experiment a little. Is it having a separate center section that is cutting down on the vibrations produced during braking or is it the metal sandwich in the Ice Tech that is making the difference?

Here is a sentence on Ice Tech.

"
              Ice Tech brake rotors (RT-98; RT-81; RT-67) feature an aluminum core clad with stainless steel braking surfaces. The innovative design sheds weight, dissipate heat and dramatically improves overall performance".

I will continue this when I get back from Florida and have put some miles on my bike.

Comment

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry I didn't answer your whole question. You are asking questions that are making me think. This is good!
                When I got the rotor I went into my tool drawer that had all of my splined tools to see if one would fit. One did and I didn't think much more about it. It seems it is the same tool that rear cassettes use.

Designed for the removal and installation of most cassette and disc brake lockrings with a 12-spline tool fitting, including Shimano®, SRAM®, and others.

Thanks for the advice on the discs and tool

There were 4 different options for locking down the centrelock ring, I found the FR 5.2 but didn't know if that was the right one

Thanks

My Rides: DRZ400e setup for ADV, I love it, An old Hardtail MTB with a BBSHD

Comment

Working...
              X