Bluetooth bms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth bms?

Well since I am retired and have time on my hands I am considering getting a eBay spot welder ( a fairly good one so everyone reports) and build my own triangle pack. Question is to go with Bluetooth bms or not. Seems like this is the way to go for individual parallel group cell monitoring?

Here's a BMS that will do what your asking
    http://www.tyva-energie.com/en/modul...thium-ion.html
    these are more expensive I'll pay $5 for a standard BMS

here is part 3 in YouTuber BuildYourDream's well made battery build video
    If you watch all 3 the you'll get the itch
    Last edited by Robert Larrison; 01-13-2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Dang. Now this looks pretty nice. Forget the Bluetooth. Just plug in the display when you want to monitor individual group voltage. Got to keep the connector dry lol.

Comment

I am going to hold off on getting the spot welder until I see what the soon to be coming new vruzend high power battery cap and bus bar kits finally spec out to. They say the prototype already is in double digits amps per cell/bus bar capable already. That blows away .15 pure nickle strip and no welding lol. Just increases the size of finished pack a bit and a bit heavier.
        Last edited by Scott S; 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

I agree with you
          you could build a spot welder or buy one but I have several spot welded battery packs
          3-24 volt packs that have about 30 months daily use they still charge but don't last long prolly one cell or a string

breaking those packs and dremmeling the ends is something I'm not looking forward to doing

ElectricBike did an excellent review of several 18650 kits
          I'm partial to Micah's company Vruzend he's a straight shooter and I see this as a better all around solution
          a trained tech can build this or a trained consumer and I see a higher value to the consumer

you the consumer can rebuild your pack much easier or the trained tech can rebuild it

If you take your worn out spotwelded pack to a technician they will look at the amount of time that out would take and they will talk you out of it
          they will say 'buy a new one'
          Last edited by Robert Larrison; 01-13-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
            I am going to hold off on getting the spot welder until I see what the soon to be coming new vruzend high power battery cap and bus bar kits finally spec out to. They say the prototype already is in double digits amps per cell/bus bar capable already. That blows away .15 pure nickle strip and no welding lol. Just increases the size of finished pack a bit and a bit heavier.
            The Vruzend http://vruzend.com/ products look amazing!

Update: Gr8Fun on this forum tried some of these and said they are nice, but time consuming to work with (at least the first time working with them) because you have to make sure everything is oriented perfectly in order for the whole battery to fit together.
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 01-14-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Go to endless-sphere.com Forget the Sunnko welders and eBay junk! Look for a JP Welder or a Kweld. Cheaper, repairable and support form a large community of users. Spinningmagnets has an offeror Kweld on the forum.

Comment

Ya I was not even considering a sunkko unless is was at least the 709AD or AD+ and even then I would order a 220 volt one. I have looked at the JP. However as I think the new vruzend version 2 high power kits are going to be able to handle the higher amps; all welders are off my list until the version 2 is finally available and I see how it specs. With the vruzend if you develop a bad cell it is way easier to repair the pack than a welded pack for sure!!
                Anyone here using a Bluetooth bms lol???
                Last edited by Scott S; 01-14-2018, 03:17 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

I've been playing with/learning about Arduino's for a bit
                  I'd like to make something like this

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

The Vruzend http://vruzend.com/ products look amazing!

Update: Gr8Fun on this forum tried some of these and said they are nice, but time consuming to work with (at least the first time working with them) because you have to make sure everything is oriented perfectly in order for the whole battery to fit together.
                    Ya I already worked my layout for using it in a custom triangle hard case. Was not to difficult at all for me. Now just waiting for the high power version 2. The standard version won't cut it amp wise per cell/ bus bar with the bbshd. The standard will not carry enough amps per cell/bus bar without getting hot and causing heat loss. The standard is good for only about 3 or so amps continuous per cell/bus bar. The version 2 is already testing double digits per cell/bus bar! Can't wait for it to be released lol

Comment

• commuter ebikes
                      commuter ebikes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ooh, sounds like I would need a version 2, as well.

V1 is fine for a standard 30A BBSHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoonie View Post
                      V1 is fine for a standard 30A BBSHD.
                      How did come about that conclusion? Even on vruzend forum it is stated as not ideal. I suppose if your run a huge battery with 10 cells in parallel you will be fine with the 3 amp or so safe zone on the springs in the caps and the bus bars. But a 5 cell parallel 17.5 amp battery is only gonna provide safe 15 amps continuous. Hills will heat up hose springs and bus bars on the v1 and the battery also. This is even stated on the vruzend forum. I would rather be safe than sorry and get the v2 kit. It is coming soon!!
                      Continued full throttle only will eat it up also!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post

How did come about that conclusion? Even on vruzend forum it is stated as not ideal. I suppose if your run a huge battery with 10 cells in parallel you will be fine with the 3 amp or so safe zone on the springs in the caps and the bus bars. But a 5 cell parallel 17.5 amp battery is only gonna provide safe 15 amps continuous. Hills will heat up hose springs and bus bars on the v1 and the battery also. This is even stated on the vruzend forum. I would rather be safe than sorry and get the v2 kit. It is coming soon!!
                        Continued full throttle only will eat it up also!
                        By running a V1 14S 5P GA pack on my BBSHD. Me thinks your math is flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoonie View Post

By running a V1 14S 5P GA pack on my BBSHD. Me thinks your math is flawed.
                          Not my math but Micah's. The designer and engineer of the vruzend. He openly admits that the spring contacts are not up to snuff. Don't take my word for it and maybe read the whole thread linked below. Being that a high power kit is coming why take the chance of losing energy because the system is getting to warm. According to Micah 5 amps max on the v1 spring contacts and they get to warm with that so on your 5p pack the max you should draw should be 25 Amps and I that is with heat energy loss.
                          Maybe read thru this whole thread. With the v2 coming I sure won't bother with the v1.

http://vruzend.com/community/main-ca...acity/paged/2/

Note. My link goes to page 2 of the thread. Make sure to go to page 1 lol
                          Last edited by Scott S; 01-16-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

For clarity, I believe Micah is still studying engineering, MS level now, and the Vruzend was designed and engineered by a USA educated East Indian, Urvakhsha Tavadia. A very well spoken and brilliant young fellow who I've been aquatinted with for more than a 1 1/2 years and Micah for 5 years, with many personal exchanges. In real world use the system works just fine with a BBSHD at 30A. Heat does not exceed GA specs. (see Micah's latest video) I believe Micah, unlike battery makers, is being cautious with specs. At least in frequent use those are my results. I won't argue that version 2 won't be a big improvement but I had a lot of fun experimenting and supporting their first effort. The V1 parts will be relegated to 12 and 24 low Amp projects.

All the best! It'll be interesting to talk about V2! And see how far we can go.

Comment

Working...
                            X