Phaserunner at 52V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phaserunner at 52V?

Hard to find a lot of information about the phaserunner. I would like some more occasional speed with my BBSHD. I have been holding back on an ERT set up, because I don't want to spend over a 1000 bucks on another battery, with new battery tech on the horizon. I have a 52V 18ah battery that is 60 amp continuous capable. While looking at the phase runner manual online, it occurred to me that I might be able to use the phaserunner with my 52V battery. Using field weakening, i could gain 15-30 % more volts?. So that is about 4-10 mph more speed?. You use more amps in this process and also heat is a consideration. So I lose some range. small price. i don't know where in that 15-30% heat will become an issue or even if it will. I know there some controller gurus that might be able to help me out here. is this realistic thinking? Anyone with experience in this area? Thanks

Luna has one based on the phaserunner. But why wait for the new tech when you can be having a blast in the here and now.
    Providers of quality ebikes, electric bike batteries, motors and components at affordable pricing.

Comment

That one is only 40 amp continous. I was wanting 50 amp continuous. Like the phase runner

Comment

Originally posted by New Mariner View Post
        That one is only 40 amp continous. I was wanting 50 amp continuous. Like the phase runner
        I bought one of those 50 amp phase runners from Grin. I have not used it yet. It is colder than I like to work or ride in. I feel there is no sense in suffering for your hobby.

It may end up plugged into a BBSHD but I like my BBSHD the way it is so I might leave it alone. Anyway it seems the nylon gear can take about 50 amps. Go over that and you melt the gear. Good article here.

http://electricbike-blog.com/2016/03...orrible-death/

Alan from ERT chose to over volt and Luna stayed with 52V. Either way 50 amps is about it. So if you keep you battery and use 52 volts it should be much like a Luna Ludicrous. As far as heat, you can over heat a stock BBSHD. You shouldn't do anything without installing a temp sensor. You may as well because you have to open the motor to wire up the phase runner...............calfee

Comment

I am curious about possible top end speed gains using the field weakening. You sacrifice torque in that process. I have a ludicrous and have it set at 60 amps. Staying in the right gears, the motor rarely sees 60 amps and then only for seconds. On hills, i watch my amp draw as well. It appears that with field weakening you can boost RPMs which means more top end speed. Not interested in 45-50mph, thus my interest in increasing the speed with a 52v battrry and not using a 72v set up. Information no where to be found.

Comment

• Albeegood
            Albeegood
            Albeegood commented
            Editing a comment
            I know this is a few years old but i hope to learn what you learn on field weakening. I to have the same problem as you. I have the bbshd and a hailong 52v 17ah battery with the latest phase runner and display kit from ebikes.ca i and just emailed Justin because i too from need info on it. If you did get the phase runner and learn on proper and safe settings can you please share with me at albertnieves19@gmail.com

I am curious about possible top end speed gains using the field weakening. You sacrifice torque in that process. I have a ludicrous and have it set at 60 amps. Staying in the right gears, the motor rarely sees 60 amps and then only for seconds. On hills, i watch my amp draw as well. It appears that with field weakening you can boost RPMs which means more top end speed. Not interested in 45-50mph, thus my interest in increasing the speed with a 52v battrry and not using a 72v set up. Information no where to be found.
          There is a lot of reading here. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...5031&start=100

Comment

Thanks for the link. I have read a good bit of that and other threads. I know it will work at 52V, and i guess torque would be slightly improved over the ludicrous. It is all about the top end speed that can be gained, and how much, before heat becomes an issue. Is it minimal, 4-5 mph? Or is it significant 8-10 mph? Or somewhere in between. What can be obtained if using a heat sink?. Most of the data to be found is higher voltage set ups.. If I could get 8-10 mph, I might not need to spend for a 72V battery. Also may spare my drive train by staying at 52V.

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20
              Giga Member
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey start out a step at a time. You have a BBSHD and a 52 volt battery. Next step? Some sort of controller.
              1 Luna Ludicrous $250?
              2 Phase runner $300
              3 12 fett sine wave controller High voltage and field weakening. https://westcoastelectrics.com/produ...roller-72v50a/
              $150

Number 1 you are limited to 52 volts but with 2 & 3 if you don't like how it goes at 52 volts you can always get the 72 volt battery in the end.

From what I have seem westcoast is more responsive than ERT.

Thanks Calfee20, the West Coast Electric sine wave is 40 amp continuous as well. Can't find information on programming the phaserunner with the BBSHD anywhere. People mention it on several different sites, but no one has posted any real info on how to do it. Think I will just keep riding the Ludicrous for a while longer until product information improves.

Comment

Thanks Calfee20, the West Coast Electric sine wave is 40 amp continuous as well. Can't find information on programming the phaserunner with the BBSHD anywhere. People mention it on several different sites, but no one has posted any real info on how to do it. Think I will just keep riding the Ludicrous for a while longer until product information improves.
              http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...unner#p1350732

Comment

I read that and that was me asking the question about 52v, 50 amp and field weakening. Lol. I really am trying to do the due diligence. I just don't think the info is out there yet. It confounds me. Searched youtube as well. Usually someone shares an A to B how they did it, somewhere. If it is out there i can't find it. Thanks again Calfee.

Comment

I encountered this post about a month ago when I myself was curious about the performance of a BAC800 with a BBSHD at 52v. Well, after having just installed Allen's ERT version of the controller, I can now confirm that the performance is phenomenal. The power and smoothness have substantially improved. And the top speed is much higher. I went from a top speed of 33.8mph to a top speed of 39.5 mph. By my calculations, that means the rpms at the engine are around 205, a definite improvement over the stock controller. I highly recommend it.

Comment

I got the 800 for my 52V BBSHD from Alan as well. It turns it into a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by nowholeself View Post
                      I encountered this post about a month ago when I myself was curious about the performance of a BAC800 with a BBSHD at 52v. Well, after having just installed Allen's ERT version of the controller, I can now confirm that the performance is phenomenal. The power and smoothness have substantially improved. And the top speed is much higher. I went from a top speed of 33.8mph to a top speed of 39.5 mph. By my calculations, that means the rpms at the engine are around 205, a definite improvement over the stock controller. I highly recommend it.
                      As a follow-up, I switched to a 40/16 gear ratio, and charged to 58.8v. My top speed is now 42mph! According to bikecalc, that puts the RPMs at the chainwheel over 230. That's drastically faster than the stock controller. I'll also note that I lose very little speed climbing hills. Granted, I'm skinny and my bike is super light. But still, these are really incredible numbers. I highly recommend this controller.

Comment

Originally posted by nowholeself View Post

As a follow-up, I switched to a 40/16 gear ratio, and charged to 58.8v. My top speed is now 42mph! According to bikecalc, that puts the RPMs at the chainwheel over 230. That's drastically faster than the stock controller. I'll also note that I lose very little speed climbing hills. Granted, I'm skinny and my bike is super light. But still, these are really incredible numbers. I highly recommend this controller.
                        Hi again, couple of questions. How/where can the controller be mounted? If I remember you've got it band clamped to the motor - does it have mounting studs/bolt holes/wire tie holes or anything? Is it waterproof - I'm guessing not.

Comment

The internals seem well protected against moisture. But you'd need to do some work to ensure that the wire harness connections are as well protected. There are two threaded holes on the front of the controller. It's an odd place for them. But they could certainly be used as a mount. I used a band clamp because I had one lying around and it enabled me to keep the controller on the bbshd itself, thereby keeping my cabling short (I hate wire messes). The unit is small enough and light enough to mount just about anywhere, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X