Stans no tubes with tubes and tube talc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stans no tubes with tubes and tube talc

I went to the LBS to pick up a tube and was chatting with one of the mechanics. He pointed out that when using stans in tubes the tubes have a lot of tube talc inside and that you need a lot more stans since a lot of it immediately balls up with the talc - especially with a fat tube (26" x 4.0-4.8").

I said why not rinse out the tube first?

I rinsed the tube insides with RO water. The first flush there was a ton of talc. I had put about a liter of water in the tube and it was a thick white slurry coming back out. After about three or four rinses most of the talc was out.

As always, YMMV...

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-w5vLsbm.gif
Views:	22
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	56184

Makes sense. Good tip!

Comment

I have not tried the Stan's in tubes yet because the green tire slime (in conjunction with 7 tire liners) has been working perfectly for me. Another additional benefit of the green slime is that it lasts longer in the tube (2 years as opposed to 6 months).

I wonder if talc interferes with green tire slime. It must not because I am not rinsing and the green slime is sealing holes from nails.

I think I might try rinsing out the talc and using less tire slime in order to save weight.

Comment

Working...
      X