Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-bike research University of Utah

Hey Everyone!

My name is Casey and I am a medical student at the University of Utah. I am working on a study involving Ebikes. If anyone is interested, here is the information. Thanks and enjoy the ride!!

Why Do You Own an Ebike?

Researchers at the University of Utah are interested in understanding the motivation behind Ebike use.

We are especially interested in how Ebikes can help persons with health problems to enjoy cycling.

The survey will take no longer than 10 minutes to complete and you must be 18 years of age or older.

To complete the survey, click on the link below. Thank you!

Survey Link: http://j.mp/2zWJafq
    Last edited by cafenger; 02-17-2018, 07:41 PM.

Originally posted by cafenger View Post

I am a medical student at the University of Utah. I am working on a study involving Ebikes.

Why Do You Own an Ebike?

Researchers at the University of Utah are interested in understanding the motivation behind Ebike use.

We are especially interested in how Ebikes can help persons with health problems to enjoy cycling.

You must be 18 years of age or older.
    I am 70 years old.
    1969 18 years old graduated High School.
    1970 Drafted into US Army. 5' 10" 165 pounds.
    2020 Registered for VA healthcare in case I ever need it or my private insurance runs out.
    First 2020 VA visit I weighed in at 164 pounds. 25 Feb 2020. Getting fat at 175 pounds.
    Obvious I was asked how I stayed so trim & thin all these years.
    Obvious answer. Dirt biking, mountain biking and working as an Electrical Constuction worker.
    Consider myself about 90% vegiterian. CDL license and 30 years of drug testing kept me straight.
    Now that I`ve retired I enjoy working the dirt bike trails around my home which connect to the mini-MX track I built for my boys years ago. Which is now perfect for my Luna EB-SRX-Light Bee.

As far as exercise in your survey. I spend as much time working on trail maintenance as riding.
    With climate change in the past 5-10 years I`m busy with all the trees falling over and insect infection.
    Within the past month I seen 3 50+ tall ash trees fallen over with less than 6 inches of root left to hold the trees upright. Many of the evergreens seem to be slowly going brown and falling apart.

Why do I own an E-bike.
    -The SRX-LB light bee is a 120 lb Electric dirt-bike which looks like an electric mountain-bike.
    No gas, no exhaust, no kick starting, no stalling and no noise.
    I also have a 1997 200 Suzuki dual-sport for trail riding and connecting trails and a 09 Yamaha YZ-250 which I don`t ride to often anymore because it beats me up too much when I ride hard.
    The Stock SRX-LB goes everywhere my gas bike can go and I can lift it up over any fallen tree.

Comment

I love this thread. It's spam all the way down!

Comment

• dirtman
        dirtman commented
        Editing a comment
        I first suspected Casey was posting from Trump University not the University of Utah

Originally posted by cafenger View Post
      Hey Everyone!
      E-bike research University of Utah
      02-17-2018, 07:36 PM 17th of Febuary 2018 (4 years 2 months ago)

My name is Casey and I am a medical student at the University of Utah.
      I am working on a study involving Ebikes.
      If anyone is interested, here is the information. Thank you!

Survey Link: http://j.mp/2zWJafq
      4 years 2 months ago this topic was first posted. (E-Bike research)

Or maybe no one was interested in promoting health via E-biking.
      Last edited by dirtman; 04-06-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simonov View Post
        I love this thread. It's spam all the way down!
        Yeah, it's a laugh. If I was to project into the future I'd say that e-bikes will only ever be a niche thing. I see an uptake by the fitness minded crowd, but they often become dust collectors, by dedicated cyclists like myself , and by the offroad biker set, but these are all small segments of society and everyone else is happy tooling around on the petrol platforms. It won't be as bad as the Segway as far as flops go but the dream of a future where millions of ebikes are tooling around our cities is just that, a dream.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Been to any big city in china lately? They are choked with cheap rear DD hub bikes... I expect that euro countries and others that already do a lot of bike commuting are adopting them quickly too but with a lot more regulation than china lol

When I first went out on the hundreds of miles of multi-use paths we have in the PHX metro area I maybe saw two or three the first year, then a dozen or so the next year, and today they are everywhere... not outnumbering the regular bikes... yet!

Originally posted by huffnpuff View Post

Yeah, it's a laugh. If I was to project into the future I'd say that e-bikes will only ever be a niche thing. I see an uptake by the fitness minded crowd, but they often become dust collectors, by dedicated cyclists like myself , and by the offroad biker set, but these are all small segments of society and everyone else is happy tooling around on the petrol platforms. It won't be as bad as the Segway as far as flops go but the dream of a future where millions of ebikes are tooling around our cities is just that, a dream.
        I certainly disagree with that. For many, many people ebikes have been life-altering. I for one am pretty sure they will become more and more popular moving forward.

Here in Reno, almost half the bikes I see on the street are ebikes.

Comment

Here in DC a few years ago ride-sharing cars and bikes at docking stations came on the scene.
          Later shared e-bikes, tiny wheel e-scooters and then Vespa-size e-scooters, all of which can parked or left anywhere.
          Now the cars have all but disappeared, most bike docking stations stand nearly empty.
          But the e-bikes and little e-scooters have flourished.

They're super cheap to rent compared to the cars. Less effort than the rather heavy unassisted rental bikes.
          No docking station so you can ride and leave it right at your destination, which can be a nuisance.
          No concern about maintenance or theft.
          Big vans roam the streets at night to collect, swap battery packs and repair.

Comment

Yup. Got super heavy people powered rental bikes and now Escooters. Escooters are getting used alot. I saw a ton of light ghosts on the side walks around the festival. But I never see the people bikes get rented. We got electric buss system since early 1900s. But not many people have eBikes even though we now have bike lanes. An ebike downtown was on Craigslist for a month before it sold for $300. So mine is a wishy washy town of poor people. Its looking like people still addicted to the buss service. Its too slow and I only used it when freed from jail. Half the jail birds were on the buss. I never would have figured it before I was a jail bird myself.

Comment

• dirtman
              dirtman commented
              Editing a comment
              STTS ""I was a jail bird myself""
              It`s not too late to edit/erase that.

• stts
              stts commented
              Editing a comment
              Hah, naw, I am proud of the life I lead. Including all my battle scares. Like in that song, my crime was littering. Hah. Flakey house paint in spots, driveway cracks sank, and the neighbors trash can blew over and rolled into my yard with trashy effect. I was in florida and didnt clean anything for at least a month. Never painted and never fixed the concrete. Didnt know the city was complaining. My house address has no mail service. All notices were return to sender. So they had a warrant on me for not showing up to court. It took them a year to nab me. A plate scanner got me on the road. Nobody ever came by my house that I saw. Spent all weekend in jail with a no bail warrant. Judge was ready to throw the book at me. But they were all morons and my public defender explained the error to them since all I could do was cuss at them like a sailer. It was all thrown out because it was all lame and I had already fixed the house issues while the court case progressed at snails pace. The feds swooped in and arrested city officials for a "culture of corruption". That might have helped too. Dumping harassment cases that were basically legal extortion. I learned alot about the crap inside jails. And Im a big supporter of jail reform now. Its not a public service to abuse prisoners and then turn them loose on the public.
          Working...
          X