Three phase and DC current

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three phase and DC current

I'm confused about these three phase electric bike motors they refer to them as having three phase lines does this mean they are utilizing a 3-phase current.
    If so how does this work everywhere I've looked online three phase systems are only used in AC applications from what I have read DC could not take advantage of three phase current and would be meaningless

The reason I ask is because I would like to add a protection switch from the phase wires to the controller to take advantage of any current generated from the motor free spinning as I use a gas motor to propel the bike and to prevent current backing up into the controller and potentially frying the controller
    I haven't had much time to do some testing on my spare motor but briefly put a voltmeter on it and spin the wheel by hand it appeared the motor produced three to five negative AC volts but I could not get an amp reading above zero
    Do you think I am being over paranoid about regenerating current by propelling this bike with gas and having the controller hooked up to the phase wires at the same time then frying the controller

You may be confusing 3 phase ac supply and 3 phase dc servo output. The fans in your pc are 2 phase dc and are humming along nicely. Also there is no such thing as negative ac voltage.

Comment

That would work but you will probably have to tone down the regen so you don't overheat your hub.

Comment

This is the first bike I have heard of that has both gas and electric motors.

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey hybrid bike. You could drive around on your battery and if it went dead just start your gas motor.

How would I tone down the regen to prevent overheating The Hub or did you mean overheating the controller.
        Are are you saying you could overheat The Hub or controller by coasting 35 miles per hour

Comment

Working...
        X