Best chain and cassette for BBSHD on 29er MTB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best chain and cassette for BBSHD on 29er MTB

Hi guys. I’m looking for a new cassette and couple of chains for my new project, Giant Anthem Advanced 29er. The cluster and chain I removed were super light weight so won,t be up to the task. I read that the Shimano. CS HG62 cluster comes highly recommended but I can’t buy one for love or money in Australia. The Shimano Devore HG 50 appears to be a candidate and available here.
    Im going to run a 42T up front and thinking 11 to 36T 10speed on the back. Mostly riding open track and commuting. Also any advice on the best chain for strength the durability.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

"Best"? Loaded question. Best for what?

Some might say the best is the SRAM EX1. It sure is sexy and is likely the most expensive.

I'm running the shimano M8000 cassette, derailleur and shifter with the HG701 chain - a higher-end setup at 20-25% the cost. Either 39t or 42t up front depending and either 11-42t or 11-46t depending. It works well for me although it's a bit fussy - most likely because it's 11speed - as long as I mess with it often it's great. Neglect for a while and not so much.

Plenty of folks are running many different options. Frankly I don't think it's much different than selecting one for a regular push bike except you might worry about chain line more...

Comment

Thanks AZguy. Not exactly sure myself re best. Probably should have said most suitable. I’m dropping big bucks on this project so might give the SRAM combo a try anyway.

Comment

I run a 29er MTB and use it for trails, trail centres, hill climbing rather than out and out road speed. I have what I believe is the perfect combination for my riding and bike setup, which is a 36v 500 watt BBS02.

Sunrace MS 10-Speed Wide-Ratio Cassette 11-46T (CSMS2 Steel version for strength and not the CSMX3 alloy version, which has been known to disintegrate under the ebike load).
        http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/cassettes-mtb

Lekkie Bling Ring gives me perfect chain alignment, 42T, low weight, and narrow/wide design for a more secure chain.
        https://lekkie.bike/shop/bling-ring/

Comment

HI Freewheelingf . I hadn,t even considered the SunRace products. I’ve got the 42T Bling ring up front. I’m thinking 11-36 would be fine on the back ratio wise. Thanks for the link. I’ll take a close look.

Comment

I'm running 4.7" 26" tires that are actually 29" around so likely very close you what you are doing.

With the 42t up front and the 11-46t, the low is perfect for climbing just about anything I've got the juevos to climb and top gear is a very gentle pedal cadence at 20mph and even 25mph isn't too bad...

I like those sunrace offerings and my try a steel 11-46t next time just to give it a whirl. I've used them on past bikes without issues but those weren't 10+speeds so I don't have personal with that. Since they offer 11-46t and 11-42t you may want to consider those if you think there's low speeds or seriously steep stuff in your horizons...

Comment

I'm using the Shimano HG400-9's which are steel and welded together - except for the last cog - so load is distributed across the entire cassette (I would assume this improves the longevity of both the cluster and the freehub body underneath). If there's a 10-speed version of this idea - regardless of brand - buy that. The best part of this is these clusters are meant for lower end bikes and as such they are cheaper. Its a boon to ebikers as strength trumps light weight and we get to pay less for it.

Comment

Hi MoneyPit. That’s actually good advice. Wish I’d read it yeasterd though because I’ve just ordered a Shamino Deore cluster and couple of Connex chains. I’ll see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                X