Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMHC TC488 communication protocol

Hi, new here and new to e-bikes.

I purchased an e-bike, overall the bike is quite nice and made well. It rides excellent.

I have been trying to find information on this for some time now, all while trying to get the manufacturer to just tell me the answer, which they continue to refuse.

Does anyone have experience with the DMHC TC488 computer and controller? Do you know what communication protocol is used?

I am trying to find out the communication protocol to possibly replace the TC488 HMI to something more advanced. No where can I find any details on it, the user manual provided is worthless and the computer/controller manufacturer does not offer anything (no real website, no retail involvement, sells only in bulk and only to bike producers and not consumers, etc). I want to replace it because I am not impressed by the TC488 (it is not what I expected) and I am having some issues with it.

If I can, I would like to avoid having to replace the controller as it would be quite involved (all the wiring) and the location in which the controller sits is quite specific (so I would have to find a controller either the same or smaller dimensions to the one I have).

Also... and this one is going to sound somewhat stupid, but I want to make sure I am thinking on the right lines... the motor can be attached to any controller, correct? So, I could switch everything if need be?

I know if I modify my e-bike, I will void my warranty... but the more I discuss things with the maker, I am learning it is worthless anyway.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by eChad305; 04-19-2018, 06:25 PM.

Ok, I didn't really expect anyone to know... it seems to be a very unknown display and controller.

I have been looking through controllers and can't even find a different one that is similar in size. Most are just to big in all dimensions or too long.

I guess I am stuck either with what I have or having to replace everything... but then again, can't find a controller small enough for the location it has to go.

Comment

Also, if anyone was wondering my goals...

I was trying to figure out if I could get a color LCD or TFT display, something with more capability/features, basically just a better designed control system. I flat out just don't like the one the bike came with.

Something like these:

Bafang DPC18 - http://www.bafang-e.com/en/component...p-c10uart.html
      NBPower LC960 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B76MVMD/
      Bosch Nylon - https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/nyon/

But obviously, since I don't have a compatible controller (and can't find one of the right dimensions), I can't use those.

I would love to get something like the Cobi Plus (www.cobi.bike) and just use my phone (though, don't think the Galaxy Note8 and future Note9 would fit the mount), but I don't have the Bosch motor nor compatible controller. There are other similar systems, but again I don't and can't find a controller that would work for my bike and those systems.

I wouldn't think the motor itself would matter much as long as the right settings on display/controller are set correctly and the voltage/amps/wattage match up correctly. But these advanced displays seem to be dedicated to a specific motor and controller.

For a little back info: the ebike that I have is a Stark Drive Advanced (www.starkdrive.bike) with all the upgrades. 500w 36v motor, 17ah battery, etc. The thing rides very well, though I will need a new, more comfortable saddle if I decide to go for longer rides, but right now it is used as a short distance commuter. I can get to about 26mph with full motor assist and peddling, which is about where I wanted to be (any faster, I might as well just get a motorcycle or better yet, a car).

Comment

Hello, I have the same bike and similar problems. Thus far I have found that you can reset the computer: hold +- and set key simultanuously till the psD00 shows up in the low right corner. Using + key go to psD78 and press set. of those i understand only Id 26/28 as a wheel diameter and SP for speed limit. and CL 00/01 for setting a trip counter.Could you identify the other options? Thanks. Dusan

Comment

The Stark looks like your average import bike. Motors and electronics are generally interchangeable as long as you treat the controller/display as a single component. There are some controllers and motors that don't use wheel rotation sensors for example, so that may restrict some mixing. Some higher end bikes use torque sensors instead of cadence sensors.

In my opinion, you're just asking for added complexity and misery if you want to add bluetooth to an ebike. I might go with a bluetooth tire pressure sensor built into the valve, because it won't screw up my ride home when if it doesn''t work.

Comment

• Dusan Neumann
            Dusan Neumann commented
            Editing a comment
            Stark is using a cadence sensor, supposedly switching to a torque sensor in the updated models. I
            do not know if they will offer an upgrade to the owners of current models. I still would like to know a protocol of TS-488 controller. It has 12 adjustable options, but I do not know what those abbreviations mean. I found out Ld = 26(28 a wheel diameter, UN - M/km switch, SP - speed, CL- Odometer reset. What is LA: starts with 20 and goes to 58, The other symbols unknown to me : LA? PA? SL? S6? PO? PS? PC?HA? Can anyone decipher it for me?
            Last edited by Dusan Neumann; 07-09-2018, 09:18 AM.

Originally posted by Dusan Neumann View Post
          Hello, I have the same bike and similar problems. Thus far I have found that you can reset the computer: hold +- and set key simultanuously till the psD00 shows up in the low right corner. Using + key go to psD78 and press set. of those i understand only Id 26/28 as a wheel diameter and SP for speed limit. and CL 00/01 for setting a trip counter.Could you identify the other options? Thanks. Dusan
          Hi, I am also interested in what the other settings do in the controllers advanced setup. I can help you this much though; Vol is voltage and it can be set to 24, 36 or 48 (this of course needs to be the same as your battery voltage. In my TC488 I can see 13 settings:
          1. Ld (Wheel Diameter): possible values 26, 24, 20, 18, 16, 14, 28, 700. Default: 26
          2. Vol (Voltage): possible values 24, 36 48. Default: 48
          3. LA: possible values: 58, 56, 54, 52, 50, 48, 46, 44, 42, 40, 38, 36, 34, 32, 30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 20. Default: 20
          4. UN (Units): possible values 00 (metric), 01 (imperial). Default: 00
          5. SP (Speed Governor) : possible values 20-29 and 60. Default: 60
          6. P1: Possible values 60-40, 15-09, 01. Default: 01
          7. CL (Clear trip counter): possible values 00, 01. Default: 00
          8. SL: possible values 00-10. Default: 00 (Changing this to 10 from 0 resetted both the trip and ODO)
          9. S6: possible values 00, 01. Default: 00
          10. P0: possible values 00, 01. Default: 00
          11. PS: possible values 00, 01. Default: 00
          12. PC: possible values 00, 01. Default: 00
          13. HA: possible values 01-06. Default: 01

The default LCD screen timeout/shutdown timer is 5 minutes, maybe one of the settings changes that? Also, one of the settings might change the backlight brightness of the LCD?
          Last edited by ePhat; 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks - I have figured those settings too (except SL), I have two issues I would like to address - an immediate assistance when I start from 0 (Assistance on my bike comes only after I reach the speed of 9km/h, and - if possible - additional currant to the motor when going up to very steep hill. Last 120m to my house are steep 18% incline.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusan Neumann View Post
              Thanks - I have figured those settings too (except SL), I have two issues I would like to address - an immediate assistance when I start from 0 (Assistance on my bike comes only after I reach the speed of 9km/h, and - if possible - additional currant to the motor when going up to very steep hill. Last 120m to my house are steep 18% incline.
              Here's another one; I'm thinking that LA is "Limit Amperage" which equals to the continuous current cut limit for the controller. Mine is set to 20 which makes sense since I have a 20A continuous max battery.

I don't have the issue with assistance starting only at 9km/h, I get assistance straight away from 0km/h. Could you please post your default values for all the 13 settings? And which controller unit does your bike have? Mine has a DMHC 48V 22+/-1A box which doesn't seem to have a proper model number at all.

Comment

• manuelectricista
                manuelectricista commented
                Editing a comment
                Hola a todos.
                Se puede ajustar el DC488 para que la asistencia entre a menos velocidad?
                A veces esto subiendo una montaña y el motor no está trabajando.
                Gracias

Hi everybody.
                can I adjust DC488 for motor work when I go less velocity?
                Maybe Im climing a mountain and the motor os not working
                Thanks

Hello, do you have any new ? please, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by fiocco View Post
                Hello, do you have any new ? please, thank you.
                Hi,
                no unfortunately not. Do you have any ideas or suggestions regarding the settings? Do you also have the exact same 13 settings and if so, what are your default values?

Comment

Hi, thanks for these messages guys! I'm glad there's at least someone out there that has the same controller. I received my first ever electric bike last week (Mpman EB7), which comes with this controller - the problem is it stops assisting at 20kmh even though the specs say max.25kmh... I have tried numerous times to change these settings (which by the way were default for me except 14 inch wheel diameter) incl. various iterations of P1 and SL-HA... I don't see any changes even for speed.

I thought maybe the controller has one of these looping speed limiters - but I guess it doesn't...

I'm thinking of sending the bike back - do you have any ideas maybe? :/ Thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ePhat View Post

Hi,
                    no unfortunately not. Do you have any ideas or suggestions regarding the settings? Do you also have the exact same 13 settings and if so, what are your default values?
                    Hello ePhat, thank to answer me, i have MPMAM EB7 wheel size 14".

Theo i can help you:

I install a "thumb trotlle Wuxing 130x" and i going to 30klm/h.

MPMAM EB7 - DMHC TC488 - Setting by default:

Ld (Wheel diameter) 14
                    VOL (voltage) 36
                    LA (Limit Amperage) 20
                    UN (Units) 00
                    SP 60
                    PI 01
                    CL 00
                    SL 00
                    S6 00
                    PO 00
                    PS 00
                    PC 00
                    HA 01

Finaly, i changed this controller with this and is very power full for up to 35klm/h GPS!

"Brain Power Controller 36v-350w-20a with LCD S886" (all setting can be changed)
                    Last edited by fiocco; 08-09-2018, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ePhat View Post

Hi,
                      Hello ePhat, thank to answer me, i have MPMAM EB7 wheel size 14".

MPMAM EB7 - DMHC TC488 - Setting by default:

Ld (Wheel diameter) 14
                      VOL (voltage) 36
                      LA (Limit Amperage) 20
                      UN (Units) 00
                      SP 60
                      PI 01
                      CL 00
                      SL 00
                      S6 00
                      PO 00
                      PS 00
                      PC 00
                      HA 01

Theo, i can help you, for bypass the limit, i install a "thumb throtlle Wuxing 130x" (the connector JST with 3 wires is free) and i going now to 30klm/h stock!

Finaly, i changed this controler by one of 36v-350w-20a with LCD S886 (all settings can be changed)
                      the power is very impressive to 35klm/h GPS, the motor is very good!!
                      Last edited by fiocco; 08-09-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Dusan Neumann
                        Dusan Neumann commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What is your new controller replacing TC-488 and where did you buy it? Is it difficult to re-wire bike?

I am also thinking about changing my controller&LCD, the DMHC controller itself works ok but I don't care much for the TC488-screen and its lack of features. I think that most of the "hidden"settings in the LCD don't do anything because they are probably designed for some specific controller and if you don't have that controller then the settings don't actually change anything.

The only problem is that to change the LCD you also have to change the controller...

Comment

Before changing the controler by another, I haved add a tin on the shunt and it's little better (more accélération).

i think the 36Volts 250Watts Sine Wave Controller S06S-BL (bluetooth) or with King Meter KM5S LCD Meter is a better solution because the motor is very noisy!

https://bmsbattery.com/controller/84...h-ios-app.html
                        Last edited by fiocco; 08-09-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X