Building leg strength with motorized trike: Questions I'd like answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building leg strength with motorized trike: Questions I'd like answered

It's been awhile since I checked in! I have ridden my BBS-HD Greenspeed Magnum 1000 miles to date. I am building my quads, calves and hammies. I have done this by riding in low gears in pedal assist 1. My motor is tuned down to 18 amps. I ride 11 miles every other day. My legs are building muscle, but my shins are burning under the knee (I'm bone on bone). I want to continue to build my legs, without incurring more arthritic issues. My cadence is about 60 RPM. Question time:

Would it be wiser to gear up from gears 1-3 to 4-6 and simply try to increase cadence to make up some of the lost speed? Is the resistance the primary factor in building leg strength?

I am not yet ready to ride unpowered (I'm 260 pounds with a 70 pound trike). If I did, I'd have to hamster pedal!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, my mileage per charge on my 52 amp 13.5ah shark battery is over 50 miles.

Thanks.

Moo (Marc)

I think this is the sort of advice you can get from a physical therapist. This forum is geared to bicycle parts not physical fitness.

With that said, as a cyclist, 'spinning' was always the way to go to build leg strength and endurance. Is that right for you with your medical history and physical condition? I wouldn't dare hazard a guess. You REALLY need to consult a physical therapist familiar with your medical history.

Comment

Interesting question. I had always took notice of the calf but not the shin.
      How to Exercise Your Shin Muscles. Your shin muscles in the front of your lower legs are important muscles to use when running and walking. They are simple muscles to exercise, either on your own or with a resistance band. Because they are...

Comment

Working...
      X