Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First e-bike suggestions

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the world of e-bikes and looking to learn from all of you!

My wife and I recently purchased a home and as a result we are now ~8 miles from work. Traffic is pretty bad where I live and it can take me as much as 40 mins to travel those 8 miles, something that I am really looking for avoid.

I have been looking at various options for the home-work-home commute. The ones I am considering are:

1. Purchase a ready-made e-bike: I was looking at options that give me 28 mph.
    2. Convert one of my road-bikes into an e-bike with the Bafang 750W kits.
    3. Buy a 150 or 250 cc scooter.

I do a lot of road-biking (and intend to on days where I am not required to come in early), and that is my preferred mode of transport, which is why I am tending towards Options 1 or 2. I especially like the idea of using the bike-lanes and avoiding traffic.

I am looking for recommendations for both the options. I like option 2 since it would mean that I can use my existing road-bike rather than adding another one to my fleet (=happy wife!), but I have no idea how reliable the Bafang kits are.

I called the local e-bike shops and looks like I am looking at $3000+ for Option 1, which is rather steep (it's almost as pricey as a 150 cc scooter!).

I was hoping to get some advice and opinions from the folks here before making a decision.

Thanks a lot.

Avi

Just to add. I am seeing Option 1 bikes for ~$1700. One of the bikes I am looking at is the Haibike SDURO Cross 4.0

Comment

• max_volt
      max_volt commented
      Editing a comment
      I am seeing the haibikes deeply discounted if you look around online. That is if you are into something like that.

FLX bikes is headquartered in your area.

If built carefully and cared for, I'd guess that the Bafang BBS02 is comparable to the Yamaha motor reliability-wise, more powerful, but not as refined. I would suggest not going fly-weight on an electric commuter - opt for picking a bike with stronger components such as the wheels, and damned good brakes.
    Last edited by ncmired; 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Thanks. I will look into FLX. The options for ready-made bikes I currently have are either the FLX or the Haibikes.

Comment

It sounds like you’re an established bike rider already. 8 miles is a ride in the park, figuratively. An ebike will likely make your trip enjoyable and stress free. You won’t have to necessarily arrive in a lather of sweat, needing a shower either. 8 miles. Either option 1 or 2 sound like decent options.
        I possibly won’t win any mates here by saying it, but for a first ebike, a factory fitted machine from your local bike shop would be a good option. There are one or two ideosinkracies with build yourself ebikes so a factory fit and local bike shop support provides a good introduction. Word of warning. Ebikes are bloody addictive and you’re going to need more than one.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I just test-rode a Stromer ST1 Platinum and Hard Tail: I can already see what you are saying......the kick you get from the pedal assist is awesome! I really like the Stromer and at $2500 for the ST1 Platinum, it seems like a really good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Tail View Post
            It sounds like you’re an established bike rider already. 8 miles is a ride in the park, figuratively. An ebike will likely make your trip enjoyable and stress free. You won’t have to necessarily arrive in a lather of sweat, needing a shower either. 8 miles. Either option 1 or 2 sound like decent options.
            I possibly won’t win any mates here by saying it, but for a first ebike, a factory fitted machine from your local bike shop would be a good option. There are one or two ideosinkracies with build yourself ebikes so a factory fit and local bike shop support provides a good introduction. Word of warning. Ebikes are bloody addictive and you’re going to need more than one.
            I was leaning towards converting my existing road-bike into an e-bike with the Bafang kit, but I agree with ncrkd: the road I intend to ride on, I think I am better off with a sturdier bike. My road-bikes are speedsters, but they are definitely not sturdy.

Comment

Folks,

Bought a used Stromer ST1 touring from Craigslist locally yesterday. I got it for $1250 and I thought it's a price I could not refuse.

Wow!! the bikes blows me away......glad I bought it. The power and acceleration and the feel of the bike is something I have never experience before. I rode it to work today and arrived fresh and actually smelling good! Looking forward to my daily rides already.

Avi

Comment

Congrats Avi - best of luck, and enjoy the riding.
                BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Good job psychoanalyst. Sounds like you’re off to a good start. I’m four yrs down the ebike path theses days and I started out with a factory build. Word of warning. These things are addictive and you’ll be owning more than one bike in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Tail View Post
                    Good job psychoanalyst. Sounds like you’re off to a good start. I’m four yrs down the ebike path theses days and I started out with a factory build. Word of warning. These things are addictive and you’ll be owning more than one bike in the future.
                    Had to laugh when I saw this since I now have three e-bikes each with a different purpose. Downhill e-mtnb, e-fatbike and a cross country e-mtnb.

Comment

Great purchase and do enjoy the heck out of it but once you get settled in imagine if you will 2 or 3 times the wattage, what could you do with it.

Comment

I am already hooked and if this pans out long term, I can easily see myself going for the ST2 next year!

Comment

Working...
                        X