BBSHD Clutch is toast in under 30 miles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Clutch is toast in under 30 miles

A few weeks ago I picked up a BBSHD Ludicrous, and I just got the time to finally go for a ride today. Everything was great for the first 20 miles or so, until I lost connectivity with my cranks and the chain. I figured it was the clutch, and I still had power to get me home using pedal assist and throttle so I didn’t stop to try and diagnose it on the trail.

When I got home I discovered that the clutch was the problem. I didn’t notice any weird noises when it went out - probably because I was on some single track trails at the time. I don’t even know the exact time it happened, but this is what it looked like when I pulled it out and cleaned it up. It looks like the spring/lock ring caught on something and and got bunched up. There is no other damage, and no metal shrapnel anywhere to be found.

My questions are:
    Was this caused by power from me or the motor?

I initially cleaned and greased all gears, and i greased the clutch with Mobil 28. Should I grease the clutch?

Can I fix this for a spare?

Whats the best way to avoid this?

I’ve put many miles on Cyclone 3,000’s, BBS02’s and standard BBSHD’s so I’m confident my riding style isn’t too insane because I’ve never had this type of failure before. I’ve already ordered a couple of new clutches so I have a spare, and I want to try and avoid this from happening again.

Thanks.
    Matt

This was caused by power from your legs. Try not to pedal so hard when you ride these motors and don't put all your weight on one side of the crank. Let the motor do most of the work.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I’ll take it easier with the legs in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X