Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perry's power bikes

https://www.perryspowerbikes.com/product-p/m1-ppb.htm

Been beating up my Kona splice with my bbs02 kit and was looking for a full suspension. Been talking to these guys and pulled the trigger, priced well and over built with lots of top components...Perry was an aircraft mechanic technician and knows his stuff. Gonna take the Bafang kit off my Splice hardtail and put it into my 1997 Proflex Beast for my kids to play with. Had that bike kicking around thought it would be a fun full suspension

Those do look nice. Full suspension Ultra Fat bike, also available, neato.

I'll be interested to hear how well the suspension works.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Should be here thursday or friday.... very excited

Comment

So I have ridden this bike a few times and here are my thoughts...
        Firstly this came with the Bafang Ultra 750w drive. Everything I have read says that this is a beefier and better motor than the BBSHD but this thing is a dog. I have a BBS02 on my hardtail and it kicks ass over this motor. I am wondering if it was programmed to be less effective to save on warranty? I ordered a programming cable but upon reading I guess its not compatible with a mac so I will have to deal with that.
        Secondly, this is pretty heavy by comparison but it does have HD tektra Dorado brakes and is well made. The front shock seems pretty basic, its an air fork and I have it set at about 130lbs and it seems to work ok, the rear shock seems decent but overall it doesn't climb as well as my 29er.
        Third..the saddle and pedals are pretty much junk, be more typical of a roady from Dicks and Walmart and I swapped those out
        The crank arm fell off on the first ride and after getting a new bolt..(They are way bigger than the BBS02 and not a stock item to get) I checked all the bolts on the bike and they are all loose
        It comes with a 38t chainring and it is too small...I feel like I am spinning way faster than I am going...lowest gear pedal assist 9 going all out is only 25mph max..
        The battery was stated at 48v 16.5a and my 48v 12a lasts longer...there is a serious battery drain somewhere
        lastly it comes with a DP-18 screen and it only allows you to set it for Econ or Sport modes so I switched it out with an 850c I had and got the multiple levels I was looking for...
        Lastly.. Perry is a super nice guy but after a few phone calls its apparent he is somewhat knowledgable but doesn't know a lot about bikes, especially the Bafang motors. I think he buys these in bulk from a builder and resells either through his shop assembled or just out the door in a box.. I live in a hilly backroad/logging road area in Vermont and he admits the bike may not be suitable for my riding style..
        Bottom line...I wish I bought a full suspension bike used and added my own kit rather than going the OEM route...I would have been better off with a Haibike for about the same money...live and learn the bike is for sale if you are interested

Comment

Thanks a lot for the detailed impressions.

I hope you can ride a Luna Ultra kit, sometime, and if you do, let us know if the motor feels more powerful and runs efficiently. Or, same info if you change your programming, or try a larger battery pack (current capability). From what I've read, I expect the Luna version will out-perform your bike, but sure would like to hear a firsthand report.

The Ultra is on my Radar for my next potential kit or bike....and I think Luna has worked on the programming so it's not what you'd get elsewhere.

I finally rode a torque sensing bike, a Specialized, and it was rated only 250W. For what it was, assist felt natural, and good. It felt good for 250, made a lot of it. I think I'd really like torque sensing with some power behind it, and throttle feature, as with Ultra! But your experience is very interesting; I wouldn't be happy with it, like that, either.

Maybe the motor isn't the difference, perhaps the battery pack you have is not up to the task, and is holding the bike back, running cells too hard? Thus less range and power? Do cells get hot? What do you think about this?

Thanks again.

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

He says that the battery pack is 48w 16v with all panasonic cells so it should be able adequate for the motor. I did notice today that the bike likes a lot of pedal power meaning the faster you pedal and get the rpm's up the power seems to be better and more responsive... I defineately don't feel that power surge when you first pedal the bike like I do with my BBS02 motor. I will have to figure out how to get into the settings and see if the OEM builder has them too low. I ordered a programming chord but I have a mac so Ill see what I can come up with

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCR3iV3d9I

Found this

Comment

I, too, just bought a bike from Perry's Power Bikes in NY. I started to buy from Frey's but almost got defrauded out of a $3,100.00 wire transfer. Apparently somebody hacked into Ivy's email (she's the Frey rep) and sent me a fake invoice based on the specs we had worked out. Luckily my bank was able to cancel the wire transfer before the receiver got it. Ivy was totally helpful but it made me think twice about doing a transfer and waiting a month for a bike so I went with an M1 Pro Mountain with Perry's. Was able to use a credit card and deal with a US company and the bike was here in a couple of days.

My first eMTB so I have nothing to compare it to and it so far has been good with my minimal use. I am interested in your changeover to the different screen. Was it plug and play or did you have to do some mods? What does it offer that the DP-18 screen doesn't? Was it expensive? I'm pretty much riding this on streets, light dirt roads, and park trails for now. I'm trying to figure a way to lower the bike because in my uniform BDU pants the crotch hangs lower than typical riding gear and I catch on the top bar or the front of the seat snags on occasion. I think the department would pay for smaller wheels (26) and maybe offset shock bushings, etc. so I can patrol safely on it.

What pedals and seat did you go with? I, too, am not crazy with the seat and I am not enough of an experienced off road rider to know what to look for in a set of pedals.

I note that Perry sent me an email reminding me to pull off the cranks, clean in brake cleaner, and re-install using locktite blue.

Lastly, did you figure out how to open up the included tail light? I didn't want to force anything and break something.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any advice or info.
                Last edited by Eltee; 08-14-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

What I like about the 850c screen is the ability to program it for assist levels 1-9. I ride a lot of hills and billy goat trails here in Vermont and like the ability to micro manage the settings for battery management. It also shows time and distance on the bottom of the screen which the DP-18 doesn't do, plus the reset on the 850c is simple to clear. Yes its plug and play but you will need to take off the control pad as well.
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZNW...7eAPHNT2Z/view
                  This is the link for software to reset the parameters on the motor controller. Do some research and you will find the settings and how to do it. This motor is a torque sensing drive and is different from my other mid drive which is a BBS02. I am finding it to be sluggish and underpowered and I am hoping the settings can be altered to make it better as well as increase the battery life.
                  I have larger downhill pedals with small spikes, it like riding around on a waffle iron...
                  That seat is awful, I rode it once and my riding shorts snagged on the front of the seat and piled drive my nut sack... I had another saddle from my Kona that I put on but a simple trip to your local bike shop with tear you in the right direction.
                  I didn't even see a tail light... I ripped off all the crap light the front led light, reflectors etc... I even spray painted off the giant M1 PRO MOUNTAIN off the front tube. I just couldn't stand to look at it.
                  This bike is very heavy for an e bike and i am hoping a reprogram of the motor will help.
                  Definitely take off the cranks and locktite them..mine fell off the first 3 miles. I then checked all the nuts and they are loose everywhere...
                  So far my first impression is MEH...

Comment

Just had my first ride after the reprogram and it's better....
                    the factory settings weren't all too bad but the assist numbers made no sense like 1 was 22 2 was 32 3 was38
                    Just stupid
                    The settings on the pedal assist page for designated assist and speed limited wasn't set to " by displays command" so I feel that helped alot...
                    The tourque settings were all set pretty close to the special sauce settings... I wish I knew more about this page because I think the tourque could be better but I don't want to go just changing things without knowing...
                    The limit current was set to 25 and I read somewhere changing it to 30 was better with the ultra? But I don't want to fry my motor...
                    All in all a better ride with better battery but I could use more power and tourque.. I followed karls special sauce to the number except I changed the wheel size to 27
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Working on new M1 Pro Mountain bike now !
                      Soaking up all input from you guys and gals.
                      Been test riding my new M1
                      Here some highlights:
                      1) Much stronger reinforced frame , bigger bearings heavy rear suspension arms
                      2) Sram EX1 8 speed ( 40T 11-48 cassette .83 to: 3.64 )
                      Included with bike extra 44 T crank change ratio to: .92 to: 4.0 ( 5 minute swap out.)
                      3) 160mm Yari Rockshox forks - Rockshox super deluxe rear shock
                      4) Maxxis 3.0 rear 2.6 front tire
                      5) 850 c display 1-9 level pas
                      6) Much improved 48v 17or 21 amp hour lithium ion ( spare battery's @ best prices in US )
                      7) 1000 watt Ultra ( this thing rips )
                      8) Hope to have 3 color choices: Bright orange frame / black swing arm ..... Dark blue frame / white swing arm ..... Black bike / charcoal grey swing arm + full color logos
                      Feedback very important to me, Thanks, Perry

Comment

• ions82
                        ions82 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thumbs up for manufacturers and retailers who listen to customers and continually strive to improve. I feel fortunate to be a part of this fantastic e-bike community.

Sounds like the OP's Ultra just needs to be tuned. It's every bit as powerful and capable as a BBSHD. A friend of mine has one and is thrilled with the torque sensing and available power. He beats the heck out of it. I ordered one and will build it into a prototype handcycle this winter. It won't be as widely used as the other Bafang mids, but I think it will be a gem once any kinks are worked out.

Comment

Been riding / testing my new M1 very pleased with results, frame is strong, the Rockshoxs and 3'' tires soak up everything I have been riding on,
                        mud, rocks, deep ruts and lots of big tree roots ! My goal is to have the best performance e mountain bike in US for your dollar, hope to see it @ $3300.

Comment

I have been chasing the tuning settings around and have found some that are working pretty good for me, I simply feel that the cadence settings on the BBS02 are better than the torque sensing ultra.Plus I am not super stoked on the weight of it, but once I get back on it again in the spring i'll get to play with it some more

Originally posted by ions82 View Post
                          Sounds like the OP's Ultra just needs to be tuned. It's every bit as powerful and capable as a BBSHD. A friend of mine has one and is thrilled with the torque sensing and available power. He beats the heck out of it. I ordered one and will build it into a prototype handcycle this winter. It won't be as widely used as the other Bafang mids, but I think it will be a gem once any kinks are worked out.

Comment

Working...
                          X