eBike laws are Fat Shaming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBike laws are Fat Shaming!

Write your congressman. Have you ever seen what weight does to your ebike? OMG, I loaded the trailer to make me like a 300 pound person and felt it for myself. 250 watts would not even get me up a handicap ramp. ebike laws will keep big people in the slow lane with the rest of the second class citizens.

That's what bugs me about the ebike laws. The skinny kid and the obese oldster are lumped in together.

Comment

People who make laws have never built one. This is my most interesting build yet. 30 years ago I told my buddy if he gets a huge hang glider he can float like a butterfly. I can get a tiny one and scream across the sky. It is just a math problem. He has yet to even ask if there are laws against what we are building, but the fat shaming joke came from us drag racing. At half his weight and using a ludi it was like we were not even on the same planet. Switching bikes only meant I won by a little less. Haven't told him about Ludis yet. We will do a write up and beg Paxtana for a Ludi. On the other side of the scale, pun intended, you should see him throw the 55 pound ebike in the truck! No wonder I hide behind him in a fight. Made me go to the store in South Shore and ride the Focus Jam.

Even at 40 pounds the Jam is not as easy for me to throw around as he can toss the 55 pound bike. I like the Jam though. Di2 shifting doesn't work if the battery is dead. Think about that.

Spinning Magnets wants repost the ninth graders essay on reditt asking to ban eMTBs. Do it. There is a reason we don't let ninth graders vote. What worries more is the young arguing FOR a nanny state.

Come ride with me. My dogs and I get dive-bombed by 9th graders going for Strava times everyday. Hell, when Commuterebikes and I went for a ride on the bike path we got dive-bombed with no bell or warning by the roadies! (I want a road bike now.) Ban ninth graders and roadies!

So there is only one law, physics. All I can do is gear the HD for him. .8 is what I want but as we all know the best we can do without chainline from hell is 42 to 46 or .91 Maybe with a Ludi it will be better, but we are hill climbing, just worried about the motor. Maybe 20 degrees slope. I'll get better numbers for the write up, but steep enough that it surprised him.

I am kind of sick of him being surprised. My rear air shock will hold him when pumped to 300, but he locks it out as if he is going to break it. So on his bike I gave him a spring, 700 pound spring, but there is no way to lock it out. Plush is nice, but you are really going to like getting hooked up in loose hill climb stuff. Dude is athletic and can ride well, build the bike for him, not the other way around. We can hold back in the next life.

Opps, probably should stay away from the computer when I wake and bake.

Comment

• xcnick
        xcnick commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you big enough? I need a 300 pound tester. You used the word obese which confused me. I am working on the write up now and trying to pick words. Obese just seems wrong. I hook up the trailer with cinder blocks to make me obese. The Ludi is very noticeable under load as they say. (Pun intended but I think I missed). I hope we have a chance to see if it can be an equalizer. Imagine ordering an HD and entering a field with your weight to get the right controller...

• max_volt
        max_volt commented
        Editing a comment
        I was that weight last year but have dropped 15%. When the HD is moving it's great but when I mash on the throttle to dislodge myself from a gnarly path from a dead stop it's next to useless. Maybe there is no controller that would help because I think torque is very dependent on rpm with electric motors.

• xcnick
        xcnick commented
        Editing a comment
        Share technique. We are working with just what you said. If the bike only weighs 1/6 your weight you should not ride it like a motorcycle. More ski than car. We have a sharp turn where you almost come to a stop and then have to climb. With the seat supper low the foot drag turned into a foot plant which turned into a foot plant and push. Even I have hills where I have only half my weight on the bike and I am walking giant moon steps as we go up. Everything that is bad form on a motorcycle works really well. Did some drag racing to 30 feet by starting in a higher gear and sorta jumping on after it got going. These are the first times I have ever loaded up the motor. One is cutting out randomly so I may have been too reckless. No smoke or fire yet. Anybody know what will happen: BBSHD too high a gear, too big a load, etc.?

EMTB did a test of range big guy vs small girl. They came out similar in range, but I question the test. I see how with the man providing more muscle power the range could came out similar. However since she ran out of battery going uphill they either don't know how to milk the end of a battery, or they do and wanted a certain result. The other tests will tell if they have an agenda with their test. This show definitely has an agenda to limit everything to Class 1. They have sponsors who only sell Class 1. It may be important to do some testing in a scientific environment before fake news makes more laws in favor of the major manufactures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI0PbgbMbfA

Comment

You only live once, so build what YOU want. You will probably be okay if you ride safely. This probably wouldn’t fly in NYC, though.
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 1 week ago.

Comment

Isn't the whole point of most of the laws (if you are inclined to follow them) to encourage people who are riding motorcycle-y things to get an M endorsement & put plates on?

I mean, there are similar can't-get-out-of-it's-own-way regs for gas-motorized bikes...

And no such limits for motorcycles (on-road or off)....

Comment

• commuter ebikes
            commuter ebikes commented
            Editing a comment
            ...and no power limits for cars, either.

Once you pay your fees, you can have as much HP and torque as you want.
        Working...
        X