Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Super Simple Straight 28 Ebike Law (Proposed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Super Simple Straight 28 Ebike Law (Proposed)

Excerpt from Utah Senate Bill 121 (proposed 2/1/2016, Spon. Todd Weiler)
    (13) "Electric assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with an electric
    85 motor that:
    86 (a)has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
    87 [and]
    88 (b)is not capable of:
    89 (i)traveling at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground when:
    91 (A) powered solely by the electric motor; and
    92 (B) operated by a person who weighs 170 pounds; and
    9395 (ii) traveling at a speed of more than 28 miles per hour on level ground when powered
    96 simultaneously by the electric motor and an operator who weighs 170 pounds;
    97 (c) has fully operable pedals on permanently affixed cranks; and
    99 (d) is fully operable as a bicycle without the use of the electric motor.
    Looks like this to me: You can ride an ebike with a throttle at 20 mph. If you pedal and have a motor, you can go 28 mph. No need for pedal assist. No 3 classes. It says you can have 1000 watts. The bike has to be operable without a motor, with permanent pedals.
    I’m guessing there is no discrimination between throttle and PAS. I’m guessing the 28 mph is mostly honor system. Please pedal when you do 21 mph or higher. I’m guessing bikes have access to bike paths, all e bikes, and you obey the speed limits.

This would open things up, with just a 1,000 watt limit and a 28 mph max speed. The Cal stuff is very different.

I wish they would allow up to 4kW and 35mph, or at least take into consideration the weight of the bike+rider. When I started ebiking I weighed 320lbs on a 75lb ebike with fat tires and a lot of cargo. 1000W isn't too much help there. My first ebike only went 16mph and it took too long to get to work.

I will be looking into registering my ebike as a homemade motorcycle (complete with lighting, turn signals, registration and insurance) because my bike+rider+cargo weight is still over 350lbs and the fat tires require a lot of power. It is more fun to travel at >25mph.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 02-20-2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

They could create a category for experimental electric vehicles, give people 10 years to play with stuff that was under 10 HP, something like that. You can get away with a lot of stuff with home builder type aircraft. I add motors to bikes and figure I'll go about the speed the bike went. I'm not sure what you really need to go 30 mph and up. For a long time the limit was 20 mph, and now bikes are being allowed to go 28 mph. No one really knows how it is going to work out. To go 28 mph in California, you have to use pedal assist and you can't go on bike paths. That's what this proposal seems to reject. You almost have to wait and see what happens in California with the 28 mph bikes. But like I say, have a category somewhere for people to experiment. Don't allow commercial stuff, but home built stuff.

Comment

I was really happy to read that California law changes recently allowed 28-MPH as a pedelec, and up to 20-MPH using a hand-throttle. Its not a perfect law, but it is a huge improvement. In truth, Eric was right when he wrote that "Its legal if you can ride past a cop and not get pulled over". I have a car that can go 120-MPH, but I drive the legal limit of 75-MPH on the Interstate highway here. Power limits in the law are nuts, what cop will carry a multi-meter to measure my battery volts, and know how to calculate the amps and watts? If you are not riding in a reckless manner, they don't care if you have a motor. But...if you draw their attention (by causing an accident with a car or pedestrian?) they will throw the book at you.

Comment

• gman1971
          gman1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bingo, you hit the nail in the head.

Agreed. Do away with the power limits. I have cargo bike with a 3k cyclone mid drive. Hardly ever go past 25 mph. I would be illegal since I'm over the allowed 1k watts.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
          I wish they would allow up to 4kW and 35mph, or at least take into consideration the weight of the bike+rider. When I started ebiking I weighed 320lbs on a 75lb ebike with fat tires and a lot of cargo. 1000W isn't too much help there. My first ebike only went 16mph and it took too long to get to work.

I will be looking into registering my ebike as a homemade motorcycle (complete with lighting, turn signals, registration and insurance) because my bike+rider+cargo weight is still over 350lbs and the fat tires require a lot of power. It is more fun to travel at >25mph.

Wouldn't you just be a moped then instead of a motorcycle? That would seem a lot simpler as far as registering it and all that.

The law passed btw, but at 750W instead of 1000.

https://legiscan.com/UT/text/SB0121/2016
          Last edited by Sneakers915; 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Here is a simpler one still: "A legal ebike is a bike you can ride past a police officer and not get pulled over. "

Comment

• CraigAustin
              CraigAustin commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! Luckily cops here know little about bikes and nothing about e-bikes.

It works for DIY, but some giant company like Accell will have to listen to their lawyers or end up like Volkswagen. So how nasty do those big companies get about DIY. I heard that a big dealer might make a big connection to DIY. That might mean DIY is getting big enough to be a real threat to these guys. Legal liability is a total pain in this country. It ruined flying for people who aren't rich. Basically there has never been an ebike law that wasn't torn to shreds by everyone in the industry. My view is I'm willing to push things, but I only want to get caught once. Once they've told me I'm a bad boy, I'm done with that strategy.

Comment

What in the world is in Utah water? 170lbs? Somebody please, make sense of that?

Comment

What the DIY industry could best do, in my persoanal list of preferences, is come up with a brake set as effective as my 30 mph scooter. I ran my latest build on the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation ) track and was dissapionted. OSHA and it's ilk exist as a result of deaths and injuries. But better I stop the safer I am. Mind IMNSHO. YMMV.

Comment

We need less law's not more law's!

Comment

• New Mariner
                    New Mariner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    George S. I don't want to get stopped even once. They have no clue about ebikes where I live. Don't want to give it to them
                Working...
                X