Batt Man monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batt Man monitor

Are these any good? Was looking for something more accurate for determining battery usage and remaining power.

They are nice, yes. Mine's been trouble-free.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Well, I got my Batt Man and have it installed with my MP5. I set the parameters with the USB and did a test ride. Seems to be working OK. I do have a question, though,... maybe a stupid one. How do you reset the monitor? It shows AH used since last reset, but I assume that should be reset with each charge to be useful. Same with the trip odometer. Surely I don't have to plug into a computer to do that, do I?

Comment

press and hold the button - it'll say Refresh or Reset - click the button again and it will wipe last rides data including trip. It keeps overall Odometer so you can see what your total mileage is from day one

Comment

Thanks. I figured there had to be a way. Didn't see that in the instructions, though...

Comment

I installed two Batt-Mans. Both are with Golden Motor hub drives, SP5 and an MP5. One works perfectly except for the Wh with no power load. It shows Ah and Watts when under power as it should. This is the one with the SP5.

But the other Batt-Man with the MP5 won't show Ah or Watts under power. All other parameters seem to be fine. I checked everything I could think of, wiring, etc, did resets, but have not been able to get it to work.

Any suggestions?

I saw on another recent thread, there is firmware that will show Wh when idle. Should I maybe try load this firmware and see if it works?

Comment

Still looking for some help here. I tried downloading the firmware with the Wh at idle, but no difference. Ah and Watts still don't show up on my display. I did email support at Batt-Man and they thought maybe the shunt was reversed. But I installed it just like the other one (which does work) with the red wire side going to the controller and the single black wire going to the battery.

Is it possible the shunt is defective on my Batt-Man? I haven't taken anything apart there yet to check (not even sure how to check). I did charge my 52V 13.5 Ah bottle pack to 100%. Is it possible that was too much power for the shunt?

Any suggestions welcome. I am not sure what else I can try.

Comment

The firmware worked for me, I got Wh first try. That only appears if current is very low, though. I had previously used the USB to recalibrate the meter to show zero amps when the motor isn't running. And I have my lights on a different circuit so they don't affect it .

For your 2nd unit, I'd still suspect wiring. Shunt is just a low value resistor. Charging can't hurt it. You need to use the big studs to connect power wires, and the small ones for sense wires, not tie them together.

Not sure that helps...good luck .
                Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

No problem with the firmware. That works. But the one unit (other unit works fine) will just not display Ah and W,... load or no load, and always zero instead. I made contact with Yoav from Israel, and we did some troubleshooting after which he confirmed the unit is defective (probably the shunt). I will be returning it to Luna for a replacement.

Comment

But I really like the other Batt-Man that is working on my SP5 20" folder. I have the Wh firmware installed, and it shows the Wh at idle and instantaneous Ah and W under load. I don't understand why they would have removed that feature with the other firmware. And that peak page is great, too, so you can see all your maximums.

Also, I noticed when regen braking, my volts go up a couple (from idle votes), so it appears to be charging the battery. I am only using 30% regen on this bike. I didn't notice that before, so maybe the firmware change enabled that.

So all in all, I do like the Batt-Man, gives a lot of info to help with battery and power monitoring.

Comment

• JPLabs
                      JPLabs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The firmware was simplified because the Wh was confusing some customers, per the Batt Man guy. Glad he freely provides the original version!

​An affordable battery monitor that does exactly that: providing critical information about the status of your battery bank under all circumstances
                    Last edited by Rodney64; 06-24-2016, 01:00 PM. Reason: Edited out spam

Comment

Working...
                    X