Some people are wrapped too tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people are wrapped too tight

Electric Bikes - A troubling trend or the future? Is this legal on the beach and these SoCal trails? - Came across this video recently done as an advertising video for one of the main E-bike converters done in The Bu (Malibu, CA). You Tube No helmets? Zoom of the rear tires spinning from a dead stop? Whole lot of

Wow, too tight for sure...
    Alpha One 6000W tadpole e-Trike (Cyclone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC8MRwvgUM
    Alpha Two Cyclone 3000W tadpole e-Trike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkakVw8yY8E
    Electric Cyclone 3000W eBike "power mod": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weSmz_h3Ig

Comment

To be expected really. The cycling community is loaded with misfits and angry nerds. Hundred bucks says not one of those commenters has even ridden an e-bike. Sooner or later they will though, and realize how f-ing awesome it is.

Comment

The bike forum website is hit-or-miss, but...the mtbr sire has the most visceral ebike hate.

Comment

• CraigAustin
          CraigAustin commented
          Editing a comment
          Mtbr is the misfit's chapel. After being persecuted by hikers and runners for decades, you'd think they would have some sympathy for e-bikes.

I was surprised the responses were as balanced as they were. I usually just assume bicycle enthusiasts who don't ride ebikes are negative toward them. Think of them as a threat.

Gotta assume the purpose of the video is to increase interest about Luna in people who are already interested in ebikes. (I personally think Luna is one of the best things that's happened in the world of ebikes.) The promo video for how responsible and respectable ebikers are would probably be a little different.

I was encouraged by the more reasonable comments.

Comment

Change is happening...some people like change some don't. There will always be some that no mather if it's good or not they will object....they want everything the way it was! It's a new sport it's no there to replace MTB, it's not just a gimmick either, it's here and they will have have to deal with it.

Unfortunately they can throw stones that can hurt our hobby. Let's continue what we are doing.

Comment

Agreed, change is happening. And each one of us who ride to work on an eBike is making an example for others to follow; showing them that there are other ways to do it besides the car. Once people start to realize that for 3 mile commutes you can use an eBike things will start changing quickly and the bicycle could become the predominant short range vehicle, to the hatred of MTBrs who use it for sport... they just don't like the fact it can become a commuter with the aid of a button/throttle, as they are not realizing that people getting to work don't want to be super fit just to get there.

G.
            Alpha One 6000W tadpole e-Trike (Cyclone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC8MRwvgUM
            Alpha Two Cyclone 3000W tadpole e-Trike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkakVw8yY8E
            Electric Cyclone 3000W eBike "power mod": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weSmz_h3Ig

Comment

Yeah, it's crazy... Why can't we all share! I am a floatplane pilot and we have had problems, where the Sierra Club (and their ilk) have tried to shut us out from some BC Parks lakes in the back country. Floatplanes have been using these lakes forever, and just recently the back country hikers have found them and are now trying to claim them for their own. The irony of it too, is that they were first introduced to these beautiful spots by floatplanes dropping them off.

But we have a strong floatplane association in BC and have managed to cultivate a good relationship with the Parks people. We help them by reporting on remote locations (and sometimes transporting them) as they don't have the govt funds to do it all themselves. We always carry extra plastic garbage bags when we fly and carry out garbage left behind by back country hikers (more irony). And we have organized many other clean-up projects. It is fun for us, and again appreciated by the Parks staff.

Maybe the ebike community needs to form an association to not only promote our activities but also protect our rights.

Comment

I don't know how the people on those sites find the time to argue back and forth ad nauseum. I would have guessed that an e-bike section on mtbr would have had more informative e-bike content rather than pages and pages of arguing.

I definitely like this forum for its lack of acrimony.

Comment

Yeah,

Seemed like a bunch of boot-licking Statist Idolators to me.

As their comments would probably generalize if some surfer came along with a theoretically different kind of surf board that didn't have a Tax Stamp from their Master, wherever surfers might theoretically be compelled to annually register and pay a sticker/extortion fee. You know, like Nazi Germany, where some people were anxious to turn in their neighbor to the monstrous SS.

Comment

• Sebz
                    Sebz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Probably someone will develop a battery operated surf board and it will be the same.... except surfers act more then the usual forum bashing...I seen too many real fist fights about nothing on the beach!

I wonder if the e-bike naysayers know how much us e-bike enthusiasts spend on bicycle parts. This spending strengthens the bicycle sector of the economy, provides respectable jobs, lowers the price of bike parts, reduces carbon emissions, promotes exercise, and populates the world with more spare bike parts.

All of this spending is to the detriment of the automobile and oil industry and whatever other industry got all of our money before we came to love e-bikes.

Comment

• wklatt
                    wklatt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not that I want to open this can of worms, and believe me I am a big proponent of EVs (I also own a Prius). But the reality today is that the EV's reputation as a coal burner is not completely wrong. Fortunately here in BC where I live, our power comes primarily from hydro, so that is not the case. I have one ebike up and running now, and soon will have four going. So I am sold.

I commute everyday on my e-bike at an average speed of 28 mph, and everyday I blaze past traditional bicycle commuters. I can understand that it would be discouraging for them to be working (pedaling) hard at their emissions free commute only to have another bicyclist whiz past them. You have to wonder how much of this venom is coming from people who have been passed in such a manner.

Comment

• wklatt
                    wklatt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the big opposition is from the mtn bike purists. It is not jealousy. They see ebikes as a threat to their dominance of the the off road trails and they don't want to share. I know one personally, and when he heard that I was converting a mtn bike to ebike, he was horrified. I would not want to run into him on a mtn bike trail. Luckily, where I do my mtn biking, it is true wilderness back country, so not likely to run into his ilk. This is a real problem. But I think commuter ebikes will be OK.

Yeah, I agree, I pass commuters all the time as well; and I usually take the center of the road and speed up to 40-45 mph out of courtesy to pass them quickly when I am passing other cyclist, then I return to cruise speed.

On a side note, I've also seen some hatred from those small scooters too.. not sure what their problem might be there tho. Any thoughts?

G.

Comment

• wklatt
                    wklatt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My first 2 wheel EV was an escooter, and it was a dog. Could barely make it up a small hill and was impractical to pedal. The pedals were only there to be street legal. It was way too heavy, and the batteries (4 large 12V sealed lead acid) did not last long, and I always had range anxiety with that one. I soon sold it.

Now maybe it's jus 'cause I'm, "an old man on a bicycle",... but among young and old, I've always had positive comments and intrigue. Motorists are pleased that I'm able keep a reasonable pace in traffic without any significant interference to them. "HEY! That thing does really good!" I've even had motorcyclists pull up beside me on the road in total amazement. "DANG man! Your doin nearly 40 on that!!!

​Among bicyclists and pedestrians, I maintain even greater courtesy. An e-bike is very silent and much quicker than other bikes, and no one likes unexpected surprises that rapidly approach. After politely making others well aware of my approaching presense and intentions, I'll gently and carefully pass by with no effort greater than necessary. And I'll then resume my manner when well clear of others. Again, I've always received positive comments, intrigue, and attitudes.

Now,... I've not yet closely encountered a group of "enthusiasts" who may be involved in an event, or recreation, but IMO, proper courtesy would jus not allow me to interfere or cause any disrespect to others. Besides, they are often at a pace that's comfortable for me to follow,... even if I AM exerting far less effort. And I'll pass safely, respectfully with all due courtesy.

So, maybe it's because I'm "an old man on a bicycle",.... or jus maybe, it's because of the respect, thoughtfulness, and considerations given others AND the environment, REGARDLESS of whether a natural environment, or an urban environment, public or personal.

Comment

I think that for electric bikes being allowed on the same trails as mountain bikes are days are limited as the hobby gains in popularity.

This is a sad thing for guys like me who have been waiting for years for this hobby to get mainstream appeal. Electric bikes on the trails have always been hated by mountain bikers.

In areas like northenr california where mountain bikeing is welll established, electric bikes started being prohibited from trails 5 years ago, way before good mid drives were available to make really great mountain trail climbing devices.

Honestly i can see their argument since an eibke is not really a transportation device when ridden on the single track trails but a recreation device...and is adding to the bike traffic instead of taking from the car traffic.

One good answer for older people or people with mobility issues is to get a handicapped placard. WIth handicapped sticker you can ride an electric bike anywhere no matter where they are prohibited.

The other great answer is to ride ebikes that are super quiet and stealthy looking.... try to leave the triangle battery at home and go with much more discreet sized batteries.

In the video we had to ride fast to make it clear they were electric bikes....but most of the times when we go riding in the luna group we ride much much slower.

If riding on single track its wise to go at a safe and sane speeed.

Even the pedaling guys are guilty of going way too fast on the down hill. Our closest chance to someone getting hurt during the filming of this video is a mountain bike guy blazing past our group at 30 mph on a paved downhill and brushing against one of our parked riders..... he yelled at us as he went by "Get off the road". He did not know we were ebikers when he blazed past.

Comment

Working...
                    X