The truth about bbs02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth about bbs02

So just how unreliable is the bbs02. I realize that it likes to be revved and not bogged down.
    I live in Florida and it is flat here except for the causeway over to beach side. It is also hot here in the summer so what about heat?
    I also have copd so may rely on throttle from time to time.
    Seriously the price of the bbs02 right now is hard to pass on lol. Oh and what about 52 volts on the bbs02?
    Thanks all.

Ps. I have decided against using a battery pack with a bluetooth bms. Decided it is just something else to go wrong so the Luna wolf 52 volt 13.5 ah. GA cell pack looks like it will be the choice. Possibly get a 2nd battery down the road a bit!
    Last edited by Scott S; 09-22-2018, 11:25 AM.

All you need to know is that the motor works off of the effiency of your bike gears. I always say "If it's too hard for your legs to pedal manually from a stop, then it's probably too difficult for the motor" and you should gear the bike down to reduce load off the motor. Just don't put it into 7th or 10th gear and rip up hills carelessly. Think of it kind of like driving a manual car but without a clutch.

If you follow that, the unit should have no issues, really. 52v batteries are perfectly fine.

Comment

Thanks. I do have another bike with bbshd. This build I am trying to save some bucks. This is a pavement only build. So who here has a bbs02 and been using it for a long time without issue. Just a bit paranoid about past posts I have read about the bbs02!

After more research I am back to not settling for a battery pack without a bluetooth bms. The cell monitoring is just to important. Wish Luna would start using them. Also I am pretty much back to just using a bbshd lol but we shall see!
      Last edited by Scott S; 09-22-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I built my BBS02 in 2016. I am with HIGHVOLTAGE. You have to work the gears like your legs are still doing the work. If you lug the motor, something will melt. Anyway, isn't shifting fun? I think so .

Comment

Shifting is fun. I am more worried about extended throttle only even in appropriate gear for those times my copd kicks in bad and just don't want to pedal lol.

Comment

The bbs 02 is called a 750 watt for a reason. That is its continuous ourput capability. Yes, you have more available as peak. But that is occasional. More time at higher watts is possi le at lower ambient temperatures.
            i have over 20000 miles on my two bbs02s. Only problem has been the a version plastic gear with smaller pinion. Easily and cheaply replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8fun View Post
              The bbs 02 is called a 750 watt for a reason. That is its continuous ourput capability. Yes, you have more available as peak. But that is occasional. More time at higher watts is possi le at lower ambient temperatures.
              i have over 20000 miles on my two bbs02s. Only problem has been the a version plastic gear with smaller pinion. Easily and cheaply replaced.
              Thanks. Ambient temp is what concerns me. It is horrible hot in August and September here in Florida. If I went with the bbs02 it would be the b version anyways. Looks like I am sticking with bbshd. Em3ev has a Fab price and I can get it with eggrider display! Not ready to order yet so that could change.

Comment

I had a BBS02 on a tandem trike that was close to 500 pounds loaded, granted, it was lower geared (38 tooth). We had no trouble riding in hot summer months. As long as you don't lug it at slow speed in high gears, it should be just fine. It doesn't really seem to care if you are using throttle only.

Comment

Originally posted by BK Xray View Post
                  I had a BBS02 on a tandem trike that was close to 500 pounds loaded, granted, it was lower geared (38 tooth). We had no trouble riding in hot summer months. As long as you don't lug it at slow speed in high gears, it should be just fine. It doesn't really seem to care if you are using throttle only.
                  Hey thanks. Hmm has me thinking again lol

Comment

Removed comment to spammer who has been removed lol
                    Last edited by Scott S; 10-03-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Mid rives are sometimes oversold. Why anyone on the flats would want one is beyond me. I like my BBSHD, but my MAC is much simpler and is a better choice for flatland but still has some climbing ability. My MXUS hub Direct Drive. PERFECTLY low maintenance for Florida.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
                        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think it depends heavily where you live. I'm in Canada and we have a lot of hills that even put strain on my BBSHD Mid-Drive with a 30T chainring in low gear.

Also, The Bafang Mid-Drives are great because they're so widely available from multiple vendors. Replacement parts and troubleshooting information is widely available vs the MAC motor which is not as easy to diagnose and replace always unless you have fair experience with E-bike motors and controllers already.

That's just my two cents on it. Otherwise the MAC Motor is still a great motor.

• Scoonie
                        Scoonie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Seriously? Mac more complex? That’s quite silly. Notice I did qualify with flat streets.

Originally posted by Scoonie View Post
                      Mid rives are sometimes oversold. Why anyone on the flats would want one is beyond me. I like my BBSHD, but my MAC is much simpler and is a better choice for flatland but still has some climbing ability. My MXUS hub Direct Drive. PERFECTLY low maintenance for Florida.
                      Bike will go to upstate NY with me for a few months every summer. Tons of steep hills lol

Comment

Hills or not, I agree that hub motors are usually ideal for on-road riding. A 12T MAC would probably only get you to about 23-24 mph (with a 52V battery), but it would have no trouble carrying you up any paved hills. They are some torquey sumbitchez. The 16 and 20T could probably pull shrubs out of yer yard.

I sometimes wonder how many e-bikers were cyclists before they started riding electrics. I'm always amazed by how many people talk of 750 continuous watts as being "underpowered." IMO, the BBS02 has enough power for any REASONABLE cycling endeavor. The current mid-drive motors eat up brake pads and shred drivetrains faster than any human could. It's just that DC power is so very addictive! I'm in the process of installing a BBS02 on an old Kona Stab. I haven't even powered it up, and I'm already telling myself that I should've used a BBSHD (which wouldn't have fit in my mounting configuration.) It's impressive how quickly motors have exceeded the limits of all the other available parts. Yet, we heathens keep demanding more power. We're insatiable!

Comment

• BK Xray
                          BK Xray commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, part of the reason I didn't keep using the BBS02 on our tandem was due to wear on drivetrain parts. I had to replace the chains at 1000 miles. This is a big old long trike and it takes 5 chains connected to fit it. The other reason I didn't continue to use it was that tandem shifting can be tricky and the mid-drive made it worse. I'm much happier with my 1000 watt Golden Motor hub.
                      Working...
                      X