Tips for charging lithium battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for charging lithium battery

In the manual it said after your ride immediately plug in the charger. So far the only thing I know about lithium batteries is to keep them in a cool place and that knowledge comes from what I have read about computer batteries.. It did not say what type of lithium battery it was other than it's a 36 V 10 amp hour. It has a 250 V motor. So far has it has exceeded my expectations in speed. I haven't driven it that far yet to know its limits. I have taken on 5 mile rides with no noticeable loss of power.
    Should I have the battery fully charged all the time or let it be drained a little bit after a short ride. Even after those 5 mile rides it only took the charger two hours to bring it back to full charge.

It is a cheap bike but I'm liking it so much so far that I am hoping it will last long enough for me to save up money to get a good one.

I'm sure someone will point you to a knowledge base thread with all the details but general rule-of thumb:

Don't leave a battery unused sitting around at full charge or empty - middle of the road is best when sitting around, say 3.7V/cell

If you charge to 100% ride as soon as practical

If you run it way down charge it as soon as practical

Charge to 100% the first few charges and every n'th charge where n might be ~5-8 (YMMV) depending on how you ride and charge, etc.

Charging to only 80-90% will extend the long-term life of the battery

Comment

Thank you AZ that's exactly what I needed to know. I checked the how to recharge the battery thing and couldn't find the info .
      So my battery has been sitting around with a full charge so oh well darn it , I'm just going to have to go take a bike ride. Luckily I found this out before any real damage could occur I hope, because it's only been a few days.

Comment

Is it okay to juice up a battery that is been partially discharged. Like for instance the battery is down to about the halfway point and you just want to charge it for an hour just to increase your range a little bit but not to full charge.

I see this place is full of experts and people who are into building electric bikes. I'm not like that I just need to know a few simple things and then I'll be out of your hair for a while.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a problem... just make sure every few charges to go to 100% - it balances the cells

I have never read a post complaining about too much battery capacity.

If you frequently need to "top off" your battery, or extend its range by charging an hour or two mid-way; then you should consider more battery capacity as the best solution.

As far as your situation goes, I think sometimes circumstances dictate:

Say you've an appointment at 4pm. In the morning, you go out riding--and having a great time, you neglect to closely monitor your battery-levels.

You stop at a cafe someplace for a late lunch, and suddenly you realize you haven't the juice to get back home again. Plus, there isn't enough time enough left before your appointment for a "full-charge"

Well, you humbly ask the cafe people if you can borrow an outlet for a while, offering them a few bucks for the use of their electricity (too much money--but you gladly offer it because you're not a jerk--and you're trying to keep all the rest of us e-bikers from looking like jerks too).

You have a couple extra cups of coffee, and you charge as much as you can--then, after leaving a decent tip on the table--you head for your home in time to make that appointment.

By charging mid-way, some may argue that you're "wasting" one of your battery's charge/discharge cycles--and I'm not sure, maybe that's true.

But is it going to "kill" or "ruin" your battery in some way--if you sometimes have to do boost your battery's charge part-way? No. I don't think so.

If this were so, it seems regenerative braking would be a tremendous battery killer--every stop burning another charge/discharge cycle.

"Best Charging Practices" are of course what you try to stick to--they'll make everything last longer.

But life sometimes has other things in store. I say, don't panic--do what you need to do. But don't make a habit of it.

Again, if you find this happening frequently, don't worry.

Many, if not most of us, have discovered we didn't buy a big enough battery first-time around. It's very common. Folks often underestimate how much they will use their e-bikes--and it turns out many enjoy riding them much more than they expected. This almost always leads to some form of battery-regret. The "too-small battery club" is a pretty big club!

So, if you too are a member--well, no big deal--just shrug it off, and get right to the solution: Start saving up some cash for either a bigger battery, or so you can add a second one--as a range-extender!

Take care,

Tklop
        Last edited by tklop; 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM. Reason: for clarity

Comment

Originally posted by eat at Joes View Post
          ...It has a 250 V motor...
          You probably mean a 250W motor.

Comment

Thanks again AZ and thank you TK and commuter bikes - I'm completely new to electric bikes but it exceeded my expectations on speed, pickup and range especially for such a cheap bike. I just want to keep it that way for as long as possible without buying a new battery. As little as I know and I do know almost nothing I did know that motors are rated in Watts but it was a mistake whether I knew it or not.

Comment

Working...
            X