Gear sensor. Ya or nay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear sensor. Ya or nay

Ok what do you all think. I do have e-725 brakes with cutoffs. I can easily use the front brake as a clutch for shifting. Also when throttle only the motor stops as soon as you release it so?
    I am not sold on reducing the motor stop time to 5ms from 25ms as this also increases the motor start time when you start to pedal.
    I am just worried the gear sensor will just be another thing To go wrong lol.
    Opinions please!!

Ya - especially if you have an IGH, or are likely to let somebody else ride the bike.

Comment

No IGH here but maybe it would be nice to shift without letting off the throttle lol ?

Am starting to think seriously about an IGH though. 8 speed with disc brake and qr. Will need a chain tensioner I know. Someone who has done it with a bbshd chime in maybe?
      Last edited by Scott S; 10-28-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

"qr" as in quick release? Only the Rohloff has a quick release option. For some notes, see either of my first two builds.

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
          "qr" as in quick release? Only the Rohloff has a quick release option. For some notes, see either of my first two builds.
          Thanks. Ya I found out there is no qr option for the alfine. Think I may just stick with my 8speed derailleur?

Comment

Anyone one else lol

Comment

I can't come up with any reason not to install a gear sensor and plenty of reasons to do so - I'm very happy with the operation of it on my install

I don't worry at all about it from a reliability standpoint - if they fail, 99+% of the time they'll fail "safe" and just not interrupt.... and that's usually cured by opening it up, cleaning and possibly roughing up the cable with some emery cloth... if they were to fail interrupting the motor it would only take a second to unplug it and then you'd be back to failed safe but I've never heard of one failing that way and it;s unlikely anyway...

Comment

I haven't had any maintenance issues with my sensor. I have developed the habit of using the brakes as a clutch, but........if you have a cool ebike someone else is going to want to ride it.

Comment

Working...
                X