No announcement yet.

I am making a 4" wide, 14 gauge mild steel sheet tire liner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son is flying down from Washington today. I will ask him to film the installation of the steel prototype plates. I will need something to get me away from playing with metal.

I have not been terribly excited about installing the heavy steel plates because of their weight (7 pounds including mounting hardware). I find needless extra weight depressing, but I made the steel plates so I will try them.

Making YouTube videos is interesting because when I watch the video it provides an additional perspective. However, my wife may have poisoned the well with her accusations of me being an internet attention whore by posting material on the internet. If she is right, then I am wasting time by posting on the internet.

There is no value in spending valuable time taking pictures and video, editing video and posting these on the internet. I would much rather spend my time doing something rather than blathering on about it. A lot of people are wasting a lot of time posting on the internet for the purpose of bringing attention to themselves.

As for myself, I am going to be on guard against wasting my time being an internet attention whore. If anybody ever thinks that I am doing this, I would appreciate them saying so.

My philosophy is simple: I believe that the only thing that we can control is the choices that we make. Each individual only has two commodities: time and resources. We choose what we want to accomplish using these limited commodities.

We can choose to have fun, travel, be a family person, get rich, get educated, invent something, please God, become famous, help the world, etc. I have often chose "having fun"--I like to play. I also like imagination and creativity. I will spend a lot of time thinking about a project, as well as being willing to spend money on tools and materials. Research and education is in there, too. Throw in "willingness to fail" and "being able to laugh at yourself", and it makes for an interesting time.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 1 week ago.

Comment

• AZguy
      AZguy commented
      Editing a comment
      It may be the way of the future and if so I will forever be a dinosaur

I passionately despise wasting my time trying to get through a video when I could get the information I need in written form >10x more quickly... Couple that with my very short attention span (what were we talking about? =] ), especially for video vs. sitting and reading for hours...

I also think it's the epitome of laziness when manufacturers won't spend the time to properly document and instead waste it making videos...

Damn kids these days! Get off my lawn!

Better go kick my soapbox back under the table....

• xcnick
      xcnick commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't question yourself. Indulge, then decide. I found my balance. There is a local bunch I can pay with drones etc. if I want more. What I really need is dumb kids who idolize red bull so much they are willing to risk their life for money and fame. I tried to talk to the camera and that cured it for me. I sound worse than the electricspirit guy.

• xcnick
      xcnick commented
      Editing a comment
      I am wondering how you get it more quickly? I use youtube how to's because that is where search takes me the easiest. Proper documentation is pages down.

So many people worry about the quantity of time. Quality counts for something too. The definition of quality can vary quite a bit.

Comment

• xcnick
      xcnick commented
      Editing a comment
      Good you see that is pretty much what this thread is about, or at least how much it can vary. When we are done, therapy for everyone!

I just went and spent the last of all the money that we had on materials for this project. We are now broke for a few months.

The good news is that I have all the materials necessary to test steel and titanium tire armor plates.

I just picked up my son from the airport, and we are (finally!) starting to install the steel plates now while filming it all.

Comment

To back you up a bit about online time:. I don't see project posting as a vice or bad habit, that's for sure. For me, and for many, I think, sharing my projects with others is a critical motivator. What's the fun, if I don't get to show anybody, or learn from anybody, or inspire someone a little bit?

" Internet sharing" a project with tech discussion is valuable and not a waste of time. If you had friends in the shop, live, you'd do the same thing. What does the method of sharing have to do with it? It's still community interaction.

This grassroots stuff can't happen, solo. Sharing makes it possible, and worthwhile!

Sure, we need interaction, and appreciation, and are motivated by same. That's not an evil vice, it's being a person. It's good for the Ego, it spreads ideas, stuff gets built, friends are made.....all good stuff.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
        commuter ebikes commented
        Editing a comment
        I was definitely posting stuff because I found it interesting. I love geeking out on stuff.

The plates went in straight, fast and easy. It takes seven minutes to put in each plate.

Comment

First part of tire plate installation video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPOUHzE69Ns

Comment

• JPLabs
          JPLabs commented
          Editing a comment
          I checked that one out. Not brief or exciting, but for anybody wanting to try this later, I'm sure it would be appreciated and useful. It was interesting to skip through, just to get insight to the build and shop, and frankly hearing you narrate was pretty interesting to 'meet' the real person behind the posts, so thanks!

Please record the sound of this when you test it. Just in case it's a one shot deal. My guess is those plates will separate and come back together across the bottom.

Comment

• JPLabs
          JPLabs commented
          Editing a comment
          If so, version 9.0 should tune each plate to play a melody as they roll!

My son and I made two more videos on the weekend:

First time welding on aluminum (3/4" plate): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ09Ogu8tCQ&t=3s and
        First time welding on titanium (.050" sheet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrk2dvX4t4

Both videos are really long. After filming these videos, I ended up in the emergency room at 2 AM with terrible arc eye! I thought that what I was doing with the camera was okay, but that was definitely not the case. All of that peripheral exposure to the arc had it to where I couldn't even open my eyes. My wife had to drive and walk me in to the hospital. Here is a picture taken at the hospital:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5427.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	82674
        Having arc eye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photokeratitis feels like a really bad sunburn on your eyeballs.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          It *is* a really bad sunburn (ok UV burn) on your eyeballs - those arcs are very strong UV sources, both short and long (and soft x-rays!) and you should avoid even the reflections although you likely got the lecture from the medical guys

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          The emergency room doctor gave me a stern lecture.

I never looked directly at the arc, obviously. All of the damage was sustained from indirect & peripheral exposure.

Sorry to hear this! I'm pretty sure I have gotten a sunburn under my chin from the light reflected off a white t-shirt! And maybe some from the table....but it's 'rust blued' steel so not exactly reflective. Flat brown color. I did that because my old bare steel reflected too much arc light. Flat dark color table helped a lot with eye strain. And, I have a good mask.

Aluminum seems to be the worst. Welding a mirror at high current - and I only do up to 3/16, so far. I can't imagine the blinding light from 3/4" AL!!
        Last edited by JPLabs; 1 week ago.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

So I finally installed and tested the plates. Surprisingly, the kinetic wheel balance was not a problem.

I had thought that it was a foregone conclusion that the kinetic wheel imbalance would end the project. I had been dreading the installation and test ride because of this. So I was very surprised that it was a non-issue.

Also surprisingly, the issue that I did encounter was that the electrical system was calling for more current than my battery was able to deliver. This is due to the 8 pounds of added weight in the wheel.

Specifically, I had the current limited to 23A for the test ride. Using the throttle to accelerate caused the circuit breaker in the BMS to trip. So a more robust battery would solve that problem.

I am starting to make the titanium plates (which are 40% lighter), so that would also help solve the problem.

Actually, my battery was only 85% charged when I did the test ride. I am putting a full charge on the battery now, and I will dial down the maximum current to see what the electrical system can do with these heavy tire plates and the mediocre battery.

Comment

• xcnick
            xcnick commented
            Editing a comment
            "surprised it was a non issue" This is why I like to see these projects through.

New thought on this....I've seen people spray Solo Cups with bedliner and make them pretty much indestructible...What about lining the inside of a tire with it?

Comment

So I put the ebike in the rack to see how it would perform with no load on it. I weigh about 250 pounds now, so that is something to consider. The bike did wonderfully on the rack, the speedo said 66 mph, but it only required 600W to get there. I was glad to see that the circuit breaker did not trip when the bike was up on the rack.

I don’t know why it is tripping so easily because of the 8 pounds of added weight in the circumference of the wheel. After I recharged the battery completely, I limited the maximum current to 13A, and it still tripped the circuit breaker when I tried to accelerate very slowly!

This is definitely a mystery to me. It would appear that adding the 8 pounds of weight to the tire caused the bike to act the same as if I had attached a 500 pound trailer!

I’m actually glad to have this problem rather than a problem with the kinetic wheel balance. When the bike was up on the rack with the speedo reading 66 mph, the wheel balance was darned near perfect.

Also, a few people have worried about the plates moving around or maybe even coming detached upon use. The 19 psi pressure makes for a very hard tire, and the plates are very secure in there with the two bolts per plate. The plates aren’t moving at all. So there is not a problem there.

Looking at the evidence from the test ride, it would appear that my battery cannot deliver enough current to get that much weight moving as quickly as I am calling for with my throttle usage.
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 3 days ago.

Comment

I got some information from my friend Dan (Gr8Fun on this forum).

He pointed out that it is not the circuit breaker in the BMS that is tripping. Rather, it is the LVC in my Cycle Analyst that is tripping. The LVC in my Cycle Analyst is currently set to 65V. The LVC in my controller is set to 56V.

Comment

Maybe a lower gear ratio is in order? or is it a hub drive? I forget. I doubt you want to be going 66MPH on this setup. Now you need to make some ballistic fenders to catch the shrapnel. Glad to hear it's working. though.

Comment

And as everybody knows, adding weight at the (near) outer circumference of the wheel is the absolute worst place to add weight to a vehicle, not only for getting the vehicle moving, but for braking forces required.

Of course, if I were looking for “momentum while in motion”, this would be great. Also, it is a regenerative braking goldmine (I noticed this immediately on the test ride).

However, science has the final word and Physics dictates that high reciprocating mass requires a lot of power. I think this is what I’m seeing when my LVC cuts off due to the extreme voltage sag resulting from the increased weight in the wheel.
                  Last edited by commuter ebikes; 3 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X