Safety of Front Hub eBikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety of Front Hub eBikes

I read mixed experiences from using front hub ebikes. The safety concern seems to stem from making turns with a front hub ebike while the motor is engaged. Are the concerns valid or is it exaggerated? I have a rear hub bike and am thinking of adding a front hub iMotor to help me with my hills (sustained 5 degree over 4 miles with 12 degree at several points). Having the additional 250 watt will really help and I am planning on using it mainly on straight sections.

My first ebike kit was Bafang 500w front hub motor which I had mounted on a couple different bikes. I put about 3500 miles on the first one as a throttle only setup, and feel lucky I never wiped out...sandy surfaces were pretty scary. On the second bike I tried using just PAS and that took away some of the traction issues. I’d say as a second driving wheel the front hub motor should be pretty tractable if you keep it on PAS.

Comment

I have a 250W front hub motor (20A controller, 36V). It has slipped on gravel going uphill from a start, but nothing that would put the bike down. I don't ride it in cold weather. Ice is bad enough on a regular bike, in my opinion.

After you do it, you'll probably post back that it's not a big traction problem at all.

Comment

My first ebike had a 250W front hub motor. It was never a safety hazard in any way.

Comment

I have a 1000 watt front hub and a 1000 watt rear hub. I can say that the rear hub handles much better. The front hub tends to pull you out of a turn when throttle is applied. I don't see this as a real safety issue. Just something you need to get used to. Also, I routinely inspect my steering tube for developing cracks. None yet.
          Robert

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have a 500 watt rear hub PAS, but it is still struggling to go up my hill. I'll pick up a front hub 250 watt and use it as throttle assist for the hill section. I am looking for exercise, but want to avoid pushing my bike up the hill.

Comment

Is there conceivably an issue? Sure.. Is it a major consideration if you take even small precautions? No. I run my front hub all over the place. Don't give it full power in gravel or wet grass and you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X