Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking recommendations for a double leg kick stand or better...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking recommendations for a double leg kick stand or better...?

Good morning everyone!

My Huffy old style single leg kickstand is simply not up to the task of reliably keeping my heavy Ebike standing upright. The small footprint digs and sinks into anything except concrete. And the housing is easily bent allowing precarious angles closer to disaster. So before that happens, does anyone have an end user recommendation for a good replacement?

I like the idea of a double leg type such as the one seen here...

https://www.amazon.com/Lumintrail-Ce...gateway&sr=8-5

As it would allow the rear wheel to spin (rear hub motor) if needed.

But my mind is wide open to suggestions. Feel free to pass along your experiences. Makes and models appreciated.

Best regards,
    T.C.
    See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

I've used the BV 2 legged center stand on both my bikes. Officially it's not for e bikes, and I did break one trying to use it as a workstand for BB removal. But as a kickstand it works just fine.
    Both legs fold to the left so no chain issues. Since it holds the bike upright the load is centered and it does work on grass.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/BV-Bicycle-Bl...5037797&chn=ps
    On the Gary Fisher Solstice BBSHD it just bolted on, on the Trek navigator TSDZ2 bike I had to shrink the motor torque mounting, and swing the motor forward to get it in there.
    Rear wheel up, and cranks rotate 100%. Great for shift cable adjustments and chain lubing.
    Here are my threads. Photos in there somewhere.
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-tsdz2-project
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-bbshd-project
    The adjustable leg extensions are plastic. It can hold the bike up but don't think you're going to sit on the raised bike and make test runs. There is an all metal Swiss LH folding center stand but I couldn't get my hands on a 26" wersion.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 04-08-2019, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Thank you Retrorocket for the excellent write-up and links! Hadn't even seen that one side fold up type. Looks a bit awkward down. Does it easily fold up and back down? Just a heads up. In your build threads you have several small black x boxes serving as place cards for pictures that can't be seen.

No, will not be sitting on it when testing. Forgot to mention 26.5 inch wheel regular road bike.

Regards,
      T.C.

Comment

In AZ we deal with parking on soft sand, deep gravel and uber-hot asphalt that for moto weights conventional side stands will sink in after 15-45min (literally sink in inches until the moto falls over) - from my moto days I long ago began welding or otherwise attaching much larger pads to the end of the side stand and that takes care of it. Before that I used to take an empty can (beer) and stick it right on top of my tank bag and toss it on the ground to put the side stand on which works well - it's very inexpensive depending on the brand of beer, no one is interested in stealing the old can and if you forget it or lose it, then just empty a can of beer and voila - new stand pad....

On my present ebike I took the ridiculous rubber pad off the aftermarket side stand and threaded on a very large flanged nut that gives it about 30-40mm Ø foot print and no worries even in all that soft stuff...

I much prefer a side stand for day-to-day and while I've had motos with center stand they also had side stands and if I have to choose one or the other the side stand wins since it can be easily deployed (and retrieved) while on the bike
        Last edited by AZguy; 04-09-2019, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I would prefer a side stand for day-to-day..

Comment

Originally posted by Tommycat View Post
            Thank you Retrorocket for the excellent write-up and links! Hadn't even seen that one side fold up type. Looks a bit awkward down. Does it easily fold up and back down? Just a heads up. In your build threads you have several small black x boxes serving as place cards for pictures that can't be seen.

No, will not be sitting on it when testing. Forgot to mention 26.5 inch wheel regular road bike.

Regards,
            T.C.
            The black boxes instead of photos is where I posted photos of my custom chainring. I guess they get deleted because Luna may want to sell those some day.
            The stand does fold up to the left side, and it does have a little front rear offset when down. When you push the left leg back the right one folds across then up beneath it. A bare E bike is probably about all it can handle. I wouldn't use it for a loaded touring or cargo bike. But it's an interesting option.

Comment

Yes, side stand is very easy to use. AZguy you mentioned an aftermarket one. As the poor Huffy's is woefully under sized, what kind did you get?

Still would like to get the rear wheel off the ground tho for testing and adjustments... but one of each. :-0 Maybe RR's is the best of both worlds. hummmmm.

Comment

RetroRocket, this must be the Swiss one you mentioned a Pletscher double-legged bicycle kickstand.

Does the BV2 fold up as automatically as the Pletscher? I like that. If I could just get over the somewhat funky deployed look.

Edit: Found a good link on it, good price too. :-) answers most questions But not for Ebike use...??? How many times have you heard that?.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNLXML4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                Last edited by Tommycat; 04-11-2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

As an old guy missing a bit of leg, bending over to do much chain maintenance beyond a quick lube isn't attractive and frankly, doing derailleur adjustments are *much* better to do on a work stand Click image for larger version  Name:	nod.gif Views:	2 Size:	990 Bytes ID:	85253

A quick chain lube is easy to do on a side stand - I just drip some on the lower line, tip the bike on the side stand enough to rotate the rear wheel and get the next stretch of chain, drip again, repeat

The side stand I use is a greenfield but the pad was useless within a week or two and I had to put the large flanged nut on there to make it work well - if you want the specific one let me know and I'll look it up

Someone on the board here ( xcnick ?) pointed me to one they used and thought was better: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Tommycat
                    Tommycat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you AZguy! Great link. Really like that 2 point attachment, but wondering if it's too far back, what with a bottle battery for balance. A regular maintenance/work stand would be nice!

Mine is in the same place and it works fantastic

Even with heavy pannier just on that side and two batteries, one on dowwn tube and the other up high on the rear rack, no problems

Picture's not that clear but hopefully helps

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-FhqRGtC-X2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	573.4 KB ID:	85256

Comment

• Tommycat
                    Tommycat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, I'd say that picture proves your point very well. Thank you.

• AZguy
                    AZguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ~5000mi and hasn't fallen over yet

Will likely fall over on tonight's ride just to teach me a lesson

• Tommycat
                    Tommycat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol, careful! BTW... Where's the fishing pole?

While not a double kickstand we designed a stand specifically for ebike use. We needed something that would not mount near the bottom bracket, or would potentially drop down from ebike speeds and often much more hardcore use than a regular bicycle. We came up with the removable peg leg. Mounts to the rear dropout, both qr and thru axle, and uses a magnetic mount solution. Made with a tough aluminum rod that will stand up to lots of weight, hardened steel for the tab, and a heavy duty rubber foot. Detaches by pulling on it so it won't drop down while riding and potentially cause an accident.

https://i.redd.it/gdp9i8zfuxq21.jpg

Comment

• Tommycat
                    Tommycat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Pax,
                    Thanks for chiming in. But I'm afraid that it would not suit my mission well. I am beginning to see a pattern though… Thudbusters?

• AZguy
                    AZguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Careful! Everyone I know that's done a quality suspension post won't ever go back =]

• Retrorockit
                    Retrorockit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There seems to be something unusual about the installation of the fork.

Yes the Plescher is the all metal one. The stand just folds automatically the same as a LH side stand. The RH side follows the LH one into position.I ordered a Plescher but they sent a 29" one twice. The BV has adjustable leg ends. But they're plastic. Clears my Schwalbe Big Apple Plus 26x2.15 tires by about an inch when folding. The BV plastic end has a wider foot on the bottom.
                  On both my mid drive E bikes the rear tire is off the ground and the cranks turn, so maintainance, chain drops, whatever are easy to deal with. Both hands free to work.
                  I guess I was suppposed to cut the Plescher. It wasn't clear. Maybe it was in German? $50 for the good one,$20 for maybe good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
                    $50 for the good one,$20 for maybe good enough?
                    Lol, man you speak my language! SOLD. Just going to double check the height requirements and get it on order.

Thank you to all participants in this thread and a special shout out to Retro! I'll post back with final install... :-)

Best regards,
                    T.C.

Comment

Here is the install as promised...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...5585#post85585

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                        While not a double kickstand we designed a stand specifically for ebike use. We needed something that would not mount near the bottom bracket, or would potentially drop down from ebike speeds and often much more hardcore use than a regular bicycle. We came up with the removable peg leg. Mounts to the rear dropout, both qr and thru axle, and uses a magnetic mount solution. Made with a tough aluminum rod that will stand up to lots of weight, hardened steel for the tab, and a heavy duty rubber foot. Detaches by pulling on it so it won't drop down while riding and potentially cause an accident.

https://i.redd.it/gdp9i8zfuxq21.jpg
                        This one looks amazing.

Comment

Working...
                        X