Metal compatability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal compatability

Will there be any problem with metal compatibility of a Bafang BBSHD mounted in the bottom bracket of my aluminum frame bike?

Oldguy

While galvanic corrosion can occur between steel and aluminum, the parts you replace we're also steel. So are bearings in hubs, bolts, etc. Long term, sure, that will eventually corrode. But not a unique situation because of the kit. Just, a trade off with aluminum frames in general.

Then again, they don't rust. So corrosion life benefits exist with aluminum frames, too.

At 3 years I see no such corrosion. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I work in aviation industry and got my hands on some dissimilar metals grease. Bloody expensive and told that silicon grease is probably just as good if not better. Like JPlabs, no corrosion issues whatsoever.

Comment

It's worth considereing. The grease is a good solution. It keeps water and air out, and separates the 2 metals. When Aluminum corrodes it gets bigger which locks up the threads something fierce. Aluminum oxide is also very hard and very abrasive. It can require destructive techniques to separate part that have corroded together. Especially if salt is involved. I've spent a couple hours removing each steel bolt in an aluminum housings to avoid breaking them off in an engine block.

Comment

silicon grease is probably just as good if not better. Like JPlabs, no corrosion issues whatsoever.

Comment

• JPLabs
            JPLabs commented
            Editing a comment
            I just use antisieze for bolts, I think silicone grease for the install is a good idea!
        Working...
        X