Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I have a BBSHD with a large 48V batttery. I;ve seen 35mph, and i've seen 40 mile range. But one does exclude the other. You need to understand that power required squares with speed. What this means in real life is that if the power provided by the rider is a limited constant value, then all of the power for an increase in speed must come rom the battery. So if you can ride 25mph constantly ( which is not actually realistic for the average rider) A 20% insrease in speed from 25 to 30mph would requires 44% more total power. All of it from the battery. 1.20X1.20=1.44. If the rider can provide power for 20mph ( more realistic due to weight and size of an E bike) then an increase to 25mph would be 1.25x1.25= 1.56 or 56% more power, but 44% less total than the previous example. Range extends considerably when you limit acceleration, and odn't use power at lower speeds where it isn't needed. I use PAS 0 when riding in parks and around pedestrians or on side streets at 12mph. Range becomes almost a non issue for me, and I can do an occasional hard acceleration form a stop light, or a 30mph blast to keep up with traffic by only using the battery when needed including hills and headwinds. The area where I live is extremely flat. In hilly terrain the energy recovery going downhill allowed by a hub motor may be a useful option that mid drives don't provide.

Leave a comment:

• violetevergarden
    replied
    Originally posted by Defjr333 View Post
    I have a BBSHD with 52v 12.5ah pack with Panasonic 25R cells. If I just use full throttle from full charge to dead, I can get anywhere from 20 to 35 miles. If I use PAS (pedal assist) I can get anywhere from 25 to 60 miles depending on PAS level (1 through 9). If I use a combination of PAS and all human power(downhills) I can get close to 100 miles Mathway. Those figures ALL change based on Battery size, Terrain, Speed, Wind resistance, Weight of me and of bike, and many other factors. Speed also varies. I have gotten mine to 48MPH on a slight downhill with full throttle, but on a perfectly flat road, 40mph is about it. myanimelist Uphill is totally dependent on the angle and height of the hill as well as bike and rider weight and other variables. Any shop that lists a speed is questionable in my opinion. Just using a different chain, or tire, or chain ring, or cog will change your top speed. MANY factors decide what the range and speed are capable of birthday wishes. I would look at building what you need, yourself and source the parts according to your needs. If you need 80 amp BMS or just 50 amp? That is how my new build came about. I liked my first build, but this one is fine tuned for ME, not anyone else.
    you inspired me to start experimenting and finding the limits, until now i thought full charge and and muscle power only affected my speed during the race.
    Last edited by violetevergarden; 05-07-2019, 01:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tklop
    replied
    Frontal-area, air-density (which is tempertature, altitude and humidity dependent), speed, rolling-resistance (which is dependent upon tire type and inflation, as well as the weight of rider and the bike itself), terrain, wind-speed, the amount of energy the rider is (or isn't) willing to contribute with his or her leg-power...

These variables all affect an e-bike's range--and there are certainly many other factors as well...

When one of the big e-bike makers calculates the estimated range for their products, they'll typically use ideal figures for each of these many variables, resulting in an unrealistically inflated estimate of their e-bike's range. All the big manufacturers do this, so if one company were to use more honest numbers, their range-estimates would look so small in comparison to the others; that their honesty would likely cause their sales to plummet. Simply put, this is a situation which isn't likely to change.

Obviously, for customers, this isn't so helpful. To even come close to most manufacturers' estimates of range, you'd almost certainly have to ride indoors at a velodrome. You'd need to find a strong, feather-weight rider, who could pedal hard, in the lowest assist-level, with zero cargo, and rock-hard road-tires, etc., for the whole duration of the charge. Since none of us will likely use an e-bike under those conditions, it's unlikely we'll ever approach the overblown manufacturers' estimates in terms of range.

Taking all this into account, I personally feel that Luna Cycle is being more honest--by choosing not to include any range estimates.

I think it's generally a good idea to just choose the bigger battery. Don't skimp on it. For a conversion-project (existing bike), 2/3 of your project-costs should go to the battery. For a custom-build (everything new), plan to dedicate at least 1/3 to 1/2 of your total costs to the battery. If you do, you'll likely be perfectly happy with your project's available range. Of course needs vary--but as a minimum-standard, I feel this is a decent estimate.

Anyways...

Best of luck with your projects, everybody--and take care!
    Last edited by tklop; 05-05-2019, 01:53 AM. Reason: for clarity

Leave a comment:

• BK Xray
    replied
    You need to take manufacturers claims of range and speed with a good bit of skepticism. E-bikes rarely get the claimed range. There are too many variables to give a definite range. Rider weight, speed ridden, how often you stop and start, and whether you are riding hilly areas or flat, all make a huge difference.

Leave a comment:

• Defjr333
    replied
    I have a BBSHD with 52v 12.5ah pack with Panasonic 25R cells. If I just use full throttle from full charge to dead, I can get anywhere from 20 to 35 miles. If I use PAS (pedal assist) I can get anywhere from 25 to 60 miles depending on PAS level (1 through 9). If I use a combination of PAS and all human power(downhills) I can get close to 100 miles. Those figures ALL change based on Battery size, Terrain, Speed, Wind resistance, Weight of me and of bike, and many other factors. Speed also varies. I have gotten mine to 48MPH on a slight downhill with full throttle, but on a perfectly flat road, 40mph is about it. Uphill is totally dependent on the angle and height of the hill as well as bike and rider weight and other variables. Any shop that lists a speed is questionable in my opinion. Just using a different chain, or tire, or chain ring, or cog will change your top speed. MANY factors decide what the range and speed are capable of. I would look at building what you need, yourself and source the parts according to your needs. If you need 80 amp BMS or just 50 amp? That is how my new build came about. I liked my first build, but this one is fine tuned for ME, not anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• 2020david
    replied
    That is a vaug question, what speed do you want to go? Some 12mph others 60+mph most states anything over 30 you need a DL. So look at 250-500-750- or 1000w. The there are mid-drive wheel hub motors and other choices. Also depending on the weight of the bike, the ridder and battery, will effect top speed and distance, also where you live flate area mountains or very hilly area come in to play on how far your battery will go. Say you live in the city mostley flat a 250 or 500w bike would be fine,. This may help also
    https://www.electricbike.com/watt-hours/

Leave a comment:

• What is max speed and max distance for Electric bike

Hello! I would like to buy electric bike, but in lot of web sites, there is not description about the maximum speed and max distance what you can ride with 1 charge.

In Latvia is shop https://e-ride.lv/ there is very important description, max speed and max distance, weight but in www.lunacycle.com there is no decription about max speed and distance. It is very important to know what is max distance what you can drive with 1 charge. And of course maximum speed also we should know.

As you can see in description is easy to see what is max speed and distance https://e-ride.lv/products

So I have question, do anybody know what is max speed and max distance for bikes like

1. Luna Apex https://lunacycle.com/luna-apex/ ,
    2 .Luna Cycle Apollo https://lunacycle.com/luna-cycle-Apollo/
    3. Luna Lone Wolf Roam Ebike https://lunacycle.com/luna-lone-wolf-roam-ebike/

Working...
X