Help on deciding on a new chainring.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on deciding on a new chainring.

Hi everyone, just hit the 100 mile mark on my BBSHD build. Loving every minute of it! Anyway, I have the stock BBSHD chainring and get the occasional drop. My chainline is pretty darn straight as it stands. I have been looking at the Lekkie and can't decide between the 42t and 46t. My mountain bike is an 8 speed. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

42T would be my guess. If you are mainly off roading it. 30T even better! Hard to over rev these motors, easier to lug them down! You sound like a new e biker? Just get used to buying things you may not use, or use for a while before you find a better way, that's how it's been for me anyway. Not a bad thing, but your needs and desires may change, and you may build a second bike at some point, or a third, etc. It's nice to have a stash of parts, and allows you to really get what you want, nothing like first hand experience.

Comment

I agree with CPG. Start off with the 42 Lekkie or the 42 Luna Eclipse. Some answered questions could also provide more helpful responses.

1. Do you do ANY off road, trail riding?
      2. What is the tooth range of your rear cassette?
      3. What is wheel size of your bike?

I converted a Giant Trance full suspension MTB with 26" wheels. Also replaced the 9-speed 11-34 cassette with an all steel 8-speed 11-40 cassette from Sunrace. Front chainring is Lekkie 42. This setup is incredibly reliable. I have been able to billy goat up any hill without straining the motor and still run at 32-33 mph on the flats.

Also, for added security against chain drops I use this Origin 8 chain guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZTLV9W...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Comment

Hi all, and thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm very new at this stuff and I'm glad I got into it. To answer those questions, rear cassette is 8-speed 11-32 and wheel size is 27.5. I'm mostly doing roads and paved trails. The fastest I've had it up to on the flats is 32mph.

Comment

Another option is to get the 130bcd adapter and then use narrow-wide chain rings... You can go as low as 38t although that might take some modding... 40t and up work great though and if you aren't sure standard 13bcd chain rings are inexpensive

Comment

Working...
          X