Battery installation on down tube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery installation on down tube

I don't want to drill into the frame, so I thought these options might work instead. Simply screw the battery cradle to either of these. Thoughts??

The first, clamp-on one looks feasible - but where, around the seat tube? Actually, the second one would be easier to use, again around the seat tube secured with those huge and strong HVAC nylon straps or maybe SS hose clamps - if there's room.
    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

I used some clamps like that for a water bottle cage... word of warning - the clamps are made fro very specific tube OD's and have pretty much zero to no range with that so you need them to be spot on to the tube diameter

Comment

I've long used good quality stainless hose clamps for all kinds of clamping/securing purposes, on my various kitplanes and now also on my ebikes. They don't seem to come loose, are strong, cheap, and readily available. My 6 AH battery rack on my vert tube on my Montague is held in place with hose clamps, as one example, and my belly pod on the plane which holds my batteries is also secured with large diameter clamps. Those store bought brackets are slick, but like AZ says HAVE to be sized correctly. Hose clamping something may look half assed and makeshift, but they often are the simplest, strongest, and cheapest way to clamp something. Just put some tape first on your frame.

Comment

I just ordered these from Axia Alloy - 8mm thread. I like the wider bracket platform for more stability. I agree, the size needs to be pretty much perfect, so I’ll return them if they don’t work. I like the hose clamp idea, just not the look. Maybe some black heat shrink could fix that.

Comment

You can find black oxide hose clamps

Comment

Found this fork mount at CleavelandMountaineering.com. Probably another good option for the down tube.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Nice piece of work.....

Just bought one.
                Last edited by CPG; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Another option that allows a lot of flexibility is the Bottle Bob from Grin: https://www.electrifybike.com/store/...rackets.html#/

Comment

For 20 bucks, I thought the Cleaveland thing was a pretty good deal, I'm a sucker for anything CNC'd out of billet, which it appears to be? Bar stock anyway. He includes the 3 stainless clamps also.

Comment

Done! Everything works great.

Comment

• BK Xray
                        BK Xray commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you put pieces of black heat shrink tubing over your hose clamps they would blend in to your frame tube.

And plenty of room left over, for a frame bag or an extra battery, NIce. Your ride needs more handlebar though.

Comment

• Deadbirds
                        Deadbirds commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha! Love those ape hangers! Any suggestions for waterproofing? I plan on using silicone, dielectric grease, etc. for some of the obvious parts, but wondering about a battery and motor cover if I get caught in heavy rain? Probably just using velcro straps with plastic bags might be easiest.
                    Working...
                    X