750C display fogging up fix with images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750C display fogging up fix with images

Go down a few threads to see what I did to my 750C unit.

Last edited by EL34; 07-20-2019, 10:14 AM.

Yessir, Paxtana has a post on that:

How to open display if moisture develops

EDIT: Link seems to have temporarily stopped working, but it did work when I searched and copied it. Wait and try again if it won't work for you, I guess. It's in the '750C Display Documentation' thread, post 14, I think...
    Last edited by JPLabs; 07-20-2019, 08:11 AM.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
      Yessir, Paxtana has a post on that:

How to open display if moisture develops

EDIT: Link seems to have temporarily stopped working, but it did work when I searched and copied it. Wait and try again if it won't work for you, I guess. It's in the '750C Display Documentation' thread, post 14, I think...
      Ahh, thanks
      The link works for me
      I happen to have those tools because I have taken apart my Samsung tablet to replace the battery and USB port

Comment

I'll add my fix here so it does not get buried in the 750C display thread.

I got tired of constant fogging. It's not a problem in dry weather, but it's summer here and very humid.
        So I took my 750C apart to see if I could seal it better.
        The first thing I looked at was the rubber gasket channel. But how can I seal that better?
        The other thing I noticed is that the clear plastic window piece is not sealed very well.
        I was able to pry it up gently on the ends and noticed it was not glued down and sealed all the way around.

RTV silicone is a good choice
        But how to lay down such a tiny bead so as not to make a huge blob mess inside the unit?

Solution was to take a small syringe that you can get at Tractor supply.
        Then I cut the needle way shorter and at an angle with a dremel tool cut off disc.

First, I dried the unit out in a dry Air conditioned space and blew some gentle warm air into it with a heat gun.

I added some black RTV silicone to the syringe and pushed the plunger to test the flow rate and bead size.
        It was a very tiny bead and the perfect size.
        I laid down a tiny bead all the way around the rubber gasket channel.
        Then I laid a tiny bead around the inside of the clear plastic window.
        I screwed the unit back together and could feel the silicone compressing as I tightened the screws all the way.

And while I had it apart, I buffed out the outside clear windows on a soft buffing wheel to remove all the small scratches

It's too early to tell if this fix will solve the fogging issue.
        I will report back after taking it out for a ride in the super humid air.

Here's some pics of what I did

Comment

• JPLabs
          JPLabs commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work

So far so good.
        Took the bike out for quickie ride and the screen is fog free
        The humidity is About 70%, so not as bad as it has been
        Will know more after a longer ride on a hot humid day
        But I like it so far :)

Comment

Update: The display was perfect today. Did a 21 miles off road ride in very humid conditions. Looks like the silicone sealing did the trick

Comment

Great!

Filling it with air of low absolute humidity, using AC and a heat gun, was very smart. No help sealing it, if the dewpoint of the air inside is still above your lowest operating temperature. Even perfectly sealed, it would still fog.

Nice job avoiding that!

The other option would be to fit some desiccant inside. Doesn't look possible.

Anybody reading this, the drying before sealing is critical!

Good thread
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks.
              I had it in my shop in AC for a few hours before sealing it back up.
              The heat gun on low was just making sure all the air inside the unit was dry.

There might be room for a tiny bit of desiccant beads around the edges of the board.
              Mine is sealed tight now, so I hope I don't have to open it up again
              Last edited by EL34; 07-24-2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X