Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by EL34 View Post
    I didn't think Luna made small X1's?
    I have wanted to recommend X1's to some lady friends but couldn't because there were never any small's on the web site
    Yep, actually Small is all they have online right now. There was a medium for a few hours yesterday but only Smalls at the moment.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Desmodromic View Post

      Yep, actually Small is all they have online right now. There was a medium for a few hours yesterday but only Smalls at the moment.
      I must have looked every time they were out of small's

      Comment


        Hey EL34,
        I am looking at this wheelset (40x30) on Aliexpress, and it is listed as clincher type.
        I like the rim because it is one of the few 40mm wide rims listed, and navigating the aliexpress website is proving unintuitive for me. After all, I have yet to figure out how to search for only 27.5 or 650B. It only filters by boost or non-boost. Maybe you know how to navigate it better and have pointers?
        Ideally, I would like to build up 41mm (external width/35mm internal width) rims on gray Koozer hubs with 72POE.
        In your opinion, does the finish of the rim mean anything? UD vs 3K vs 12K

        Comment


          Originally posted by mw195 View Post
          Hey EL34,
          I am looking at this wheelset (40x30) on Aliexpress, and it is listed as clincher type.
          I like the rim because it is one of the few 40mm wide rims listed, and navigating the aliexpress website is proving unintuitive for me. After all, I have yet to figure out how to search for only 27.5 or 650B. It only filters by boost or non-boost. Maybe you know how to navigate it better and have pointers?
          Ideally, I would like to build up 41mm (external width/35mm internal width) rims on gray Koozer hubs with 72POE.
          In your opinion, does the finish of the rim mean anything? UD vs 3K vs 12K
          I don't have any better way to navigate Ali Express
          It just takes time to sort through searches
          One wheel set you look at may lead to another link at the page bottom

          I don't remember all the finish codes
          I am guessing that you can find those codes on a google search?
          I always get matte black carbon parts

          Comment


            thanks for responding.
            I was under the impression that it was pretty easy to custom order wheels...meaning for example, if you have the wheels in mind, and the hubs have different color options, that you could opt for a different color etc. I believe that you did something similar with the spokes..
            Anyway, I am trying another tact...finding hubs that I like, and then asking if they could build up rims. Another option is to try and find other shops that sell complete rims and see if they can make small changes.
            Or course, all of this is moot at this point as I have not received any notice that the X1 has landed at Luna yet, putting into doubt the early August delivery that they had on their site.
            Again, thanks for being so helpful. It is much appreciated.

            Comment


              Originally posted by mw195 View Post
              thanks for responding.
              I was under the impression that it was pretty easy to custom order wheels...meaning for example, if you have the wheels in mind, and the hubs have different color options, that you could opt for a different color etc. I believe that you did something similar with the spokes..
              Anyway, I am trying another tact...finding hubs that I like, and then asking if they could build up rims. Another option is to try and find other shops that sell complete rims and see if they can make small changes.
              Or course, all of this is moot at this point as I have not received any notice that the X1 has landed at Luna yet, putting into doubt the early August delivery that they had on their site.
              Again, thanks for being so helpful. It is much appreciated.
              I have ordered 4 wheel sets in the past from China
              3 carbon frames and other carbon parts, like bars, stems a couple carbon forks.

              If you find a merchant that will work with you, they will have the wheels built with the parts you want.
              On my X1 wheels I wanted carbon 27.5 boost wheels
              Matte finish, carbon 40mm rims, Novatek hubs with a Shimano driver and big fat round spokes.

              It took the merchant about a week to order my wheels with my build specs
              Most of the merchants you see on Ali are just sales people that get the wheels from the big guys that make the wheels

              Comment


                I ordered from the original post link. China is an entire different ball game. I ordered matte black but received XD hubs. No biggie since I had some Parts for Schram hubs anyway and switched them out. I’m about 250# with my gear on and they have worked great! I want to add that I never received any shipping confirmation or tracking info. But I did receive them in about 2 weeks. So be patient!

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mw195 View Post
                  Hey EL34,
                  I am looking at this wheelset (40x30) on Aliexpress, and it is listed as clincher type.
                  I like the rim because it is one of the few 40mm wide rims listed, and navigating the aliexpress website is proving unintuitive for me. After all, I have yet to figure out how to search for only 27.5 or 650B. It only filters by boost or non-boost. Maybe you know how to navigate it better and have pointers?
                  Ideally, I would like to build up 41mm (external width/35mm internal width) rims on gray Koozer hubs with 72POE.
                  In your opinion, does the finish of the rim mean anything? UD vs 3K vs 12K
                  I ordered these (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000286472800.html?). in the "S" (for Shimano PG driver) and Matte UD.

                  UD = Unidirectional. The 12k/3k carbon fiber is simply the top layer and is primarily a visual decision and doesn't have a large impact on strength. The rest of the actual wheel is made out of UD carbon. There is some support that the UD versions (with a UD top layer) could be slightly stronger than the other versions but we're talking small differences (if any). Just make sure you get the right driver for what hub you want to run.

                  Mine showed up after about 45 days via DHL and are very nice. I have the hubs provided and from what I can tell on the research the hubs are essentially the same as the OE's source for the major brands. They seem to be pretty nice and the only complaints i've seen is that the bearing quality may not be top tier. But even then when/if the bearings wear out you could just swap in nicer new bearings and rebuild them. Might make it easier to just get what they are selling and use it until a rebuild is required. I've done about 100 3-4 drops (huck to flat) on the wheels so far and they are rock solid still so the hubs and wheels seems to be pretty stout so far. Hope this helps.

                  Comment


                    I have Novatec hubs on 3 of my Chinese wheel sets

                    2 of the wheels sets are 5+ years old and I have had zero issues with the bearings
                    One bike is a Carbon full suspension MTB and the other is rigid Carbon gravel bike

                    My X1 wheel set has Novatec hubs also

                    One thing to keep in mind on shipping
                    I always request EMS shipping which will come through the USPS postal system
                    I have never paid any sort of import duty on those shipments

                    One time a Chinese merchant used UPS and the item showed up with a $400 US import duty
                    Not sure if DHL does the same thing or not?

                    Comment


                      My new Cassette arrived to from Ali Express
                      That was pretty fast.
                      I ordered it in August 4th and today is August 15th

                      It looks to be well made
                      It's all steel and is machined like the SRAM XX1 11 speed cassettes that I have
                      Gears 1 to 11 are a one piece machined steel assembly

                      The big 50 tooth cog is rivetted onto the one piece machines body
                      The big 50 tooth is steel also, not aluminum like on a SRAM cassette

                      It weighs 403 grams
                      Compare that to the stock Luna X1 cassette which is 612 grams

                      I'll change it out and see how it performs

                      Here's the link to the cassette on Ali Express
                      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001278998057.html

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Img_1485.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.2 KB ID:	112024


                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Img_1486.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.7 KB ID:	112025

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by EL34 View Post
                        My new Cassette arrived to from Ali Express
                        That was pretty fast.
                        I ordered it in August 4th and today is August 15th

                        It looks to be well made
                        It's all steel and is machined like the SRAM XX1 11 speed cassettes that I have
                        Gears 1 to 11 are a one piece machined steel assembly

                        The big 50 tooth cog is rivetted onto the one piece machines body
                        The big 50 tooth is steel also, not aluminum like on a SRAM cassette

                        It weighs 403 grams
                        Compare that to the stock Luna X1 cassette which is 612 grams

                        I'll change it out and see how it performs

                        Here's the link to the cassette on Ali Express
                        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001278998057.html

                        Click image for larger version Name:	Img_1485.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.2 KB ID:	112024


                        Click image for larger version Name:	Img_1486.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.7 KB ID:	112025
                        that came fast!!! Hope it works well in the ebikes! Did you get a chain too? Still waiting on my wheels.
                        motor has developed some crazy noises, not sure if I can post video here

                        Comment


                          phatty
                          Just got back from a 30 mile ride on the X1
                          The cassette worked perfectly

                          On the first big steep climb, I could hear a bit of noise like the chain was not centered perfectly on a cog
                          I only had to tweak the barrel adjuster on the bars a tiny bit to get it aligned properly


                          No need for a new chain because it is not that old
                          I use a park chain stretch tool to check it
                          I replace the chain a couple times a year

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1488.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	112067

                          Comment


                          • phatty
                            phatty commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Awesome, happy thats working out for you. I know a lot of people are scared that it doesnt say sram or shimano, but I found the ztto cassettes to be very good, lightweight, and affordable!


                          My Luna X1 weighs 55 pounds.
                          Not too bad at all for an Ebike.
                          My carbon fat bike with a BBSHD weighs 58.5 pounds

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by yomanew View Post
                            My Luna X1 weighs 55 pounds.
                            Not too bad at all for an Ebike.
                            My carbon fat bike with a BBSHD weighs 58.5 pounds
                            My X1 is down to 50 pounds
                            The reduced rotational weight of the carbon wheels is very noticeable
                            Plus lifting the bike over downed tress and other obstacles is a bit easier
                            Last edited by EL34; 08-17-2020, 05:07 AM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by EL34 View Post
                              I remove the X1 rear shock to have a look at the hardware used for the pivots
                              The stock shock is 200mm
                              There is a link you can reverse if you use a 210mm shock

                              Here's a shot of the hardware.

                              Click image for larger version Name:	image_18805.jpg Views:	3 Size:	331.9 KB ID:	96936
                              IMHO the adjustable rear attach point for the shock is to adjust the steering slack angle from an Enduro to Downhill. For giggles I switched to the Downhill position (mounting point furthest rear position), I really liked both the look and the steering action from the extra slack, the only downside was the increased incidence of pedal strikes due to the rear of the bike sitting a bit lower. It's nice to have that adjustability depending on the type of riding you do.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X