Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phatty View Post
    Just saw these. Order up!!! I got mine coming!!
    https://lunacycle.com/luna-x1-enduro-short-crank-arms/
    Thanks for the link
    The crank arms look nice
    Give us a report when you get yours

Comment

Just preordered the enormous 750 watts X1 Enduro from Luna! I have been in the market for another e-bicycle for more than a half year. Endless alternatives and I have been so torn! I was truly reluctant to drop this much on an e-bicycle yet the specs look wiped out and for the cash, I believe it's justified, despite all the trouble. They state they'll deliver at end of October and I am past energized. I ride each day. I drive, do tasks, and ride for the sake of entertainment. My bicycle is my vehicle and that's just the beginning. I put a decent 20+ miles daily on my current (cheapo rattler) ebike. WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THIS PURCHASE? What adornments would it be a good idea for me to get for it?

Comment

• deserthi
        deserthi commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you order a small? That seems to be the only size available. I have been wanting one but now am looking at a big name bosch drive bike. The pedal assist on those bikes are much better than the X-1. The only advantage to the x1 is the price but I have found some good deals for a little over 4K.

Originally posted by rakkioo7 View Post
      Just preordered the enormous 750 watts X1 Enduro from Luna! I have been in the market for another e-bicycle for more than a half year. Endless alternatives and I have been so torn! I was truly reluctant to drop this much on an e-bicycle yet the specs look wiped out and for the cash, I believe it's justified, despite all the trouble. They state they'll deliver at end of October and I am past energized. I ride each day. I drive, do tasks, and ride for the sake of entertainment. My bicycle is my vehicle and that's just the beginning. I put a decent 20+ miles daily on my current (cheapo rattler) ebike. WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THIS PURCHASE? What adornments would it be a good idea for me to get for it?
      Look at all the post here starting at page one and you will find info about what you can change

Comment

EL34, I assume when you set up your carbon wheels tubeless you used Stan's sealant and yellow tape. If so, did you use the "regular" 21mm tape or something wider? I am also guessing you used the 44mm stem since most of the carbon wheels are fairly deep in profile compared to an aluminum wheel?

Thanks for any insights!

Comment

Originally posted by Desmodromic View Post
          EL34, I assume when you set up your carbon wheels tubeless you used Stan's sealant and yellow tape. If so, did you use the "regular" 21mm tape or something wider? I am also guessing you used the 44mm stem since most of the carbon wheels are fairly deep in profile compared to an aluminum wheel?

Thanks for any insights!
          I used Stan's sealant and regular Stan's valves.
          My rims are not that deep

I always use fiberglass filament strapping tape to seal my rims
          I go around the rim 2 or 3 times with the tape

1/2 or 3/4 inch wide works for most rims
          I used 2 inch wide on my fat bike rims

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image1.png Views:	5 Size:	301.7 KB ID:	113738
          Last edited by EL34; 09-14-2020, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Update on shorter crank arms:
            0 pedal strikes. That speaks for itself. Pedaled through multiple sections I previously used throttle on to avoid strikes. It was awesome! I was able to maintain flow.
            Cadence was higher it seemed, it felt a little shorter standing but I got used to it in a mile or so. I did a 42 mile 4k vert day first ride on them. It did not help with PAS levels 1-4. Overall, I think they are worth the money. I would still like to see a billet or carbon set because they are easily almost 2lbs each thats a lot of weight that can be saved. Still, its 1000x better than the 175mm ones.

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post
              I have the stock wheel weights
              Weights are with the rims strips but no axles

Front wheel - 1485 grams
              Rear wheel - 1715 grams

My carbon wheels - 40mm rims
              Front wheel - 842 grams
              Rear wheel - 959 grams

Note that I re-used the stock tires and axles
              I went tubeless with Stan's on the carbon wheel set
              Hello,

I bought separate frame same as Luna from chinesse seller, rims carbon 50mm 27,5" 28 holes. Will be good?
              Which size of carbon handlebar do you use? Is it 620mm?
              It's first time I bulding ebike from scratch. Need buy every item separately..
              Is it worth to go with Sram casette and derailleur?
              Does M600 made any resistance when you ride with 0 lvl assist?

Comment

• bradleyland
                bradleyland commented
                Editing a comment
                50mm will work with the stock 2.8" tires. You should get a nice large footprint.

The M600 offers no resistance when PAS is at 0. There's a sprag clutch on the crank that lets it freewheel, so you're not driving the motor or the gears. It is silent when pedaling and in PAS 0.

• phatty
                phatty commented
                Editing a comment
                50mm external is probably 35-40mm internal. Will work really well with 2.8" tires.

Originally posted by elamigo View Post
              Hello,
              I bought separate frame same as Luna from chinesse seller, rims carbon 50mm 27,5" 28 holes. Will be good?
              Which size of carbon handlebar do you use? Is it 620mm?
              It's first time I bulding ebike from scratch. Need buy every item separately..
              Is it worth to go with Sram casette and derailleur?
              Does M600 made any resistance when you ride with 0 lvl assist?
              50mm rims. Depends on how wide the tire knobs are probably
              I use 700mm bars, but that is your choice
              SRAM or Shimano is your choice
              I doubt you will ride in level 0 because you are pedaling a 50 + pound bicycle and it is hard

Comment

Hey guys, could you let me know if the current stock setup is able to convert to tubeless? Sounds like the tires are but not sure about the rims.

Comment

Originally posted by macron90 View Post
                  Hey guys, could you let me know if the current stock setup is able to convert to tubeless? Sounds like the tires are but not sure about the rims.
                  Yes you can convert the stock rims to tubeless
                  Why do you think it cannot be done?

Comment

Originally posted by macron90 View Post
                    All you have to do is wrap the wheels with any sort of tubeless tape or gorilla tape or like EL34 the fiberglass fillament tape. Then add in your sealant 3.75oz and seat the bead and your good to go.

https://youtu.be/wTCvIH6GOBc

Comment

• macron90
                      macron90 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks guys. Can’t thank the community enough for all the shared knowledge. This is my first MTB, so excuse my dumb questions. I’m going tubeless!

Just found the best deal on the SNAIL 104 BCD chain rings.
                    My 40 tooth black was $9.99 and free shipping from the US

That's cheaper than on Ali and faster shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Bike-Ch...T/254632812933

Click image for larger version

Name:	snail.png
Views:	186
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	114310

Comment

Originally posted by phatty View Post
                      Update on shorter crank arms:
                      0 pedal strikes. That speaks for itself. Pedaled through multiple sections I previously used throttle on to avoid strikes. It was awesome! I was able to maintain flow.
                      Cadence was higher it seemed, it felt a little shorter standing but I got used to it in a mile or so. I did a 42 mile 4k vert day first ride on them. It did not help with PAS levels 1-4. Overall, I think they are worth the money. I would still like to see a billet or carbon set because they are easily almost 2lbs each thats a lot of weight that can be saved. Still, its 1000x better than the 175mm ones.
                      This is essentially my experience as well. They really are super heavy (are they actually lighter than the stock ones?), and tbh, I would probably prefer 160mm - if Lekkie ever makes a set like they've been planning, I'll be picking it up.

As for PAS 1-4 I think it makes it worse. Now that I have my X1, I'm joining the people trying to figure out what is going on there hahaha - but I'm pretty sure that this is tied to torque sensing thresholds. I can get assist on the lower levels when I'm pushing a high gear on the flats, but when I switch to a low gear and spin a high cadence on the hills I'm just not putting down enough torque to activate the assist - and short cranks would make this situation worse. It feels like - well, like climbing a 50 pound bike in granny gear, it sucks. Then at 5/9 or 3/5, it's like a switch gets flipped somewhere and I'm getting tons of power no matter how hard I'm pushing.

EL34, you either have an unusually well-calibrated torque sensor, or you're just a torque monster pushing harder than us mere mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by eskachig View Post

EL34, you either have an unusually well-calibrated torque sensor, or you're just a torque monster pushing harder than us mere mortals.
                        I am thinking that there must be different controller firm wares.
                        You can't get an answer from Luna on this, so that is the only thing I can think of?

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

I am thinking that there must be different controller firm wares.
                          You can't get an answer from Luna on this, so that is the only thing I can think of?
                          That's probably it, especially going by some unconfirmed reports that flashing with newer firmware helps. For the record, my versions are:

Controller
                          Software CRX10NC4818i132014.5
                          Hardware CR X10N.500.FC 3.2

Torque sensor
                          Software SRPA212CF1010.10
                          Hardware SR PA21232ST.C 1.0

Going by this thread:
                          https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...0777&start=300

The current Bafang version is 14.6 - but I don't know if Luna has done any of their own tinkering.

Maybe you just have Bafang's stock tuning on your bike, people with non-Luna m600s seem happier with their behavior on lower PAS levels. Someone forgot to flash it, and you're reaping the benefits.
                          Last edited by eskachig; 09-24-2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• phatty
                            phatty commented
                            Editing a comment
                            These feels more like the case. I just run in setting 5 of 9 and try and realize I am only going to get 4k climbing and 40 miles max on the battery. Ive been trying to find a spare battery. but even that sucks because then i have to carry a spare battery. Going to just order an e10 and m500 and go that route. I think it comes with the 840 watt battery as well.

• eskachig
                            eskachig commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Why not just stick the M500 into your X-1? It sort of reads like you should be able to just swap it in.
                            Last edited by eskachig; 09-26-2020, 01:19 AM.
                        Working...
                        X