No announcement yet.

Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to have lost every ruler and measuring tape in the house - EL34, do you remember what size chainstay protector you have on your bike?

Comment

Originally posted by eskachig View Post
      I seem to have lost every ruler and measuring tape in the house - EL34, do you remember what size chainstay protector you have on your bike?
      This is the chain protector I have on my X1
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186OOSTA/

Comment

• eskachig
        eskachig commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha, medium - thanks a ton!

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

This is the chain protector I have on my X1
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186OOSTA/
      Yes, I ordered Medium
      I forgot they had 3 sizes listed
      It looks like this on my X1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1344.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	116797

Comment

My Zitto cassette arrived - 395 grams, impressive. I can see where the material came from - it only anchors at the ends of the hub body, so compared to a regular cassette the body is hollow. It'll be interesting how it works out on the X-1.

Comment

• Desmodromic
          Desmodromic commented
          Editing a comment
          Interested to hear how it works out for you over time and with X-1 loads. Please keep us posted!

Originally posted by eskachig View Post
        My Zitto cassette arrived - 395 grams, impressive. I can see where the material came from - it only anchors at the ends of the hub body, so compared to a regular cassette the body is hollow. It'll be interesting how it works out on the X-1.
        I have been running my ZITTO cassette for a while now without any issues
        It way better than the stock cassette that came on the X1
        It stronger and lighter than a regular cassette

I have been running SRAM XX1 one piece cassettes for many years
        It's the same construction as the ZITTO's

Not sure if people questioning the one piece machining under stand the concept here

Individual cogs with a spacer like on a stock cassette means that the cogs can move independently
        They can also twist and bend because you have a piece of metal supported by nothing other than a plastic spacer in the center

I have seen Ebike owners post images like this on Facebook

Name:	55892541_1066903483516934_3779015120999415808_o.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	116898

Comment

• Desmodromic
          Desmodromic commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, I'm not sure anyone misunderstands the concept. I know I don't. It's not about questioning the concept, the details around the concept matter.

It's not worth arguing about, but different users have different use cases. Some guys are putting a LOT more torque into the driveline than they ever would under human-only power. In Chinese manufacturing, often times liberties are taken when the parts are not for an OEM that has specific requirements or material, machining details, heat treat, etc. Like you, I've run top level SRAM cassettes on both MTB and Road for many years. They're great stuff. That doesn't mean that a Chinese clone of those parts will perform the same over time on a high-powered eBike. And if it's NOT a direct clone from a design perspective, they equate even less. Apples to Oranges.

Positive experiences with actual in-use durability are to me far more valuable than the "concept" or nebulous statements like "way better." Thanks for sharing yours.

No one is arguing and I am not picking on any one person here

The reason I said all of that is because I have seen other post where people don't quite understand the concept of how these one piece cassettes are made physically and they question whether they are ok to use or not

In my drawing below you have a typical cassette on the left and a one piece on the left
        It's a crude drawing but it illustrates the construction of each type

Some cassettes join a few of the top cogs together with rivets and they are better than the ones that have every single cog as a separate cog with spacers between each cog

in my drawing below, which one do you think is weaker and more likely to bend a cog under high power?
        It should be pretty evident that the one on the right has way more support for each cog because it is one piece of machined steel
        Except for the very top largest cog, which is always joined to the main assembly

I hope this helps to explain why one piece cogs are a better choice for Ebikes

​​​​​​​

Name:	cogs.png
Views:	68
Size:	252 Bytes
ID:	116912
        Attached Files

Comment

It's cheaper, and less than 2/3rds the weight of the SX cassette - if it lasts 2/3rds as long, I'll feel like I came out ahead. I understand some of these had issues with backpedaling, but that's not a concern with our bikes in any case. I don't want to jinx it, because I haven't had a chance to toss it on and see how it shifts, but so far this looks like great value by ZTTO. I tend to keep my cadence high, and don't think I'm in the "high power" set.

I have their dropper post lever too - it's never going to look as good as a PNY, but it works extremely well and costs something like $18.
          Last edited by eskachig; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
          X