No announcement yet.

Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My take on the 100mm dropper is that it is enough. I don't feel that you have to have a perfect "high" seat high when riding an ebike as a small loss in uphill pedalling efficiency isn't a big deal with a powerful ebike.

EL34 - yes, I did purchase the chain ring bolts from the Ebay seller, thanks to your heads up on the issue. There is an option to buy the chain ring and bolts together. Did 4k of decent last weekend and could have used some taller gears in some areas, so I can't wait to receive 40T chain ring.

EL34 - have you considered doing the DebonAir upgrade to make the Yari fork more like a Lyrik fork? The Yari fork is fine for me, but i would be nice to have Lyrik like fork.
    This: https://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Lyri.../dp/B07DK1YQRT

Comment

• eskachig
      eskachig commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the air spring upgrade, not the lyrik internals upgrade - that one is more like $250, but could be worth it for a better performing fork.

With this air spring upgrade you can change the travel on the yari - something I'm also considering doing. I'm thinking about using an offset headset to slacken the head tube by one degree, and taking the fork up to 180mm. Seems like it will make for a bashier more confident bike.

I think I'd like to ride the stock geo for a while before making that sort of move, though.

This is the damper kit to upgrade the yari to lyrik internals. It's pricy, and seems to be back ordered a lot of places.

https://www.performancebike.com/rock...70.000/p968578

Our euro folks have a line on a cheaper one in stock:

https://www.bike24.com/p2330855.html
      Last edited by eskachig; 06-29-2020, 03:29 PM.

Has anyone tried the shift sensor switch on the X1? In the higher settings it's hard to avoid gear grind.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyN View Post
      Has anyone tried the shift sensor switch on the X1? In the higher settings it's hard to avoid gear grind.
      Not familiar with it - to shift I usually shift then feather the throttle very lightly and when the gears are engaged I apply throttle.

I'm thinking about swapping out the stock derailleur for the SRAM EX1 8-speed designed for e-bikes. Reasons:
      • Full derailleur functioning across all 12 gears is unreliable (well known issue here)
      • Don't need 12 gears with electric motor
      • My derailleur is already having problems
      • Larger jumps between gears -> fewer double shifts
      • EX1 cassette, chain, and derailleur designed for higher torque loads

SRAM EX1 set - will it work with the Luna X1?
      https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-xg-899-a1
      https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/rd-ex1-a1
      https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-ex-1-a1

Comment

• JimmyN
        JimmyN commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure if this is the correct one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shift-Gear-....c100005.m1851

• bradleyland
        bradleyland commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't had any derailleur issues once I dialed mine in. Out of the box, there isn't enough adjustment at the barrel nut on the shifter to run the top gear. I had to loosen the cable at the derailleur, dial out some adjustment, then clamp the cable back down and dial the derailleur in. I run all 12 gears, and can use full-throttle in top gear if I want. I usually only use that gear for cruising to/from trails, but it works just fine.

If you're having issues with shifts, definitely do a derailleur adjustment first. If you can't get it dialed in, consider taking it to your LBS. They should be able to get it.

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for all the great tips. I have ordered 40T Chain Ring, Chain and throttle upgrades.

I did want to share on thing back - the frame seems to cratch really easily. I got "Lamin-x Bicycle Frame Tape Guard (Matte)" from Amazon - link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I am interested to know if there is any reason I should not apply this for protection & if anyone has any better suggestion to protect the frame...

Thanks

Comment

Glad the chain ring bolts deal worked out.
        I don't know anything about the Fork mod thing.
        I'll read up on it later
        Thanks for the info

Originally posted by AgileMike View Post
        My take on the 100mm dropper is that it is enough. I don't feel that you have to have a perfect "high" seat high when riding an ebike as a small loss in uphill pedalling efficiency isn't a big deal with a powerful ebike.

EL34 - yes, I did purchase the chain ring bolts from the Ebay seller, thanks to your heads up on the issue. There is an option to buy the chain ring and bolts together. Did 4k of decent last weekend and could have used some taller gears in some areas, so I can't wait to receive 40T chain ring.

EL34 - have you considered doing the DebonAir upgrade to make the Yari fork more like a Lyrik fork? The Yari fork is fine for me, but i would be nice to have Lyrik like fork.
        This: https://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Lyri.../dp/B07DK1YQRT

Comment

I am not sure what you are asking?
          My X1 shifts flawlessly

It does not slam the gears hard while shifting like my BBSHD Fat Bike does

Originally posted by JimmyN View Post

Comment

• JimmyN
            JimmyN commented
            Editing a comment
            In the higher settings (7,8,and 9 while going uphill it's hard not to grind gears, it's like if you were on a non powered bike you would never attempt to change gears while standing on the pedals it's just to harsh on the drivetrain, you find your gear then give it hell. on my throttle only bike I could change gears while pedaling and once the change was made I could roll on the throttle and off you go, I stretched many chains but never broke one. I think the best thing would be to program the throttle power settings separate from the PAS also the power lingers way to long after the pedaling stops I know this could be programed out because Bafang has done it with the 620.

I don't have any of those issues with my X1
          I love the Eagle 12 speed gearing

I am used to SRAM XX1 1 x 11 on two others bikes, so the gearing on the X1 feels perfect to me

My X1 gets beat to crap on very tough technical trails and 12 gears with close spacing is way more useful to me than 8 speed

I have a Fat bike with BBSHD that is 9 speed reduced down to 7 speed and that gearing is not that great for the terrain I ride

Originally posted by nh43de View Post

Not familiar with it - to shift I usually shift then feather the throttle very lightly and when the gears are engaged I apply throttle.

I'm thinking about swapping out the stock derailleur for the SRAM EX1 8-speed designed for e-bikes. Reasons:
          • Full derailleur functioning across all 12 gears is unreliable (well known issue here)
          • Don't need 12 gears with electric motor
          • My derailleur is already having problems
          • Larger jumps between gears -> fewer double shifts
          • EX1 cassette, chain, and derailleur designed for higher torque loads

SRAM EX1 set - will it work with the Luna X1?
          https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-xg-899-a1
          https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/rd-ex1-a1
          https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-ex-1-a1

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPiggy View Post
            Hi folks,

Thanks so much for all the great tips. I have ordered 40T Chain Ring, Chain and throttle upgrades.

I did want to share on thing back - the frame seems to cratch really easily. I got "Lamin-x Bicycle Frame Tape Guard (Matte)" from Amazon - link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
            I am interested to know if there is any reason I should not apply this for protection & if anyone has any better suggestion to protect the frame...

Thanks
            None that I know of

Comment

I ordered a Carbon wheel set for the X1.

I ordered 40mm wide carbon rims which will give the tires a nice fat footprint
              I will be going tubeless on the new wheels
              I will be using the tubeless ready Maxxis tires that came on the X1

I expect to be dropping about 5 pounds off the X1

Comment

The Carbon Wheel set arrived yesterday and I have them installed on the X1
                I am re-using the stock cassette, rotors and tires.
                The stock tubes are gone because I am running the new wheel set tubeless with Stan's

Here's an update video on my X1

Comment

Luna X1 ride with the non Ludicrous controller.

Testing the range on my X1.
                  The ride was 35.5 miles.
                  The battery said 24% on the last mile of my ride while riding in assist level 2 of 9.
                  So that was under a load while riding the last mile

The battery said 31% when I got home and that was without a load.
                  The battery voltage was 46.7 volts when I got home and checked it.

I also tested out my new GoPro Hero 8 black on this ride today.
                  I can't tilt the GoPro up and back any further using the GoPro Chesty.
                  The video is a little low.
                  I need an attachment that lets the camera tilt up more.
                  I am impressed with the Hero 8's stabilization

Her's the video I shot of the X1 in action

Comment

I was told to flip the GoPro upside down and you can get more angle tilted up.
                    I'll try that on my next video.
                    It's a learning process :)

Comment

Since your talking about going to 1X8 speed form 1X12 I thought I would share my street setup. Not high end lightweiaght stuff, but some different parts to consider.
                      When you get into 8=9 speed stuff Rapid Rise low normal deraillers become an option. IDK if SRAM X1 is using the 12 speed width, or the old 8 Speed casette width. So they may not interchange.

Sunrace makes some very cheap 11-40t, and 11-42t 8 speed casettes for$20-$30.
                      . I put Shimano or SRAM 11t, and 13t cogs on them,XTR when I can get them. The 8 speed X1 will need to replace the whole thing when the small cogs wear. Not good on a street bike. Offroad IDK. The monolithiccasette thing started with aluminum freehub bodies. You need steel to run the cheaper casettes. The OLD XTR 8 speed stuff just goes to 11-32 and is hard to find now in NOS condition. But you could lace up some carbon rims and run these if you wnated to.
                      edit cursor is not working properly so I'm leaving my typos as is.
                      The Rapid Rise derailer is not too hard to find n medium cage XTR, and NOS because it used for DH racing, but not too popular with climbers. Upshifts are pretty positive because it's pulling cable, Downshift can be any number of gears, and evenstanding still. The shif will occur the next time you pedal. Great with gripshifts. The pattern is reversed though. SRAM Rocket, and Attack shifters work iwith these.

Downshifts under power are more positive with normal derailers due to cable being pulled, but you must be pedaling and moving for it to shift at all.

My rear setup ia a Sunrace 11-40t casette with Shimano 11,13T cogs. An XTR medium cage Rapid Rise derailer (which is at it's limit with the 11-40t range). And a derailer hanger made by cutting the opposite ends off of 2 Wheelsmith 6061 hangers and welding the 2 long peices together. This also just clears the 40t cog. tell your welder about the 6061 allot so he can use the right welding rod/wire. Then the hanger can be bent for alignment if needed.
                      It's possible that hese derailers will work with 12 speed width if you back out the limit screws. Not sure though. My bikes are just converted 8 speed era bikes.
                      Last edited by Retrorockit; 12-16-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post
                        Luna X1 ride with the non Ludicrous controller.

Testing the range on my X1.
                        The ride was 35.5 miles.
                        The battery said 24% on the last mile of my ride while riding in assist level 2 of 9.
                        So that was under a load while riding the last mile

The battery said 31% when I got home and that was without a load.
                        The battery voltage was 46.7 volts when I got home and checked it.

I also tested out my new GoPro Hero 8 black on this ride today.
                        I can't tilt the GoPro up and back any further using the GoPro Chesty.
                        The video is a little low.
                        I need an attachment that lets the camera tilt up more.
                        I am impressed with the Hero 8's stabilization

Her's the video I shot of the X1 in action

I saw this on youtube didn't know it was yours! Awesome video actually this video got me wondering if I should even get the Ludi upgrade. I am so torn between ludi and non ludi. Was wondering essentially if I had ludi would it make a huge range difference compared to a non ludi bike since its only peak current that increases which means its in non ludi most of the time? Btw i watched your video like 3 times lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ppanda View Post

I saw this on youtube didn't know it was yours! Awesome video actually this video got me wondering if I should even get the Ludi upgrade. I am so torn between ludi and non ludi. Was wondering essentially if I had ludi would it make a huge range difference compared to a non ludi bike since its only peak current that increases which means its in non ludi most of the time? Btw i watched your video like 3 times lol.
                          The guys on face book with Ludi bikes are not getting any where near the mileage I get.
                          For me, there is no reason to have more power than the stock controller has.
                          I ride on 2 of 9 on flat stuff, 3 on climbs and 4 if it gets really steep

So what good does having more power and eating up the battery faster do me?
                          Just my .02
                          :)

Comment

• JimmyN
                            JimmyN commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's not that we need it, some of us just like going fast up hill it's that simple. we can always ride on the lower settings and the power consumption is equal to the stock controller. my pickup truck is capable of 120 MPH but at that speed my fuel mileage is terrible so I keep it at 65 most of the time but when I want to go fast up hill I can. Glad your happy with the stock controller, having gobs of power is not for everyone, some can't handle it :-)
                        Working...
                        X