Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cavi View Post
    do you guys trust the CF wheelsets from Ali? My local bike shop has told me horror stories. I am a heavy guy at 250lbs, so i worry. What has been your honest experience?
    I have Carbon Chinese wheels sets on 4 bikes.
    Some are 5+ years ago
    Never had an issue

China makes carbon bike parts for the whole world

You can go to MTBR forum and read thousands's of users that have built Carbon bikes from China here
    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/d...er-737952.html

Comment

Considering buying an X-1. Love this post :)

Did you opt for their "silent treatment" and/or ludicrous mode? I saw comments about the sound but I think that was with the steel pinion.

Comment

EL34... I couldn't find you posting a latest weight on your bike after all the mods. So curious how much it's lost after the diet. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Nevitt33 View Post
          EL34... I couldn't find you posting a latest weight on your bike after all the mods. So curious how much it's lost after the diet. :)
          The bike weight went down 5 pounds.
          That's a bunch of weight loss

Last edited by EL34; 04-07-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I was little worried about breaking CF wheels as well. Time will tell. I'm 6'3" and about 250 with my backpack full of water. I have the rockshock rear maxed at 250 psi. I also have ludicrous and silent gear. I have a large Frame and it fits me great! I haven't installed my CF wheels yet. They sent me the wheels with an XD hub so I ordered an x01 group set. I should have that next week along with some ENVE CF bars with a 50mm riser. I'll install everything next week when I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn outside View Post
              I was little worried about breaking CF wheels as well. Time will tell. I'm 6'3" and about 250 with my backpack full of water. I have the rockshock rear maxed at 250 psi. I also have ludicrous and silent gear. I have a large Frame and it fits me great! I haven't installed my CF wheels yet. They sent me the wheels with an XD hub so I ordered an x01 group set. I should have that next week along with some ENVE CF bars with a 50mm riser. I'll install everything next week when I get it.
              Nice!

Comment

That is great. I think anytime you can drop 5 pounds of un-sprung weight and inertial mass, it will provide a notable improvement. I've considered some carbon wheels - but not sure what the hopes of getting something from China are at the moment! For reference, here are some weight savings I have done. A lot of small/trivial stuff, but subtracts ~1.5lbs overall:

aluminum handlebar (304g), aluminum headset (130g) > unitized carbon handlebar/headset (216g) = -218g
                dropper seat post (491g), trigger, cable (77g) > carbon seat post (241g) = -327g
                remove wheel reflectors = -36g
                remove throttle, cable = -33g
                32T steel sprocket (117g) > 40T aluminum sprocket (69g) = -48g

So adding some carbon parts I had laying around and removing some things I didn't need/want, shaved 662 grams or just under 1.5 lbs.

Comment

• ppanda
                  ppanda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which carbon handlebar and headset are you using? I've never seen a carbon headset for mountainbikes yet.

• K442
                  K442 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This happens to be a "Toseek" brand. If you ebay "Carbon MTB integrated bar handlebar" you should find several to choose from.

Originally posted by K442 View Post
                That is great. I think anytime you can drop 5 pounds of un-sprung weight and inertial mass, it will provide a notable improvement. I've considered some carbon wheels - but not sure what the hopes of getting something from China are at the moment! For reference, here are some weight savings I have done. A lot of small/trivial stuff, but subtracts ~1.5lbs overall:

aluminum handlebar (304g), aluminum headset (130g) > unitized carbon handlebar/headset (216g) = -218g
                dropper seat post (491g), trigger, cable (77g) > carbon seat post (241g) = -327g
                remove wheel reflectors = -36g
                remove throttle, cable = -33g
                32T steel sprocket (117g) > 40T aluminum sprocket (69g) = -48g

So adding some carbon parts I had laying around and removing some things I didn't need/want, shaved 662 grams or just under 1.5 lbs.

I order lots of stuff on Ali Express
                ​​​​​​​I am not having any issues receiving the shipments here in the US

Comment

Med size X-1 owners... could someone give me the max distance from center of crank/bottom bracket to top of seat when the seat post is at max height(including insertion and extension)? I am deciding on size as I wait for matte black and with long legs want to make sure I won't need to purchase a longer travel post(at least not right away)!
                  Hopefully the seatpost has a long insertion tube for lots of flexibility?
                  I'm 5-10 with 33" inseam, ride a large Ibis HD4 and love it.
                  Sure would be great if there were videos of the bike in action taking jumps, ect. from bystander point of view...

Comment

Originally posted by mavarbor View Post
                    Med size X-1 owners... could someone give me the max distance from center of crank/bottom bracket to top of seat when the seat post is at max height(including insertion and extension)? I am deciding on size as I wait for matte black and with long legs want to make sure I won't need to purchase a longer travel post(at least not right away)!
                    Hopefully the seatpost has a long insertion tube for lots of flexibility?
                    I'm 5-10 with 33" inseam, ride a large Ibis HD4 and love it.
                    Sure would be great if there were videos of the bike in action taking jumps, ect. from bystander point of view...
                    I don't ride mine with the seat all the way up
                    I put it all the way up so my Park work stand has enough to grab

I measured mine just now with seat all the way up
                    From spindle to top of seat is 28 inches

I have a 30 inch inseam
                    The bike has a taller stand-over than my 29'er bikes, so it may be fine for you

I don't have big jump videos, but I ride mine on pretty technical terrain and it takes a beating

Here's a playlist with a bunch of Hero 8 GoPro videos of my X1
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Iv1EMDKRdUQ7Bz

This one was filmed last week in 1440p

Last edited by EL34; 05-02-2020, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much for responding, your posts and videos have been a great help in deciding to buy the bike. When you measured from center of spindle to top of seat was the seat post at the minimum insertion point and fully telescoped out, in other words at its maximum possible length over all for the highest seat available for that medium frame?

Comment

Originally posted by mavarbor View Post
                        Thanks so much for responding, your posts and videos have been a great help in deciding to buy the bike. When you measured from center of spindle to top of seat was the seat post at the minimum insertion point and fully telescoped out, in other words at its maximum possible length over all for the highest seat available for that medium frame?
                        Yes, the upper is all the way out.
                        Only about 5 inches of the lower seat post is exposed

I don't want to move it to find out how much more is down inside the frame
                        Probably several more inches?

If you can find a seat post picture, someone could measure the lower section length

Comment

I have my seat post out, so here are some dimensions:

Min Insert line, down = 100mm (this is the part that should always be in the frame)
                          Min Insert line, up to collar = 98mm (this is the range of adjustment on the post)
                          Believe the dropper part is spec'd for 100mm travel
                          Min Insert line to seat (dropper fully extended) = 270mm

So stacking it all up, you'd have a 175mm crank arm, 445mm seat tube on the medium and 270mm max on the seat post. 890mm, or call it 35 inches total.

I'm 6'4 and have an XL, so won't be much help on sizing, except to say that the XL is 'comfortable' for me and most other XLs have seemed a bit small. So it seems the general comments of this frame running a bit big are true.

The only thing which my be of concern - if you plan on a lot of hard riding, having the seat post near the 'min insert' line only leaves that 100mm for the tube to grab on to. If it were an aluminum frame, I would not worry. But I have seen some instances on other carbon frames where the seat post cracks through the seat tube. In that case, a larger frame would allow more seat post in the frame.

Comment

I’m 6’3” and I am riding a large. It fits perfect. I have an xl trek full suspension bike. My wife is 5’9” and I got her a medium. It’s almost too big. She has the seat all the way down. Like others have mentioned, it’s a size bigger than stated. I’m glad I ordered a large. I was originally going with an XL. I would say if you are between sizes definitely go with the smaller.

Comment

Thanks a lot men, med matte black is in my future if price holds

Comment

Working...
                              X