Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    Originally posted by ppanda View Post
    Hi I am looking to get quality headset for the bike I am building my own could someone tell me what size are the headset? There are so many type like integrated semi integrated etc....
    You should start your own post
    My post here is about my X1

    Comment


      #92
      Another X1 mileage report

      Non Ludi X1
      40 tooth chain ring
      PAS was one and two most of the day
      PAS three on the steeper stuff and then right back to one or two
      PAS is set to 9 levels in meter

      GPS said 32.35 miles
      X1 meter said 37.3 miles
      Actual mileage was 35.1 miles using a meter with actual wheel circumference

      Starting voltage was 53.9 volts
      Ending voltage was 47.1 volts


      Click image for larger version  Name:	Bracken_Loop_2.png Views:	0 Size:	463.3 KB ID:	109537

      Comment


      • JimmyN
        JimmyN commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s been a while Since I’ve been on the forum, looks like you’ve been doing some good work. Tell me about that display? I wasn’t aware that there was a replacement for the stock X1 display unit.

      #93
      Another X1 mileage report

      Non Ludi X1 with throttle removed
      40 tooth chain ring

      PAS 1 of 9 - 97% of the ride
      PAS 2 of 9 maybe about 2% of the ride
      PAS 3 of 9 maybe about 1% of the ride

      I was not sure how long this ride was so I used as little PAS as I could

      GPS said 36.92 miles - that's low
      X1 meter said 41 miles miles - that's high
      Actual mileage was 38.59 miles using a meter with actual wheel circumference entered

      Starting voltage was 53.9 volts
      Ending voltage was 47.2 volts

      Click image for larger version

Name:	CatheyCreek_475B_CoveCreek_477_Loop.png
Views:	276
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	110164

      Comment


        #94
        Hell of a ride, Good job! Though at PAS1/9 for 97% of the ride, might be better to just leave the battery and motor at home? Seems like shaving ~15 plus pounds over thousands of feet in climbing would more than make up for a couple hundred yards of 2-3 boost!

        Though you are driving me to try the 9-level boost. I have felt that level 1 of 5 almost makes up for the drag of the motor / extra weight of the bike. Though interestingly, 2 of 5 almost seems to be 'too much' if I actually want a workout on a 10+% climb - almost like it pulls the pedal around too fast and takes me a second to catch up. Overall, seems the motor/boost/sensor interaction is very complex - I keep hoping that one day there will be a way to make it more of a personalized choice!

        Can't wait till the next ride!

        Comment


          #95
          what do you think about coil shock on the back and double crown fork on the front ?
          can this luna x1 handle that much stress ?
          It would nice to find / build cross country - downhill capable machine with electric assistant.

          Comment


          • bradleyland
            bradleyland commented
            Editing a comment
            Cross country and downhill bikes are very, very different machines. XC favors hardtail for pedaling efficiency, and places a much lower emphasis on handling rough terrain (because XC courses are almost exclusively groomed trails). Downhill bikes are made for the most extreme terrain, with an emphasis on handling huge drops and big hits.

            The X-1's geometry is well set up for enduro, which means it can handle some pretty harsh technical terrain, but isn't going to feel like a complete pig on flow trails. Doing to a double crown fork would be silly. The frame geometry isn't well suited for downhill. The wheelbase is too short and the rake angle isn't nearly slack enough. You only need a double crown for the biggest hits, and you'd end up over the bars anyway, because of the unsuitable geometry.

            Coil shocks are fashionable right now, but I'm not much for trends. Metal coils are heavy, but they do offer the benefit of a more responsive shock. Question is, what's your priority? On a bike like the X-1, I'd prioritize dropping weight. A good air shock is plenty responsive for the vast majority of riders. Coil vs air shock really starts to matter when A) you're competing, and B) the bike becomes the limiting factor. Only you can answer whether or not both of those are true, but I can tell you that most of the people ranting about how they switched to a coil shock only did so because they read about it on a MTB website and are deluding themselves into believing that it made them faster.

          #96
          Originally posted by K442 View Post
          Hell of a ride, Good job! Though at PAS1/9 for 97% of the ride, might be better to just leave the battery and motor at home? Seems like shaving ~15 plus pounds over thousands of feet in climbing would more than make up for a couple hundred yards of 2-3 boost!

          Though you are driving me to try the 9-level boost. I have felt that level 1 of 5 almost makes up for the drag of the motor / extra weight of the bike. Though interestingly, 2 of 5 almost seems to be 'too much' if I actually want a workout on a 10+% climb - almost like it pulls the pedal around too fast and takes me a second to catch up. Overall, seems the motor/boost/sensor interaction is very complex - I keep hoping that one day there will be a way to make it more of a personalized choice!

          Can't wait till the next ride!
          Even level 1 of 9 is way too easy most of the time on almost level ground
          Too bad we can't configure the PAS wattage levels

          Also note I ride clipped in, not on flat pedals
          That is way more efficient than flat pedals because you are also pulling up in your pedal stokes

          Comment


            #97
            Originally posted by x111 View Post
            what do you think about coil shock on the back and double crown fork on the front ?
            can this luna x1 handle that much stress ?
            It would nice to find / build cross country - downhill capable machine with electric assistant.
            No, I like the bike the way it is
            Except for wanting to be able to program the motor like you can with other Bafang motors

            Comment


            • phatty
              phatty commented
              Editing a comment
              The coil rear shock was so much better than the stock one its ludacrious ;)

            #98
            Originally posted by EL34 View Post

            Even level 1 of 9 is way too easy most of the time on almost level ground
            Too bad we can't configure the PAS wattage levels

            Also note I ride clipped in, not on flat pedals
            That is way more efficient than flat pedals because you are also pulling up in your pedal stokes
            Ok so, I ride levels 1-9. 750w version. Flat peddles.
            Level 1 doesnt kick in any assist, like ever.
            Level 2 doesnt kick in any assist. I hear the motor occasionally, but cant see it on the display or feel it.
            Level 3 kicks in assist, I can feel it for like 1/2 second on the pedal stroke.
            Level 4 I can see it register 50-100w for short bursts of like 1/2-1 full second then back off. Its wildly inconsistent with pedal strokes and makes the bike feel jerky and not predictable in pedal pattern.
            Level 5 is perfect, smooth, pedaling feels natural and assist is great, except its way too much assist. its like 250-300w assist from the display bar.
            Level 6 is no different than 5
            Level 7 is 300-400w assist but smooth still.
            Level 8 no different from 7
            Level 9 i only use when doing throttle only.

            Im starting to think there is something wrong with my PAS/torque sensor. I expect a constant 50-100w chip in on level 3-4 with a smooth natural feeling of level 5, just less power. Basically levels 1-4 are unusable for me due to the jerky nature of power kick in, or no power kicked in at all. I end up doing my rides all in level 5 and thats capping me at about 3500-4k vertical feet and 20-25 miles. I really want level 2-4 to work so I can get that range out to 6000k vertival and 40 miles. Its that or pack a spare battery.
            Ive ridden with haibikes/levos and both are much more naturally feeling in the eco modes and usually have more battery left than I do at the end of the rides despite doing the same speeds.

            Any thoughts to try?

            Comment


              #99
              Originally posted by phatty View Post

              Ok so, I ride levels 1-9. 750w version. Flat peddles.
              Level 1 doesnt kick in any assist, like ever.
              Level 2 doesnt kick in any assist. I hear the motor occasionally, but cant see it on the display or feel it.
              Level 3 kicks in assist, I can feel it for like 1/2 second on the pedal stroke.
              Level 4 I can see it register 50-100w for short bursts of like 1/2-1 full second then back off. Its wildly inconsistent with pedal strokes and makes the bike feel jerky and not predictable in pedal pattern.
              Level 5 is perfect, smooth, pedaling feels natural and assist is great, except its way too much assist. its like 250-300w assist from the display bar.
              Level 6 is no different than 5
              Level 7 is 300-400w assist but smooth still.
              Level 8 no different from 7
              Level 9 i only use when doing throttle only.

              Im starting to think there is something wrong with my PAS/torque sensor. I expect a constant 50-100w chip in on level 3-4 with a smooth natural feeling of level 5, just less power. Basically levels 1-4 are unusable for me due to the jerky nature of power kick in, or no power kicked in at all. I end up doing my rides all in level 5 and thats capping me at about 3500-4k vertical feet and 20-25 miles. I really want level 2-4 to work so I can get that range out to 6000k vertival and 40 miles. Its that or pack a spare battery.
              Ive ridden with haibikes/levos and both are much more naturally feeling in the eco modes and usually have more battery left than I do at the end of the rides despite doing the same speeds.

              Any thoughts to try?
              There must be something wrong.
              All the assist levels work on my X1


              If level 1 did not work, you are pedaling a 50+ pound bike and that is extremely noticeable
              Set it to assist level 0, get on the bike and and start pedaling
              It should feel like a ton of work to get the bike going

              Mine does not feel that way on level One
              Level one feels way too powerful on flat ground
              I wish I could limit level one to about 50 watts

              I go to level 0 on downhills sometimes
              Then I forget that I have no assist until I start to pedal again



              Comment


                Originally posted by phatty View Post
                Any thoughts to try?
                but instead of assist,
                is it possible just turn off any assistance and use throttle when you need it ?
                like put level 0/1 and pushing throttle.


                Does anybody tried "EggRider V2 Bafang Bluetooth Display" on luna x1 ?

                .
                Last edited by x111; 07-21-2020, 09:15 AM.

                Comment


                  JimmyN
                  https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-to-seem-dead

                  And here
                  https://lunacycle.com/m600-luna-full...able-selector/

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by phatty View Post

                    Ok so, I ride levels 1-9. 750w version. Flat peddles.
                    Level 1 doesnt kick in any assist, like ever.
                    Level 2 doesnt kick in any assist. I hear the motor occasionally, but cant see it on the display or feel it.
                    Level 3 kicks in assist, I can feel it for like 1/2 second on the pedal stroke.
                    Level 4 I can see it register 50-100w for short bursts of like 1/2-1 full second then back off. Its wildly inconsistent with pedal strokes and makes the bike feel jerky and not predictable in pedal pattern.
                    Level 5 is perfect, smooth, pedaling feels natural and assist is great, except its way too much assist. its like 250-300w assist from the display bar.
                    Level 6 is no different than 5
                    Level 7 is 300-400w assist but smooth still.
                    Level 8 no different from 7
                    Level 9 i only use when doing throttle only.

                    Im starting to think there is something wrong with my PAS/torque sensor. I expect a constant 50-100w chip in on level 3-4 with a smooth natural feeling of level 5, just less power. Basically levels 1-4 are unusable for me due to the jerky nature of power kick in, or no power kicked in at all. I end up doing my rides all in level 5 and thats capping me at about 3500-4k vertical feet and 20-25 miles. I really want level 2-4 to work so I can get that range out to 6000k vertival and 40 miles. Its that or pack a spare battery.
                    Ive ridden with haibikes/levos and both are much more naturally feeling in the eco modes and usually have more battery left than I do at the end of the rides despite doing the same speeds.

                    Any thoughts to try?
                    My bike is exactly the same. And i've been reading this thread and watching EL34's videos for months now wondering how in the heck this guy is on this bike with PAS 1 of 9 and able to climb anything. PAS 1 of 9 on my bike basically is shut off assist. My levels feel exactly as you described. I have the upgraded 860C display but mine is plugged in correctly. My only thoughts are either the Ludi programming does something in the assist logic or the clipless pedals are making a SIGNIFICANT amount of difference in the torque registered by the sensor. I've got about 2000 miles on my X1 (got it mid May) and it's been this way from new.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by da3dalus View Post

                      My bike is exactly the same. And i've been reading this thread and watching EL34's videos for months now wondering how in the heck this guy is on this bike with PAS 1 of 9 and able to climb anything. PAS 1 of 9 on my bike basically is shut off assist. My levels feel exactly as you described. I have the upgraded 860C display but mine is plugged in correctly. My only thoughts are either the Ludi programming does something in the assist logic or the clipless pedals are making a SIGNIFICANT amount of difference in the torque registered by the sensor. I've got about 2000 miles on my X1 (got it mid May) and it's been this way from new.
                      Something has to be wrong with the PAS on your bike?
                      When I use level 1 of 9 I can watch the wattage being added on my meter
                      It jumps up as much as 200+ watts sometimes on level one
                      Level one has too much assist on my non Ludi X1

                      Comment


                        Sorry if you already answered it somewhere in the thread EL34, but your BB-Seat measurement is very close to mine which makes sense as we have the same approximate inseam. The X-1 looks like a pretty large geometry, so I'm thinking at 5' 8" I'm probably OK on a small? When I compare the geometry to my custom 29ers, it actually has a little more top tube than mine typically do.

                        I'm thinking of doing the standard (Non-Ludicrous) with the quiet gear. I have about 8 miles each way of greenway (rail-trail conversion) to a great local singletrack loop that is just under 18 miles long - total round trip of 34-ish miles. Would be great to have enough range and power to ride there, run a loop and ride home. The Ludicrous mode sounds like it doesn't give good pedal assist resolution and might hurt range since you may want to use "too much" sometimes.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by da3dalus View Post

                          My bike is exactly the same. And i've been reading this thread and watching EL34's videos for months now wondering how in the heck this guy is on this bike with PAS 1 of 9 and able to climb anything. PAS 1 of 9 on my bike basically is shut off assist. My levels feel exactly as you described. I have the upgraded 860C display but mine is plugged in correctly. My only thoughts are either the Ludi programming does something in the assist logic or the clipless pedals are making a SIGNIFICANT amount of difference in the torque registered by the sensor. I've got about 2000 miles on my X1 (got it mid May) and it's been this way from new.
                          I also got mine in mid-may so I am thinking there is something not right with this shipment. Im only up to 300 miles
                          The end result is that you either have 400+ watts or nothing. Its kind of frustrating for longer trips.
                          Do you run in sport or eco mode on your 860c controller?

                          I tried climbing in level 3-4 this last weekend and found that if I absolutely mashed the pedals it would kick in some assist. But the energy i was spending to stomp the pedels I would be better off on my regular xc bike getting more power per stroke vs my heavy ebike.
                          Wondering if the clipless just help pull so much that the torque sensor sends in its signal. I hate riding clipped in though.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X