No announcement yet.

Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, I hate riding flats! Maybe like EL I've been riding clipped in for so long it just feels natural but without question, you deliver a more constant torque to the crank shaft when spinning properly clipped in.

Comment

Originally posted by phatty View Post

I also got mine in mid-may so I am thinking there is something not right with this shipment. Im only up to 300 miles
      The end result is that you either have 400+ watts or nothing. Its kind of frustrating for longer trips.
      Do you run in sport or eco mode on your 860c controller?

I tried climbing in level 3-4 this last weekend and found that if I absolutely mashed the pedals it would kick in some assist. But the energy i was spending to stomp the pedels I would be better off on my regular xc bike getting more power per stroke vs my heavy ebike.
      Wondering if the clipless just help pull so much that the torque sensor sends in its signal. I hate riding clipped in though.
      Level 3/9 on steep climbs is almost no effort on my X1.
      Level 4 is way too much assist on my X1 and the tires will spin out on roots and rocks

Clipless pedals are great, but something does not sound right about your X1 to me?

Comment

Makes me wonder if there are problems on a lot of M600 motors. I've heard so many people say levels 1 and 2 of 5 they feel nothing. Same on mine. I have tried setting for 9 levels, and I can feel some power in level 5 or above only. At that 5 is barely nothing. Level 6 is too much for flat lands. When set to 5 levels I do hear the motor pulse on and off when running on level 2. It's annoying. Level 3 keeps the motor spooling but it's too much power for the flats. I suppose if I were constantly climbing up hill in a bit higher gear it might keep the pedals loaded and thus keep the motor turning for the full pedal stroke on setting 2 of 5.

Comment

Maybe something is wrong - my MPH died the other day on a ride and Luna is sending me a new speed sensor. If that doesn't fix it it may lean towards a larger issue with the M600 unit. I ride pretty gnarly climbs and trails and i'm always on Level 5. Level 4 or below isn't consistent enough with the power delivery it gets a bit dangerous. Level 6 if i'm on a paved bike path or something just cruising.

I'll report back if the new speed sensor changes anything.

Other possibility... EL34 is actually an olympic athlete pretending to be an older gentleman and making us look like a bunch of pansy's. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by da3dalus View Post
            Maybe something is wrong - my MPH died the other day on a ride and Luna is sending me a new speed sensor. If that doesn't fix it it may lean towards a larger issue with the M600 unit. I ride pretty gnarly climbs and trails and i'm always on Level 5. Level 4 or below isn't consistent enough with the power delivery it gets a bit dangerous. Level 6 if i'm on a paved bike path or something just cruising.

Other possibility... EL34 is actually an olympic athlete pretending to be an older gentleman and making us look like a bunch of pansy's. ;)
            I have a Non Ludi X1
            So I am wondering if most of these issues are with Ludi X1's?

Comment

• phatty
              phatty commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine is a non ludi.

Mine is Non-Ludi....

Comment

Originally posted by kengps View Post
              Mine is Non-Ludi....
              What date did you get yours?
              Mine arrived here on October 31st, 2019

Just curious about which batch of bikes yours came from
              Mine was from batch #2

Comment

• kengps
                kengps commented
                Editing a comment
                My M600 is in a Luna BABE. Delivered in March 2020 as I recall??

Another key factor would be what everyone is running for a front chain ring. I'm not sure everyone mentioned it - or if they did, I certainly lost track in the reading. Obviously the bike was tuned with the 32T ring it comes with. Then, the first mod for a lot of people is to trash that and throw on a 38-40T - effectively changing the motor output to the wheel by 20%. I would expect that could introduce some variability in the feel/performance of the tuning?

Comment

• phatty
                phatty commented
                Editing a comment
                Im running 38t, I dont think thats the culprit, my bet is faulty torque sensor/speed sensor

• kengps
                kengps commented
                Editing a comment
                Not gonna make a difference. Sure the front chain ring is 20% different. But then at a given speed/cadence you would be running a lower gear in back, so it's a wash.

Originally posted by K442 View Post
              Another key factor would be what everyone is running for a front chain ring. I'm not sure everyone mentioned it - or if they did, I certainly lost track in the reading. Obviously the bike was tuned with the 32T ring it comes with. Then, the first mod for a lot of people is to trash that and throw on a 38-40T - effectively changing the motor output to the wheel by 20%. I would expect that could introduce some variability in the feel/performance of the tuning?
              40 tooth ring on my X1

Comment

This is exactly what I do. Steep techy mtn trails.
                6 and above is way too much, 4 and below are worthless. I run in 5 everywhere because i need consistent assist.
                Perhaps its time to get Luna on the phone and get some parts shipped.

I ordered my bike in April 2020 and got it in May 2020. XL, 750w version. Running 38T. I run in the ECO mode and levels 1-9.
                It has to be a faulty torque sensor or something...

I need to go pro its behavior, but hard to do when you dont own one :(

Comment

6 and above is way too much, 4 and below are worthless. I run in 5 everywhere because i need consistent assist.

I ordered my bike in April 2020 and got it in May 2020. XL, 750w version. Running 38T. I run in the ECO mode and levels 1-9.

Yeah, sounds like something is definitely wrong based on how different my X1 assist performs compared to yours.

Comment

I'm running the 40T (and most of the other upgrades EL34 outlined in this thread - thanks EL34!). I run it in ECO mode as from what I can tell the 860C resets it to ECO each time you power cycle the bike so even if you put it in Sport the minute you turn it off you'd have to dive back into the menu, input the code, then put it back into Sport. Sooo instead of wasting 3 minutes of my life each time I just leave it in ECO. I might break out the old go pro and try and record the behavior. Never occurred to me this was anything other than normal operation (still not convinced this isn't normal but hard to know without anything else to compare against).

Comment

I'm running the 40T (and most of the other upgrades EL34 outlined in this thread - thanks EL34!). I run it in ECO mode as from what I can tell the 860C resets it to ECO each time you power cycle the bike so even if you put it in Sport the minute you turn it off you'd have to dive back into the menu, input the code, then put it back into Sport. Sooo instead of wasting 3 minutes of my life each time I just leave it in ECO. I might break out the old go pro and try and record the behavior. Never occurred to me this was anything other than normal operation (still not convinced this isn't normal but hard to know without anything else to compare against).
                      Hmm, I don't know because I always wanted mine to be in Eco mode, so I never messed with setting it.

Comment

Got my carbon wheels yesterday. For any weight conscious readers just thought I would mention another great weight savings upgrade that is still relatively inexpensive. The SRAM PG-1230 cassette weighs 624g but is only 100.00. The cheapest XG SRAM Cassette (GX) is $225.00 and is 450g. I wanted to keep the PG drivers and cheaper cassettes as I do wear out my cassettes. I wasn't aware of this product but I just picked one up to install. SunRace makes a SRAM compatible 12 speed PG cassette called the MZ90. It retails for 10.00 more than the PG-1230 (110.00) but weighs in at 542g. If you're replacing a worn out cassette or upgrading the carbon wheels and want a new cassette I think for the extra 10 bucks it's a superb option to save 82g of weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FW2184_be871aac-112e-44a3-a50d-24f10bf4a168_x1024.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	111080
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	FW2184-01_x1024.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	111081

Comment

Got my carbon wheels yesterday. For any weight conscious readers just thought I would mention another great weight savings upgrade that is still relatively inexpensive. The SRAM PG-1230 cassette weighs 624g but is only 100.00. The cheapest XG SRAM Cassette (GX) is $225.00 and is 450g. I wanted to keep the PG drivers and cheaper cassettes as I do wear out my cassettes. I wasn't aware of this product but I just picked one up to install. SunRace makes a SRAM compatible 12 speed PG cassette called the MZ90. It retails for 10.00 more than the PG-1230 (110.00) but weighs in at 542g. If you're replacing a worn out cassette or upgrading the carbon wheels and want a new cassette I think for the extra 10 bucks it's a superb option to save 82g of weight.
                          The el-cheapo PG-1210 SX cassette that came with my X1 is 612 grams.
                          If you can find the SX cassettes, it is way cheaper than NX
                          Here's one priced in Euro's at 64.75
                          https://www.gambacicli.com/en/sram-p...-cassette.html

That's $76 in dollars

Not sure I would pay $110 - $76 = $34 to save 70 grams?

But if I can't find another SX cassette, I will have to I guess

Comment

Working...
                          X