No announcement yet.

Shaving weight off my Luna X1 and other X1 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't find any PG-1210's stateside. Your link is in Europe and charges an additional 21.00 in shipping. So 86.00 EUR is 101.00 USD at current exchange rates. Ie. the PG1230 is still your cheapest bet. There were some on Aliexpress for 76.00 + 30.00 in shipping so the 1230 was still cheaper (or the MZ90).

Comment

Originally posted by da3dalus View Post
      I couldn't find any PG-1210's stateside. Your link is in Europe and charges an additional 21.00 in shipping. So 86.00 EUR is 101.00 USD at current exchange rates. Ie. the PG1230 is still your cheapest bet. There were some on Aliexpress for 76.00 + 30.00 in shipping so the 1230 was still cheaper (or the MZ90).
      Looks like it's PG1230's then

Or how about this Sunrace MZ903Black version is $77
      https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...30135387291682

Last edited by EL34; 08-02-2020, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Just so everyone knows, the X1 comes with PG1230 which is the nx cassette. It does NOT come with the PG1210 SX cassette. Also, the sunrace csmz80 can be had for $60 on eBay right now...

Comment

Originally posted by GGnAZ View Post
          Just so everyone knows, the X1 comes with PG1230 which is the nx cassette. It does NOT come with the PG1210 SX cassette. Also, the sunrace csmz80 can be had for $60 on eBay right now...
          This is what is says on the Luna web site
          Sx is this cassette PG1210 SX cassette

SX is OEM group
          https://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountai...levancy&page=1
          • Rockshox Debonair Yari 160mm
          • Rockshox Monarch 200mm in Rear
          • Sram SX Eagle 12 speed cassette (standard PG driver, not the XD from SRAM)
          • Sram Guide 4 piston hydraulic brakes 200mm front 180mm back (6 bolts rotors)
          • Maxxis Minion 27.5”x2.8" tires
          • Double wall alloy 40mm 27.5" rims
          • Dropper seat-post with internal routing
          • All cables throughout the bike are internally run
          • Thru-axle hubs in both front and rear 15x110 Boost front, 12x148 Boost rear (Length 180mm, 1.75 pitch)
          Last edited by EL34; 08-02-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• GGnAZ
            GGnAZ commented
            Editing a comment
            My X1 delivered in December 2019 came with a PG1230.

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

Looks like it's PG1230's then

Or how about this Sunrace MZ903Black version is $77
          https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...30135387291682

Good find! Looks like it's lighter than the MZ90 as well?

Comment

I ran this cassette on a build I did last year. Its 340g and ran awesome and was around $100. Currently unavailable though. :(
            https://www.amazon.com/Ztto-Lightwei...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Comment

Originally posted by phatty View Post
            I ran this cassette on a build I did last year. Its 340g and ran awesome and was around $100. Currently unavailable though. :(
            https://www.amazon.com/Ztto-Lightwei...ef_=ast_sto_dp
            Thanks for the links
            I ordered a black 11-50 on Ali
            Says it will arrive about a month from now
            That will be just about right as I planned on changing it out at the one year mark.

Comment

• phatty
              phatty commented
              Editing a comment
              I ordered the whole ZTTO drivetrain. The derailleur was absolute garbage, I ended up going to gx for it. The cranks, BB, chain, cassette all worked perfectly though and was ultra light pro (ULT Pro) stuff from ZTTO (like xx eagle weights). Some people had issues backpeddling on the early versions of the 11-50 but mine didnt. started with a 2015 intense tracer frame, put all the components and some carbon wheels and ended up around 23.5lbs for a 160mm travel bike. it was pretty damn sweet. but it was a large frame and just too small for me. Should have just kept it for friends to ride. Made some good money on it though. My orignal plan was to put a cyc x1 (3000w) on it with a backpack battery, but too many issues with version 1 of cyc motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_093928.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	111307 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_093912.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	111308 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_094043.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	111309 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_093957.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	111310

Comment

I know EL34 and others have swapped to a carbon wheelset. EL's weight must include tires and cassette, discs, etc. Anybody have a stripped wheelset weight for the stock wheels on the X-1?

Makes sense that a 40mm carbon wheelset should have clearance as that's what the reported spec of the stock wheels is - I'm guessing a 42mm wheel would also work OK, unless the tires are SUPER tight to the rear triangle? Gotta imagine there's plenty of room on the fork.

Comment

• eskachig
                eskachig commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the *internal* width is more important than the outer dimensions here. From what I've been able to gether, the internal width of the 40mm rims that come with the bike is 36mm. I've got carbon rims coming with a 38mm width, hope they fit all right. Both the bike and the wheels still haven't been shipped yet, so I'm holding my fingers crossed here.

• Desmodromic
                Desmodromic commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a fair point, the internal width that the bead sits up against will control the inflated overall width. Have to believe that there's a few mm clearance (at least) on either side of the tire. You only need 1mm / side for those. I was looking at the Yoeleo wheelsets and they have a 42mm (outer) rim that has a 36mm inside width, so those should be fine if the factory rims really are 36mm inside.

I have the stock wheel weights
              Weights are with the rims strips but no axles

Front wheel - 1485 grams
              Rear wheel - 1715 grams

My carbon wheels - 40mm rims
              Front wheel - 842 grams
              Rear wheel - 959 grams

Note that I re-used the stock tires and axles
              I went tubeless with Stan's on the carbon wheel set

Comment

Ahh, perfect! Thanks! A fellow nerd after my own heart! LOL

Stan's is the best. If I make the swap, I'll do the same for sure. Better roll with tubeless and Stan's has always worked great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmodromic View Post
                  Ahh, perfect! Thanks! A fellow nerd after my own heart! LOL

Stan's is the best. If I make the swap, I'll do the same for sure. Better roll with tubeless and Stan's has always worked great for me.
                  The stock X1 tires were tubeless ready.
                  They grab my carbon rims and won't let go.
                  The rims I bought don't have the normal bead, which I was concerned about when I first saw them.
                  I forget what they call these new fangled rims without the bead?

But the combo has been awesome so far.
                  I even slammed the front rims hard into a square edged rock and pinched the tire, but the rims were perfect.
                  I now have a tire plug in the front tire that has been there for about 6 months
                  Stan's sealed the tire plug hole and is working great

I do recommend people carry a tire plug kit with them
                  I have a couple of these tiny plug kits and they have worked great
                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B139BA0/

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21863.png
Views:	195
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	111429

Comment

Yeah, I think that standard you're thinking of might be Hookless? I think that's the successor to UST, which was the earlier 'hooked' bead standard. Good call on the plug kit, and I think thats probably most appropriate with these "tubeless ready" tires as they have a thicker carcass both at the sidewall and the tread face compared to the paper-thin sidewall construction of traditional "tubed" MTB tires.

Comment

Anybody out there happen to have a Small frame? Based on the top tube length, it's the right one for me but I run a long-ish seatpost so I'm trying to figure out the max length and min insertion of the dropper to see if it will work for me or if I'd need to work out an alternate dropper post. I could always just run a fixed post too and save some weight, I've never owned a dropper.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmodromic View Post
                        Anybody out there happen to have a Small frame? Based on the top tube length, it's the right one for me but I run a long-ish seatpost so I'm trying to figure out the max length and min insertion of the dropper to see if it will work for me or if I'd need to work out an alternate dropper post. I could always just run a fixed post too and save some weight, I've never owned a dropper.
                        I didn't think Luna made small X1's?
                        I have wanted to recommend X1's to some lady friends but couldn't because there were never any small's on the web site

Comment

Working...
                        X