Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just took delivery of BBSHD, and there's this metal placard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just took delivery of BBSHD, and there's this metal placard...

The metal placard - on this small oblong plastic box - says "Please start a build thread." I'm going to be a while starting, as I need to finish assembling the workstand first - that, and save up for a large triangle-shaped battery. Luna has one, but it and a charger is likely to be 1100+ shipped - so figure June before I get it!

Numb/Dumb question: since I plan on securing "the largest battery that I can fit in the frame" - the 28 AH version Luna sells, or its em3ev equivalent - will I have "decent" (whatever that means) range? I do not plan on going over ~ 15-17 mph as a rule - that rule being broken in an emergency, as in "some driver wants a hood ornament, and I look likely."
    Last edited by dennis_young; 03-09-2020, 01:34 PM. Reason: Afterthought question

Hey Dennis welcome to the forum!

Sure you would have fantastic range with a battery that size. I use 28ah on my bike and honestly it is overkill most of the time. Though I do find the older I get the more I enjoy using pedal assist instead, which is already super on range, especially when combined with the Limitless profile. And if you are going less than 20mph you will have so little wind resistance a 28ah pack would probably last well over 50 miles.

Comment

Well, finally finished the stand early this month - 2nd, I think - and just got the bike "done" today.

Comment

Well, finally finished the stand early this month - 2nd, I think - and just got the bike "done" today.

Comment

Making any progress? Looking at your shop photos it doesn't seem like you have enough projects going on at one time, I can still see bench top in places. Mine you can never see open bench, they are always completely covered with something. To work efficiently you need to work Jenga style where you start stacking boxes on trash cans and other boxes. See how high a stack you can get.

Did you decide on a battery yet? Its the suspension and step through people that have issues fitting things. I'm just running a Wolf pack and generally do 20 miles comfortably with pedaling. And by comfortably I mean not having to pedal that hard and usually still having one green bar showing on the display when i get home. If I try to do more pedaling and less throttle I can get to 30 but experience a lot of range anxiety and sometimes only red bars left on the meter. Shortest I have ever got is about 12 but that was higher speeds mostly throttle. You do have to be careful with how big a load you put on the battery when it gets on the low side. The natural sag from a heavy load can cause either the controller low volt or even battery BMS to cut out. That doesn't happen at higher levels. Can be really annoying if your home base is at the top of a hill.

Comment

...yeah, i'm new at this shit my own self but i just built my first ebike about a month ago with a Voilamart front hub motor with a 17.5 ah rack mounted battery on a shitbox steel framed huffy single speed cruiser bike, i think the bitch weighs close to a hundred pounds, lol.

...anyway, i built this bike as my main transportation and i ride it throttle only as i am still recovering from major cancer surgery and i cannot peddle, with that said i average around 20mph and top out on a flat at 28mph and the relaxed way i ride gives me approx. 20 -30 miles of range. (at this point in my recovery i weigh in at just 145lbs, down from my pre-surgery weight of 185)

...btw, while i love Luna products they are too rich for my blood so i got my battery/rack on ebay for $465.00.

peace, SOG

Comment

Originally posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
              ...yeah, i'm new at this shit my own self but i just built my first ebike about a month ago with a Voilamart front hub motor with a 17.5 ah rack mounted battery on a shitbox steel framed huffy single speed cruiser bike, i think the bitch weighs close to a hundred pounds, lol.

...anyway, i built this bike as my main transportation and i ride it throttle only as i am still recovering from major cancer surgery and i cannot peddle, with that said i average around 20mph and top out on a flat at 28mph and the relaxed way i ride gives me approx. 20 -30 miles of range. (at this point in my recovery i weigh in at just 145lbs, down from my pre-surgery weight of 185)

...btw, while i love Luna products they are too rich for my blood so i got my battery/rack on ebay for $465.00.

peace, SOG
              Love the bike ..... especially the red tires! So, $475 includes the battery, controller and the front hub motor?

Comment

Originally posted by canis View Post

Love the bike ..... especially the red tires! So, $475 includes the battery, controller and the front hub motor?
                ...yeah man, sorry for the confusion but no, the battery and the rack it mounts to was $465.00 by itself, the front hub motor kit, including controller, throttle, etc, was just under $170.00 and the Huffy bicycle was $198.00 so my total out-of-pocket was $733.00.

...the tires i took off another bike i had with a dead, at least to me lol, 2stroke motor kit on it, the ebike has been WAY more reliable!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0072a.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	116564

peace, SOG

Comment

Electric can take the fun out of things unless you are one of those weirdos that just likes to ride. I learned that with golf carts. Electric just works with very minimal care. Gas well sometimes they are happy and sometimes not and don't like the cold that much and get mad if they sit too long and and and.

Comment

...yeah, the 2stroke was a blast but unreliable and with the current state of my health, the 2stroke was not possible.

...even now, nearly a year and a half after surgery i am still 40+ pounds under weight and too weak to peddle across the freekin road, lol.

...so the electric bike is for me and gets me out and about without beating me up too much.

peace, SOG

Comment

Originally posted by dennis_young View Post
                      I don't know about everyone else but I want you to start a thread about that stand. I can see enough to know there is some in the back. It looks like something I might want to build. More details please.

Comment

Working...
                      X