Sun EZ-1 Rider SX Recumbent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun EZ-1 Rider SX Recumbent

Is there anyone on this forum who has converted a Sun EZ-1 Rider SX recumbent with a Bafang 1500 watt mid-drive? I am a nubie to e-bikes & conversions and would like to convert my Sun EZ-1 Rider SX to an e-bike. It's very intimidating & could use some help.
    Bob Dicus

Welcome to the forums.

I poked around and see that your bike has a pretty short distance from stem-to-cranks, so you would need to mock things up and make sure the motor will fit in the space. Sure does look like it would fit, though. There is lots of room to fit the controller, and battery nearby too. I think it would be a pretty easy install. Compatible brake levers can be an issue, but if you convert to disk up front (you really should) you can just buy an e-bike compatible setup. Although you would need to also modify, or replace the forks to run a disk in front.

Are you just new to modding in the e-bike world, or is making your own "stuff" outside your wheel house?

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I am a complete newby. I am not afraid of trying something new and have some mechanical skill. I could use any help I could get. Finding specs on the EZ Rider have been a challenge.
      Bob Dicus

Comment

I am new to modding in the e-bike world, and making my own "stuff" is somewhat outside my wheel house? I'm a quick learner but a visual learner.
        Bob Dicus

Comment

If you can't find a disk compatible fork that fits, you could always buy a compatible wheel with disk, mount it up, and have a shop weld on lugs to attach the caliper.

As long as you can figure out how to bolt stuff on with some simple bracketing and a bit of creativity, a Bafang build seems quite doable for most folks.

Jose

Comment

rdicus7, I am a newby at the electric bike thing, but I too am considering building a BBSHD powered trike. My old trike is a Sun EZ-3 and I was fortunate to stumble on the thread of this forum that shows a conversion very similar to what I intend. I haven't yet plunged in with money, but I've got most of the project mapped out in my head.

Good luck with yours. I've joined the forum and expect that I'll need input from the veteran forum members. And where I can I'll try to contribute...

Comment

Can one replace stock fork with a suspension fork with disk brakes?

Comment

Hmmmmm....... Your fork runs a 16" wheel. I poked around, and found that somebody actually makes a 16" fork that fits a disk brake.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2917747bTno94b

There is also company called Oset that also sells a 16" fork for electric dirt bikes. That might be a better (if more expensive) option.
                https://www.kingcobraofflorida.com/p...BoCyD0QAvD_BwE

In looking at options, you would have to contact that manufacturer and ask about headtube dimensions though.

Jose

Comment

Originally posted by rdicus7 View Post
                  Can one replace stock fork with a suspension fork with disk brakes?
                  If, like mine, your bike has underseat steering the replacement of the front fork gets more complex. But if your trike has those long handlebars that attach directly to the front fork stem then this isn't an issue.

I'm still working on my trike. Kind of a basement escape from the coronavirus lockdown. My motor is ready to be installed. I'm working on re-routing the steering linkage to go around the motor. And my battery is ready to be installed. Have spent much of the past month hunting and gathering "stuff" that I'll need to get the assembly done. Soon all that will be left is to go get it done.

Check out the following link for some good visuals

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...un-ez-3-usx-hd

Comment

Working...
                  X