Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all, going to build my electric MTB

Hi all!

I stumbled on this forum while searching for a e MTB frame . Figured I'd join and see what folks are building these days!

I originally was planning on building up my Surly Karate Monkey with a Bafang BBSHD kit . But the max changring the KM frame will allow is smaller than the chainring the Bafang kit uses, and I didn't want to build a super torquey wheel machine!

So now I'm hoping to find a bike frame with an integrated motor and battery and then swap all my components over from the KM .

I've found some frames on Alibaba and eBay but I'm not sure I trust the cheap Chinese manufacturers. Any one ever try one of those?
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​Has anyone used the Bafang Ultra M620 motor? Seems like a solid choice .

welcome CharlesM99 to the forum from NorCal. If you like the bike you have, put a bbshd in it and get smiling! You do not need that big chain ring that comes with it. I bought a smaller Luna offset sprocket, then I bought a Mity Mini sprocket and it's perfect. Speed went from just over 30mph to just under 30 mph. And 30mph is too fast anyway. With the bbshd you don't have to shift much, I just leave it in 4th or and go cruzin, sometimes 2d for a serious hillclimb. I programed mine to a very slow initial start (study programing here on the site) and who needs to shift much? build it! get smiling! Happy Motoring e-rod

Comment

Ok, thanks for that advise. I'll have to reconsider doing the kit.

Although I do really like the idea & look of the battery integrated into the frame

Comment

While the integrated ones do look nice, it is also a curse. You are fixed in to only using specific components that are usually more expensive. You CAN make a BBSHD install look just as good as ANY integrated frame. Here is my build for a case and point. The "Ruffian" is a $6000 500W ebike with a max speed of 28mph and distance of 60 miles(and thats bull, more like 40). MY build is 3000W and cost $2300, looks nearly identical, top speed 48mph, distance of 80-100miles!!!!!!! Plus mine has GPS tracking, alarm, headlight, turn and stop signals, hidden dash cam in front and rear, dual 14s6p high current packs, bluetooth music, and locks/ unlocks BBSHD only when my phone is detected on the phone mount built onto and wired into the bike electrics. Dont cut yourself short. This was my FIRST build and I knew nothing before starting. All the info you could need is in this forum. Now here are the two bikes. The 6k Ruffian and Mine:

Comment

Yeah ok fair play. Looks like a nice build .
          Did you DIY the battery pack?
          I figure with a DIY battery I could probably make it look pretty nice .

Comment

• Defjr333
            Defjr333 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dual 14s5p 50A continuous, 80A peak battery packs. One resides in each saddlebag. They are combined inside the tank to make it 14s10p 100A cont, 160A peak capable. No shortage of juice for the BBSHD with the Ludicrous controller. Send that through a Sturmey Archer 8spd IGH with a range of 325%, and it is truly one fun street bike. Packs are 2 of these:
            https://lunacycle.com/52v-12-5ah-sam...ah-high-power/
            Designing packs is much harder than one would think. Trying to maximize space for more cells based on shape, AND best/ shortest electron path is too much a headache for me. Just reinforce the saddlebags with some metal and sturdy mounts, and your good. Only 8lbs or so in each.

Forgot to include pic with saddlebags on it and all finished.

Comment

WoW, just WOW. That is a cool e-bike! Great job, and What!!! 2300$? with cameras front and back, bluetooth music etc. Such a clean look too. W need to see a build thread! Maybe its on here, I'll look. Charles M99 and I need to check that out. Happy Motoring, e-rod

Comment

• Defjr333
              Defjr333 commented
              Editing a comment
              Build thread is "To build a better Ruffian..."

Yeah nice, that bike does look great! I'll have to look through your build to get parts list to see how you managed all that.
            I love the idea of locking/unlocking the bike from the phone location, and having GPS on the bike seems like a great idea for security.

Comment

I would go for the Ultra. I already have a fatbike with an Ultra and just ordered another e-mtb Fullsus frame.
              The Ultra is superstrong and the torque sensing is nice.
              Attached Files

Comment

So with the ultra, did you have to have the frame cut, and weld the ultra motor case in?

Comment

No, these frames are made for the Bafang Ultra.
                  My Fatbike build thread:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-fatbike-build

My new project will be an e-mtb bike with a Bafang Ultra

http://www.salto-bike.com/ecp_view.asp?id=653

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019070222223153011.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	109153

Comment

Working...
                  X