Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBSHD chopper build(er) stumbling into a Sur Ron X...so new-ish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD chopper build(er) stumbling into a Sur Ron X...so new-ish?

These forums have provided a lot of guidance in my own building over the last year but I have only got the nerve to join in since ordering a Sur Ron X this week.

While ebikes and the skeletons of ebikes have been accumulating in my garage over the past few years, my main ride of late is an 2002 Schwinn OCC Chopper frame that has been lengthened to accommodate the 17.5Ah 'touring' battery that powers a BBSHD. The Blue Beast seen here is my first build that can course up the hills near my home with ease and grace (and I toyed with gasoline for a couple of years there.) I experimented with all manner of rear wheel before settling on a custom 24" x 4" rim sporting a 5-speed sprocket which I can dial in courtesy of a manual derailleur and a plan to install a matching 24" wheel on the front end...just waiting until that double-shouldered, super-wide suspension fork to arrive. We have been well into the 30's a few times but I want more suspension and better brakes on this machine before I attempt to go faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectricStingRayBBSHD_17_5Ah_q3-2020_redux2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	116455

The sheer power and speed of the BBSHD revamped my passion for electric and tweaked my adrenaline gland all in one fell swoop. The search for more velocity led me into the desert where I have done things with a few souped-up mountain bike builds that I would have never before thought possible. Those collective experiences led me down the path to the Sur Ron X. I will pick my machine up next week and I only hope I can sleep between now and then...

one potential thought--after searching the forums I have a few questions I intend to push to the Sur Ron crowd regarding the bike and California OHV usage but as that category likely includes other ebikes/ecraft, I thought I might leave that query here as well.

Looks like a fun ride. To complete the sting ray look you need the smaller front wheel with maybe a hub motor to resemble the drum brake (and go faster).

Comment

Cool shifter.
      "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

Years ago I had a 26" Mongoose D40R mountain bike with a downhill suspension fork that would have been perfect for that Schwinn Chopper. Though I'm not sure it could have taken a disk brake.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbender6 View Post
          Cool shifter.
          shifter and frame extenders all handiwork of Jim at pedalchopper.com. He is partially responsible for those 24" wheels as well so I may be hitting him up for something for the Sur Ron soon enough...

Comment

Jim is mostly a reseller. He does not produce those parts. I have a occ myself. where your at with your chopper these days?

i also have those frame extenders ($66 eBay)
            here’s my work in progress:

Comment

Working...
            X