Ron/spinningmagnets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron/spinningmagnets

Hello everyone. I grew up in Southern California, and joined the US Navy as a mechanic on a submarine for four years. I've also operated heavy equipment and dump trucks for a few years along the way. I am currently a water plant operator in Kansas.

I've always liked mechanical things, and history. When my son was ready to go to college, he got too many speeding tickets and lost his license for a year, and decided to join the Army, because...he couldn't stand the thought of going to college without a car.

That's what got me investigating ebikes (before I knew he was going to enlist, I thought he was still going to go to college on an ebike). I started reading and posting on endless-sphere, and when Eric started electricbike.com, I offered to spell-check. I started collecting info to write articles, and now here I am...
    Electric bike buyers guide, with unbiased and honest reports and detailed analyses of all the latest and fastest ebikes, conversion kits and hub motors.

What's up Ron! Great seeing people I already know from other sites :cool:

Comment

Yeah, me too! I think having a site for Luna-specific customers will really cut down on Luna customers posting in endless-sphere, and since I am also a moderator over there, I am privy to discussions where Luna posters are viewed with skepticism, since some posts can be viewed as a subtle form of spam. This forum will never replace endless-sphere, nor should it. However it is going to very useful for Luna customers who don't want to wade through a 50-page ES thread to get an answer about a Luna product.

Comment

I am happy to see a familiar face!

Comment

Thanks, but the pic is from my "winter mode", and I just shaved off the beard, so...if someone is trying to hunt me down, I look a little different now.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
            Yeah, me too! I think having a site for Luna-specific customers will really cut down on Luna customers posting in endless-sphere, and since I am also a moderator over there, I am privy to discussions where Luna posters are viewed with skepticism, since some posts can be viewed as a subtle form of spam. This forum will never replace endless-sphere, nor should it. However it is going to very useful for Luna customers who don't want to wade through a 50-page ES thread to get an answer about a Luna product.
            Spinning Magnets,

I realize that ES is a pretty sophisticated user group, and I try not to bother them with my 'kit newbie' questions, out of respect. That's why I love having the dedicated support forum here.

About Luna posters and the spam comment: I cross posted a subset of my BBSHD build over on ES, to share it there. I started my learning on that site, and already had a dialog with some of the members there, so I followed up there. I did reference Luna fairly prominently in that post. Was doing so in poor form, on my part? I hope not, I'd hate to contribute to any negative perspective towards Luna Cycle customers! Actually, that's where I learned of Luna Cycles in the first place.

I got all the parts from Luna Cycles, and tech support, so I put the build thread here out of loyalty to the Luna Cycles team. I figured it has some value, for which Luna was partly responsible, so I put it here as an asset for Luna, so to speak.

I will remove my Luna reference/endorsement from my ES post, if it is detrimental in any way.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

LOL, no...posting your enthusiasm for your new ebike isn't just acceptable on ES, it's quite normal. It's just that Erics Luna store is fairly new, and some ES readers may be suspicious that you are not really a luna customer, but maybe you are a friend of erics, trying to shill for the luna store. The Luna stores best salesmen are their customers, and ES posters are more used to reading complaints..

Comment

Ha, great, glad to hear it. Thanks for the social interpretation.

BTW, I've learned a bunch from you over there, too. Wonderful seeing you here - you seem to be one of the more prolific ebike writers in the world, between Electricbike.com and ES, and now, I suppose, here. And I like your style. Always gentlemanly, with great technical observations. Real nice to know ya.

Submarine mechanic, and now water plant operator. You must really hate leaks! I'm a cooling systems guy; so do I. But the ones I sometimes deal with can't drown me!
                Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks, it's always nice to get some positive feedback (or any feedback at all!). I volunteered for submarines because it was a extra $100 a month in pay. The water plant work is boring, but it's stable. There is a shortage of workers because you have to test to get a license (since it involves public health), and few people want to work the hours. We run 24/7, so somebody has to take their turn working nights and weekends. That gives me lots of time to read, and now I have a smart-phone, so I can respond to forum questions when I am caught up on my duties.

I am polite and friendly in public, but...in private I am cynical and bitter old man.

Comment

Hello everyone. I grew up in Southern California, and joined the US Navy as a mechanic on a submarine for four years. I've also operated heavy equipment and dump trucks for a few years along the way. I am currently a water plant operator in Kansas.

I've always liked mechanical things, and history. When my son was ready to go to college, he got too many speeding tickets and lost his license for a year, and decided to join the Army, because...he couldn't stand the thought of going to college without a car.

That's what got me investigating ebikes (before I knew he was going to enlist, I thought he was still going to go to college on an ebike). I started reading and posting on endless-sphere, and when Eric started electricbike.com, I offered to spell-check. I started collecting info to write articles, and now here I am...
                    Your son was losing a license for a year - it isn't bad. Because he was going the college. And the college is the most important thing.

Comment

You are going to cover Interbike. Get us all excited about the article you will write.

Up here we drive snow removal equipment because you don't need a licence. That is why you will see a loader parked in front of the bar.

Comment

• crowm
                        crowm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s cool

After my son lost his license for a year, he joined the Army. Its been years ago, and he is a civilian now. Got his license back, of course...

xcnick, want to rent a couch and shower for $50 a day?

Comment

Three days, you pick, there was something said about fish, but I don't care what we eat. I would pick days you want to go to Northstar. There is public transpo with bike racks. However slow, it would be very fashionable to show up that way. I want to watch the eMTB race 15 and 16th.

Don't insult me with money. That is for the rest of the industry. Tell Eric I want something cool, and it doesn't have to be material.

Actually I have no idea how this Luna thing works, but it was interesting to read what you wrote years ago. I was trying to explain how I pour my heart and soul into build reports so Paxtana will approve a Ludi every time I screw one up.

Tit for tat sounds bad a first, but it is better than supplying content for nothing like most forums. Now I don't know who is ahead, me or customer service. That is better than most of my friends.

And it seems ok on the forum, and so it should be stated, I at least talk favorable about what would be competitors. If I lived near someone who would put a BBSHD on for $175 they could do bike 10 though 20 for me. LUNA has enough cool stuff to be secure. They don't appear overstocked anyways. (Mighty mini 30Q, anybody?)

It came to mind because I got a PM. Woman building a Townie nervous about the newbie thing in public, so did me a PM. REALLY! Pretty woman building a Townie afraid to come to the party? What is wrong with us?

I wanted to say: “Don't worry, Paxtana is paid to be nice to us.”

Comment

• JPLabs
                          JPLabs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I bet your blender WILL run on 52VDC. Probably a universal type motor. I'll try this eventually, with my electric chainsaw.

• xcnick
                          xcnick commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Are you interested in setting up a spectator stand to watch the e-MTB gladiators squirm in PAS up hills that are barely a blip of throttle? I still haven't figured out Luna, but if they want to be different: do this party all over interbike with a Luna banner and remind them it is not just about racing.

• xcnick
                          xcnick commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ECO makes the perfect 52 volt chainsaw

Yeah, me too! I think having a site for Luna-specific customers will really cut down on Luna customers posting in endless-sphere, and since I am also a moderator over there, I am privy to discussions where Luna posters are viewed with skepticism, since some posts can be viewed as a subtle form of spam. This forum will never replace endless-sphere, nor should it. However it is going to very useful for Luna customers who don't want to wade through a 50-page ES thread to get an answer about a Luna product audacity temp mail origin.
                        it's quite normal. It's just that Erics Luna store is fairly new, and some ES readers may be suspicious that you are not really a luna customer, but maybe you are a friend of erics, trying to shill for the luna store. The Luna stores best salesmen are their customers, and ES posters are more used to reading complaints..
                        Last edited by rakivilsov; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X