• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP3Zee
    replied
    Originally posted by ejphotos View Post

Did you go with semi metallic pads?
    Turns out I'm probably going to use my bigger trail bike with 4 piston calipers and 203mm rotors, but it's good info nonetheless
    I just went full resin. I'm gonna keep using these until Shimano has more brakes available. Then I will probably go 180 up front.

Leave a comment:

• ejphotos
    replied
    Originally posted by EP3Zee View Post
    Thanks EJ!
    Here's the story on the brakes. They have exceeded my expectations... Once I swapped out the Tektro pads for Shimano. I thought I would need 180 rotors but so far so good. But seriously replace those pads. Night and day difference.
    Did you go with semi metallic pads?
    Turns out I'm probably going to use my bigger trail bike with 4 piston calipers and 203mm rotors, but it's good info nonetheless

Leave a comment:

• EP3Zee
    replied
    Thanks EJ!
    Here's the story on the brakes. They have exceeded my expectations... Once I swapped out the Tektro pads for Shimano. I thought I would need 180 rotors but so far so good. But seriously replace those pads. Night and day difference.

Leave a comment:

• ejphotos
    replied
    Great looking bike EP3Zee
    How do those Tektro brakes perform from higher speeds? One of my bikes that is a candidate for electric conversion has the same brakes. Wondering about overheating/brake fade issues since they are smaller 160mm 2 piston brakes.

Leave a comment:

• EP3Zee
    replied
    I have been averaging about 25-30 wh/m with my last few rides. I bet your 40 mile range estimate is pretty accurate. The throttle and full rip are addicting as most know.
    I have been playing with my settings and currently have it turned down to 25 amps from 30. The motor was still peaking aeound 1300 watts. I am trying to find a sweet spot between power and range. I may turn it down again and see how I like it. I seeyself getting a Ludicrous Controller in the future.
    Tubeless doesn't save from flats as much as people think. From my experience anyways. The best sealant in my opinion is Orange Seal as their sealant has these little platelets in it that would do the best for sealing.
    I am just being preventative with my tire selection.

Leave a comment:

• 73Eldo
    replied
    I was just re reading your specs and you now have a 21ah and have a 28 on the way? That should get you some decent range. Have you ridden enough yet to get an idea of your range? I would think that 21 should get you 40 miles at least. The 42 42 ratio should be plenty low for paved type of trails which I assume is mostly what you are planning with a smooth tread tire. I only have a 36 on my street bike and it does me just fine. On streets you can usually get enough speed that you don't need the super low gears. Its when you are on the off road trails doing uphill features to need the extra low gears.

The Big Apples were what several people recommended to me last year and they were not hard to find in a 29 so i got em and love em. It kinda looks like maybe that model is on its way out and the Big Ben is the replacement. I don't think either one of them are supposed to be that great for flats but I did over 1000 miles with no issues hauling my fat ass around on the heavy bike. Fall and early spring I rode knobbies on the street bike and it was ok but boy did it feel good when I got the Big Apples on a few weeks ago. Just feels so much smoother and faster with the smooth tread on pavement. I now also have a fat bike so if I need tread I take that. Over the winter I had studded tires on both.

If you have flat issues have you messed with tubeless or some sort of liners? Early on I considered both but it just hasn't been an issue for me so not worth the extra hassle.

I'm pretty happy with the way I have both my rigs set up and I have some spare parts on hand so hopefully I won't have to find out what the supply is going to be like this summer. All I'm waiting for at the moment is a dropper suspension post. Its still showing available direct from PNW but was backorder from my local shop. I wasn't in a huge hurry so I figured I would take my members club discount from the local shop. Weather has been terrible the last few weeks so I have not really missed anything.

Leave a comment:

• EP3Zee
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope to help in anyway I can.
    This frame accepts the 68-73mm kit.
    The BB shell on this Roll is 68mm. It did not require any additional spacers or anything.. I did however read about the lockrings coming loose on some people. So as a bit of preventative maintenance, I wrapped Teflon tape on the threads that would be using the lock rings. I just checked them today after roughly 50 miles and they haven't budged.

Margins these days are all over the place. SRAM and QBP are doing great in the way of giving us a liveable margin. Shimano is a whole different story. I have found parts on Amazon at or below our cost. It is hard justifying a 15 / 20 point margin. But I digress. We dropped a brand because they are transitioning into direct to consumer leaving us with a literal 12pt margin on 2500$ complete.

As for the tires, I love good flat protection. I looked at both the tires you mentioned Eldo and were out of stock. I do have some (I believe) Michelin 2.4's on order that should be in any day now..

Leave a comment:

• 73Eldo
    replied
    Looks like it came out pretty good. Be sure to fill in details like which width drive you used and if you needed any spacers or adapters. Those details will help someone doing a similar build.

I like that style of tire for street and hardpack riding. Schwalbe Big Apple and Big Ben look pretty similar.

Most of us don't know that 100% mark up is still the norm in the bike industry. It was that way when I was in it back around 1990 and I was amazed to find out when I got back in recently that it was still that way. You would think with all the online options that someone would have broke that trend and started price wars like almost every other industry. Its got to be companies like QBP that have really got behind the local shops rather than straight online sales. I wish I had a way to buy stuff at cost but I don't, I only know what the costs are. Best I can do is join the local shops 'clubs' to get deals.

Leave a comment:

• ncmired
    replied
    Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your build!

Leave a comment:

• First build and first post. I present the Specialized Rollmo. BBSHD Roll Elite

Hello all! This is my first ebike build and I could not be happier! After tons of research, everything led me to source the kit and batteries from Luna. While my 1st interaction was kind of meh, everything worked out great. Their shipping and packaging was absolutely brilliant. Everything was nicely packed and secured.
    The build went super smooth. I have been a bicycle mechanic pRoFeSsIoNaLlY for 13 years now so that may have added to the ease of installation. Here is the build breakdown..

2017 (ish, maybe) Specialized Roll Elite
    BBSHD 1000w motor - Repacked with Mobilgrease28
    Samsung 30q 21ah triangle pack
    Eggrider display
    Gearsensor - So glad I got this
    42T Luna Eclipse chainring - Let me say, the offset on this chainring is absolutely necessary. Great Job Guys!!
    Shimano Deore 10 speed drivetrain with 11-42 cassette
    Tektro hydraulic brakes
    Specialized Como handlebars
    Rockshox Judy 30 Air fork - Such a nice upgrade from the rigid alloy fork that came stock
    Wellgo Magnesium platform pedals - The best platform pedal IMOIMOIMO
    Fancy Luna Alloy crank arms
    Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tires with reflective strips - I actually paid retail for these from an online vendor because SBC is sold out until June or July. Paying retail is a tough pill to swallow for shop rats.

I am having so much fun with this bike so far. I wanted to get another battery from Luna but they are sold out. I ended up ordering a 28ah Samsung 40T from Bicycle Motor Works almost 3 weeks ago. Still waiting on Matt to answer some questions.. (crosses fingers after sending a stranger $800) Click image for larger version

Name:	20210423_153425.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	126779 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210423_152642.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	126780 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210304_213839.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	126782 Click image for larger version