Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello from NY! just joined-- attempting a 2007 gary fisher X-caliber 29er w/ BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello from NY! just joined-- attempting a 2007 gary fisher X-caliber 29er w/ BBSHD

hi there. i just joined. i just bought a bbshd kit from luna and im planning on putting it on a 2007 gary fisher X-caliber 29er. i saw a post by "htownmark" about his first build: a 2007 gary fisher cobia 29er. his thread/picture was the closest thing i could find to a match formy base bike,....and im worried that my motor is going to touch the chainstay,..and not mount right.

My first build! 2007 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er BBSHD - Electricbike.com Ebike Forum

here's the reason for my issue: i have to buy the bike tomorrow. or its gone. 500 bucks. pic below. the kit isnt set to get here from luna till friday. so,...im not going to be able to even hold the motor against the bike to even get any idea that im even close.

but then i saw htownmark's post. his 2007 gary fisher cobia bikeframe looks (i'll be frank) IDENTICAL to my 2007 gary fisher X-caliber bikeframe.

or,.. super,.. super-close.

anybody here ever put a bbshd on a 2007 x-caliber? anybody mount a bbshd to any other gary fishers from the 2007-ish area?

heres the pictures. the one of my silver x-cal is straight from the ad. i think $500 is a deal for this bike. (maybe 400) ANYbody with anything about these gary fisher frames chainstays and clearance----fire away. THANK YOU!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chem; 07-14-2021, 05:25 AM.

GF was owned by Trek and tended to use the 73mm width BB. This puts the motor out a little. But it's normal to shim it out if needed, and adjust the chainline with offset chain rings. 40t is about the smallest inset ring, and 42T is more common due to 2 piece construction where only the outer portion can be replaced for wear. That's just about the perfect donor bike. BB7 brakes, and Rockshox Reba air fork. Eyelets on Bontrager rims. Add 200mm front brake rotors, and EBC metallic pads and your good to go. Thudbuster seatpost is usually added also. $500 is about what 29ers go for,and that's a good one.

Comment

thanks--i read that the 2007 msrp was 1400. does that sound accurate? i like how it looks. i may have to get some shims. this weekend will be big---

OH-- do bbshd kits from luna come with the lock nut wrench in the box? --and--what BB removal tool will i need for an x-cal? is there a tool number?
      Last edited by chem; 07-13-2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Mike_V
        Mike_V commented
        Editing a comment
        Consider:
        You'll need a work stand, a set of hand tools and a Luna wrench
        .https://lunacycle.com/tools/

• 2speedBBS02
        2speedBBS02 commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...spx?item=16478
        this is a pretty good description of the bicycle. just want to point out that this is ok bicycle. if it is comfortable.
        ALSO, yesterday afternoon after a couple of beers I jumped on my E. At a rail crossing after waiting for a train I pushed the throttle down to the stop.
        HOWEVER I forgot I had put the chain on the rear cog up to about the 32teeth ring. So these Bafang systems give 100% power. You guys who know
        are already laughing. The bike left and I was still there sitting in mid-air for all to see that gravity is not a theory. Just say'n use care with yer new toy.
        Yes, agreed, center stand is good idea. Just a little more weight. Some guys feel they are not "cool".

Yes that was a pricey hardtail back in the day. 29" wheels were the latest thing, and the butted frame tubes made it lighter. and more expensive, That's not such a big advantage on an E bike except that brings good brakes, wheels, and suspension along with it. A 26" bike like that might be $200 less. You won't need to replace much of anything on that bike to run 35mph..
      Try shopping for a Rockshox Reba 29" fork and you'll see what I mean. They go for about $4-500.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-13-2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• 2speedBBS02
        2speedBBS02 commented
        Editing a comment
        see above post

thats what im wanting--30-ish mph with decent range without the bike having to overexert itself,...and low speed handling.

from building and riding gas 2-stroke bikes for 10 years,..(due to cheap-ness) im tired of even having to think about police constantly in NY,..but electric is 100% legal here.

plus,..those gas bikes with lever clutches are a pain to pedal up to "clutch lever release speed" every single time i stop. for this reason,..riding slowly (and safely) is a pain,...bogs the motor,...and generally makes you want to avoid having to slow down. im tired of THAT. --the constant wanting to not have to slow down,..and all the tactical backflips i would perform and risks i took to avoid slowing down. low-speed handling on those things is garbage. thats scary. and dangerous.

that basically sums up my gas 2-stroke bicycle career. scary,...and dangerous. (and illegal)

i literally hoisted up and flung my gas bike in the trash dumpster last week.

Comment

• Mike_V
        Mike_V commented
        Editing a comment
        C: especially for low speed U turns;
        I think you may appreciate:
        The instant response of Luna full grip 'throttle' is so nice and crisp compared to an actual motorcycle cable throttle and equally 'loose' cable actuated clutch.

The tradeoff between 29" and 26" is low speed operation. The 29" rolls faster, and takes bumps better (much better) but 26" has lower mass for stop light sprints,, and quicker handling at low speeds. if you want to roll fast over bumpy pavement get the 29er. 27.5" is newest and probably the best compromise, bud being newer it will be hard to find a deal on a high end bike. The bike you're looking at is the sweet spot for used bikes. Serious parts, but not paying a huge premium for light weight racing stuff that might break. GF had a patented steering geometry called G2 and are known to handle better than other 29ers. I'm riding a 26" GF/BBSHD myself. It can get up and go but it's happiest sprinting around town. Roads aren't all potholed around here so it works for me. My brother commutes in Brooklyn and has a GF Dual Sport. Not as high end as what you're looking at. Wheel and fork upgrades were expensive but worthwhile. He's not electric but is very happy with the GF 29er in that environment. Schwalbe Big Ben + is the tire I would look at. Flat protection, good grip, and reflective sidewalls. If you need to ride snow Schwalbe has E bike rated toruing tire in the Marathon series also. That's what my brother uses there. When his GF 29er got stolen he found another just like it.

My need for quick launches is based on crossing busy 8 lane roads with 45mph speed "limits". Not needed as much in NYC gridlock.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-14-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

these roads are in quite good condition- and i spend 80% commuting to/from town and the rest on city streets. pavement >90% of the way. all the gasbikes i had were 29s with fat franks and they held up better than i ever expected so,...def going w/the schwalbes. and since im aiming to maximize range, the sooner the better.

Comment

• 2speedBBS02
          2speedBBS02 commented
          Editing a comment
          500.? You will be lucky if it is there still. Older GF bikes are pretty darn good.
          By the way. Battery and controller are very important to match to your desired outcome. How the electric system is set up at the "shop" is quite well done.
          The whole Amps/Watts/Volts thing needs to be considered to get the speed/acceleration etc. you are looking for. My little hot rod bike will do a wheelie or cruse easy at 25mph for 40 plus miles. Takes a touch more work to go faster. This is where power levels(PAS ,gearing ,tune ,volts all that stuff come in. So if I want range then considerations have to be figured in. Example: You wanna go 30mph in a head wind up a simple hill. No range here. Battery gets sucked dry by controller. However downhill why not 40mph.Easy to do by the way, but on pavement you are now risking your life. Things to think about. Luna page very good to help with this stuff.
          Also, bike stand. Cheap solution: Ratcheting cargo strap, hook screwed into ceiling joist. Strap will have two hooks. Loop around top tube and presto you can use ratchet to hoist the thing up by back or front. A little hokey but very easy to store in a drawer until you need again. Also tools sold by Luna are very useful.

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes anything over 25mph sucks battery range. For me 35mph is a run for your life capability I like to have. I have a 2 leg center stand. My bike balances with whichever wheel is off for repair. Stays up in the grass also. Normally with my big battery the rear wheel is off the ground for lube and tune ups. Not every bike will balance this way, but I think a 29er with big battery should be the same.

• chem
          chem commented
          Editing a comment
          i bought it for 500. very solid-feeling for a 6-2" 240 lb rider. a lot lighter than i expected too. very happy. couldnt find a single issue besides the clip-on pedals. its got the 19" frame, but it sits high and the seat post isnt at max height limit with my leg at 95% straight-ness.

for some reason,.. having the seat post maxed always made me nervous.
          Last edited by chem; 07-14-2021, 04:01 PM.

I always go 1 size small on frames for sharper handling. Should work well on an E bike. Fit is just not as big a deal with a big motor. I think the X Caliber (XC?) Was a cross country bike. if so it will be the sharpest handling 29er they could build. Luna had some platform pedals with some suspension built into them. I'm happy with them on my HT.
        If you search my posts and look for Rapid Rise you'll see my urban derailer setup. Offroaders don't get it. But in town it's the way to go.
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-14-2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Seems like it should have been a good deal. $500 doesn't get you much in a new bike if you can find one. At least that should be a lot nicer frame with much nicer stuff on it even if its got a few miles.

Comment

The riding high is due to it being an actual offroad bike. But this works out well because the BBSHD makes it wide at the pedals and they can hit the ground when leaned over in turns on hybrid or comfort bikes. The air fork will let him adjust for the added weight of the conversion. I don't think he could have found a better bike for this.

Comment

First thing I would get are a set of these. The new ones have been upgraded to defeat a known exploit that could remove them.
              https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/co...mm/spare_key-_
              The compnenets on that bike are worth stealing by themsleves.
              You probably already have a good frame lock, but they make one also.
              https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/ho...l#/spare_key-_
              There are other similar products available. But my brother and I have used the component locks without issues.
              Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-15-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

before i get way ahead of myself,.., firstly,..tyvm. secondly,.. im having difficulty finding 29x2.0 or even 29x2.2 TUBELESS road tires. i spent about a full hour. schwalbe mega speed or something with just dimples.......

Comment

just bought the schwalbe marathon almotion 28x2.15's. not bad for $68 a pop. just going to leave current tires on until they wear down.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                  Retrorockit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the old days they used talc for mold release on tires, now they use some kind of slick silicone .Either give the tires a wash when you mount them, or ride some tight figure 8s to scrub it off before you head into traffic on fresh tires. This applies to car and truck tires too.

The old Avid BB7 brakes are much nicer than the SRAM version they sell now. Kind of a collectors item. For a 29er go straight to 200mm front rotor and bracket. Check rotor diameter and caliper alignment. I've had to use the old 203mm bracket with 200mm rotor sometimes. Washers can work also. The front 160mm bracket becomes a rear 180mm bracket if you want to do that also. But on the street without big hills the rear brake doesn't matter too much. EBC Gold (sintered metallic) pads will take all the heat you can put into them, and won't require daily adjustment either. If you don't have new rotors you will need to sand the old organic lining off of the old ones or they will squeal horribly. . This is an old school downhill racing setup, and that fork is rated for that size brake.
                You have to spend about $3-400 to get DH hydraulics that stop as well as those. The metallic lining trick can actually boil the fluid in many hydro brakes.
                BB7s don't get set up with the rotors centered. Find the instructions somewhere and do it right.
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-16-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• chem
                  chem commented
                  Editing a comment
                  for the time being,...i picked up a set of OEM avid sintered pads.

• Retrorockit
                  Retrorockit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good start. The organic pads can get greasy at high speeds. With good pads you modulate the brake pressure lower as the bike slows. With a BBSHD and organic pads you need to keep pulling harder as the pads melt, even though the bike is going slower.

after a thorough degreasing and cleaning,...i got my stuff together today and got started.

crank arms/bb off/out,...motor needs roughly 3-5mm of BB spacer to get the motor's gear housing off my chainstay. not great,...but not horrendously out of whack. without the motor tightened to operating spec,...i cant accurately reckon the exact spacer mm's i need,... but it sure looks like 1/8". i would prefer the motor to be at least a full mm off the chainstay,...we'll see. bought 2 install helper kits from luna,...each containing 8mm worth of varied BB spacers. that should at least get me to the next step which would be getting my chainline finalized.

right now, as is,...it kinda looks like the chainline is going to wind up on the larger cogs of my cassette using the stock bafang 46t ring and 3mm's of BB spacer.

--i didnt think pictures of this most basic step were neccessary,...but will start using the camera from this point forward.

just waiting for the luna install helper kits to arrive.

Last edited by chem; 07-19-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X