Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NorCal DIY Weekend Warrior

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I have been a fan of electric power for years. I am on my third electric car (fueled by solar panels) and now, thanks to DIY kits, have built two very different ebikes.

In January of 2021 I converted the first bike I ever bought brand new (2003 Fuji Cross) with an inexpensive (refurbished) 36v 500w hub kit from ebikeling and a decent Samsung 11.6Ah battery. I thought I might commute (40 mile round trip) but instead my daughter rides this with me on the weekends so I can get a workout, and she can now keep up while I am on my traditional bike.

More recently I converted my Carver Gnarvester MTB, custom built for endurance racing (but that was several years and many pounds ago). This time with a 36v 500w Bafang mid-drive.

I strapped my original 11.6 Ah battery to my MTB frame and put a 10 Ah DIY battery in the bag on rear rack of the Fuji Cross.

I do not know how many titanium 29+ ebikes there are out there, but this one comes in fully loaded (with pedals, and tools) at 42 pounds 1 ounce (on a hanging scale). This makes my MTB, with 2.6" tires, lighter than my road ebike. :-)

I am yet to test this beast out on the trails, and long climbs here in the Sierra Foothills, but when I do, I will report my first ride somewhere here on electricbike.com (and hopefully a video review).

I am sure I will have many questions as this adventure goes on, so I am glad to be a part of this community.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210207_120255716.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	132999 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210727_233013929.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	133000
    Last edited by S.O.B.; 07-27-2021, 05:18 PM.

nice bike.

i also discovered my mtn bike is lighter than any bike ive ever owned. such a pleasant surprise to aquire a bike,. and then brace yourself to lift it and it only requires one arm.

yesssss
    Last edited by chem; 08-01-2021, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Welcome from Sonoma County. I’m up in Tahoe area, mainly Kirkwood & Markleeville, but all visits on hold until Mother Nature improves. Have fun on your e-rides, 2 and four wheeled!

Comment

Working...
      X